Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Hahahahaha, wow. That is quite the metaphor. Why didn't you just ask him to move over, nicely, with courtesy.. since you are so full of it. instead of playing your childish games.

Again, you missed the part where other long term range members told me there was no point, that he was a jerk and always has been, and he'd do nothing to alleviate the situation because....he's special.

Only thing I'm full of is a strong dislike for people who are discourteous and think they're special. Having a muzzle brake doesn't make you the latter. It should make you More courteous and aware of others. Jerks gonna jerk tho.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
While what you say may be true - it doesn't mean that the jerk can be a jerk. What if the person beside him was a paid up member? Is that when the behavior becomes unacceptable?

Seems that's the case for some. Even though paying guests are a lot more profitable for the range per visit.

Dude felt he was entitled is all and always has been apparently. Per a few "members" they'd be a lot happier if he shot somewhere else.

Brakes have always caused angst between the haves and have nots. Always will. Doesn't have to be that way if some simple courtesies are observed by the haves.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The range I go to we have barriers that are movable to hang up when someone uses a breaked rifle or a semi auto that spits brass.

LC
I think I’ve seen you and the OP at the same range.
I find the dividers help a bit but the noise level coming from the ceiling is brutal. I find the muzzle brakes to be too much for myself, but at the same time we’re all paying members for those spots.
I’ve noticed many more newer members using the range and several that are newer to firearms in general. I’ve just approached people to ask if they’re aware of different rules when it appears they’re about to break them - or when they cross the line to grab an unloaded firearm when the curtain is down - and so far everyone has been very receptive to it and respectful. It’s a little unnerving when a rule such as that is not known with absolute clarity, but always important to speak up. I’m sure the folks down range would appreciate knowing I didn’t let those fellas grab hold of the firearm. I think if people start with dialogue instead of starting with the notion someone is an a-hole, they’d be surprised how many people respond well and appreciate something being said. The few a-holes will reveal themselves right away. It sounds like the one guy mentioned early on in this thread would’ve but I do like to give them the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove it
Old 10-13-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Whats up with all the brakes on rifles these days? Im thinking its a fad. Who needs a break on a 6.5 CM hunting rifle? Who needs a break on a hunting rifle?
Last time i was at Genesee, everyone at the 100 m range had brakes, everyone. It's too much!
Most have them because they think it looks cool, causes a horrendous blast, also cool and gets the attention of everyone else on the range... very kool.

In my mind if you can't handle the recoil of your gun get one you can handle.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Most have them because they think it looks cool, causes a horrendous blast, also cool and gets the attention of everyone else on the range... very kool.

I wasn't going to go there but here's to ya. The 243 and 6mms are lovely.

Personally I love it when I see one on a .22 rf
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 PM

Here’s the takeaway from this thread. If you have a braked rifle, please be considerate and go as far away as is humanly possible from the rest of the crowd. The muzzle blast is way frickin worse for the guys beside you than it is for you. You have the potential to not just ruin a persons day, but potentially their hearing. The concussive waves go right through the people next to you and are thought to cause big damage. Hearing does not return. Be a good person.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
You would most definitely NOT be the most courteous person I would meet. You wouldn't crack the top 100. true strength is not being an asshat when you want to be. But actually being courteous, even to those who you feel don't deserve it. 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' comes to mind. being nice only to those who are nice to you. means your bubble of 'friends' shrinks fast. Even family members who can stand you will shrink. Your behaviour is embarrassing. You deserved the angst you felt shooting beside someone you felt was malicious based on their reputation. you fed into it. Seeing the world as against you is a fundamental choice that affects how you treat others and yourself.
Agree 100%. Well said.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup, it gets bad during hunting season for sure.
I had a guy a while back tell me not to yell at him when he was on the range .
I told him everybody has plugs or muffs in, and an RSO NEEDS to yell so everyone can understand when a cease fire is called or the range is open.
his reply? " I didn't have my plugs in yet"
The range was open and people were firing when I called the cease fire!
Cat
Common sense is not so common for some people.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Again, you missed the part where other long term range members told me there was no point, that he was a jerk and always has been, and he'd do nothing to alleviate the situation because....he's special.

Only thing I'm full of is a strong dislike for people who are discourteous and think they're special. Having a muzzle brake doesn't make you the latter. It should make you More courteous and aware of others. Jerks gonna jerk tho.
That's funny considering what your solution was in dealing with this guy. Hope there wasn't a mirror close by.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:

