Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Pine Coulee Conditions

Has anyone fished the Pine Coulee recently? How was your success? I am planning on taking my two little boys there tomorrow. Any useful input on location/bait will be appreciated.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM

was out this past weekend ice was good fishing was slow gotta hit up the evenings im gonna go tommorow
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM

they arent anywhere near as aggressive as summertime, give them lots of time to take the bait before you set the hook, goes for walleye and burbs both. the pike no worries, if you get one you get one.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM

thanks Wayne always a wealth of knowledge!! im gonna hit up pcr tommorow night for some nigt fishing round 5-6 hope its decent......
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM

sometimes if the bite is slow, try using a hollow worm weight, run the line through it and a bait hook on the end of the line, let them take a bunch of line until you are sure they have the bait, then set the hook. might take a couple to figure out how long to let them run, but you will get it after you miss a couple.
couple more tips for that lake, keep your lights pointed across or away from your holes, not on them, and when your bait is sitting on bottom, watch your line NOT your rod you will see activity long before your rod tip moves, leave the bail open on your reel til you are ready to set the hook

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 02-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 PM

thanks Wayne
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

We have good success with jigs with a stinger treble, 1" from the main hook, baited with a little minnow or something. This picks up a lot of the walleye which can bite very softly.

For burbs, we use big stinky oily fish baits with circle hooks and just let them hook themselves. Bigger baits keep the walleye and small burbs at bay.

These are never fail methods for us.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 AM

What seemed too work for me was a sardine tail on a jig
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Hi Wayne, (all)
We haven't been to PCR yet this ice fishing season because of the warm weather and we have been pretty busy. Does anyone know how the ice conditions are near the bridge? We would like to take our twin boys there maybe this Sat. night but I am nervous just as they are if the ice isn't thick enough.
Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM

If you want to be safe, going out by the boat launch is your best bet..
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks, I have been watching the threads on PCR this winter and the majority of the comments are suggesting that! I can't complain about this beautiful winter we have been having in Calgary!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Hey dollfin, I was out last Saturday night, near the bridge, ice was about 15" about 100' out. Of course it quickly gets thinner the closer you get to the bridge itself.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
Hi Wayne, (all)
We haven't been to PCR yet this ice fishing season because of the warm weather and we have been pretty busy. Does anyone know how the ice conditions are near the bridge? We would like to take our twin boys there maybe this Sat. night but I am nervous just as they are if the ice isn't thick enough.
Thanks
May not be a bad idea to stay away from the ice around the bridge. It always seems to be thinner there and I believe that some of the ice melting chemicals and sand make it onto the lake ice from the road above. They help to melt the ice under the bridge, in addition to the warm weather.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM

I was out about a week ago. The ice looked sketchy around the bridge but you can see where it gets thinner. There were some guys fishing just back from the "line" Not sure I would get any closer then them. The fishing was pretty slow and the bites very light. Almost like they were playing with it a bit. I missed the first 2 then on the 3rd I waited for the 3 bite then set the hook. I was also cutting the smelt down a bit, cutting behind the pectoral fins. seemed to help and it let more sent out as well.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM

just got back from pcr tonite for a few hours... soon as 6pm hit the bite was on, had 5 eyes and a burb in about and hour and a half.... was the only guy out there.. ice was good
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM

How thick is the ice.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM

where i was 15 inches, drilled a hole on north side of bridge after only bout 6 there
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the info,everyone, we couldn't make it out again but this weekend looks promising!