I don't use brakes on my hunting rifles but do have one on my competition rifles. I don't have one because I think it looks cool but it does reduce muzzle flip and helps me see impacts and aids in spotting your own shots. I shoot a lot from my tripod and improvised positions but try to stay away from other shooters because I know it may affect someone else. I won't whine though if someone beside me is shooting with a brake. It's a shooting range and expect you may encounter someone shooting with a brake. If you can't handle that take up golf, shoot at your own range or go to crown land.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Common sense is not so common for some people.
And based on one’s perspective so it is like a fart in the wind....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Your generalization is hilarious. People will be people because they can, some people will buy brakes because they can for various reasons, just like you and 270 can whine about then for various reason. All the people bashin 270 for childish behaviour and people on other people about using brakes won’t change anything. Others have it figured out and just talk to people
Old 10-14-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I don't use brakes on my hunting rifles but do have one on my competition rifles. I don't have one because I think it looks cool but it does reduce muzzle flip and helps me see impacts and aids in spotting your own shots. I shoot a lot from my tripod and improvised positions but try to stay away from other shooters because I know it may affect someone else. I won't whine though if someone beside me is shooting with a brake. It's a shooting range and expect you may encounter someone shooting with a brake. If you can't handle that take up golf, shoot at your own range or go to crown land.
Save the righteousness. Regardless of 270s response, the guy plunked himself down beside him when there were multiple benches open further away. That’s the point. No one on this thread said they should be banned. I’ve offered a solution, but courtesy would be a good place to start. This guy didn’t show any.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Save the righteousness. Regardless of 270s response, the guy plunked himself down beside him when there were multiple benches open further away. That’s the point. No one on this thread said they should be banned. I’ve offered a solution, but courtesy would be a good place to start. This guy didn’t show any.
I agree with you but courtesy works both ways.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Just ranting. I always use both plugs and muffs at the range and set up away from them as much as possible. Most breaks are not too bad but there are a few that it's no fun to be shooting beside when ones on the neighboring bench. I have a Krieger 6BR barrel that came with a muzzle break when I got my switch barrel gun, why it on a 6br is beyond me, its a heavy gun and makes no real difference in recoil as it has almost none to begin with but is just loud and annoying so I rarely use it. Will get a cut and re crown one of these days.

I wouldn't waste valuable range time to play golf though, that's crazy talk..
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Also maybe if this guy is about to set up how about talking to him prior to him settling in and asking if he could move a few benches over. It seems like we don't know how to talk to each other anymore.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Also maybe if this guy is about to set up how about talking to him prior to him settling in and asking if he could move a few benches over. It seems like we don't know how to talk to each other anymore.
That’s what I used to do. Politely. I will tell you that ignorant people who think they own the range have basically told me to shove it up my rear end when I have asked them if they could move over to the benches at the end of the range. I also had a guy at CHAS who wanted to fight when I told him not to handle his gun when people are down range changing targets.

So please, for those of you who think common sense and courtesy is the answer, think again. And if you don’t believe me, drive the QEII on a long weekend.

Without a clearly defined range policy, you are right in the position that Twisted Canuck, myself, and countless others have found themselves in… multiple benches open and Rambo needs to set himself up right next to you, and blow your eardrums out. No thanks.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
That’s what I used to do. Politely. I will tell you that ignorant people who think they own the range have basically told me to shove it up my rear end when I have asked them if they could move over to the benches at the end of the range. I also had a guy at CHAS who wanted to fight when I told him not to handle his gun when people are down range changing targets.

So please, for those of you who think common sense and courtesy is the answer, think again. And if you don’t believe me, drive the QEII on a long weekend.

Without a clearly defined range policy, you are right in the position that Twisted Canuck, myself, and countless others have found themselves in… multiple benches open and Rambo needs to set himself up right next to you, and blow your eardrums out. No thanks.
It's surprising how ignorant some people can become when their actions at the range are questioned. One of the RSOs at my former range politely reminded a group of three that eye protection was mandatory at the range, and one of the group became belligerent , and asked where this was stated in the rules, and how members were supposed to know this. The RSO suggested that the guy read the writing painted on the top of the bench he was using, as reminders about mandatory ear and eye protection were painted across the top of each bench. The guy grudgingly put on safety glasses, and the RSO left, but mentioned it to the club president who was at the clubhouse having a discussion with a few executive members, including myself. The president decided to walk over, and the guy was not wearing glasses as he was shooting,so the president reminded him that is was range policy. The guy blew up, started swearing, and went on a tirade, screaming that he purchased a membership to be able to shoot, not to be hassled by A-holes. He screamed that he was going to take this up with the executive, at which point the president introduced himself. The president then returned to the clubhouse, we held a quick executive vote, and the guys swipe card was deactivated, and his membership revoked.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Maybe if we could run suppressed?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Yes!!!
Old 10-14-2021, 11:20 AM

Wink Don't like the noise? Leave.

Quote:
I agree with you but courtesy works both ways.
Nowadays, when someone with a braked rifle decides to set up next to someone without a braked rifle when there are perfectly good alternatives available? It shows where they are on the courteous scale. Non offered, non given.
When all the shooting benches are full, it is what it is.

FTR- I would bet that 270person's solution to the problem will be used in the future by the regular range members who observed it.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Common sense and curtesy is not always the answer but it’s always my first response before becoming an A hole. Unfortunately the respectful approach only works with people who are willing to be civil. The only time it works on jerks if you have a presence of someone they don’t want to provoke.

There is no solve all answer to dealing with other people but I believe there is good first steps to test the waters and hopefully solve things with out conflict

I promote always trying the respectful approach but I won’t lie if they react poorly respect goes out the window. I am not as nice as 270person but that is a matter of reading the person and knowing how far to push or if it’s worth it even

Every interaction is different and you can see a jerk try to bully his way with some yet avoid conflict with others

Only way to possibly address it in another peaceful manner is approaching your club about making partitions mandatory when shooting rifles with a muzzle break but that is another battle
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Yes please!
Old 10-14-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
At least he could have sent a text.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:13 PM

I went to the range to sight in my 30-378 Weatherby which came with a brake. I fired the first shot and wondered what the heck happened, I think I gave myself and the others there a concussion...I could hear moans, groans and expletives from the other shooters. Needless to say I wasn't going to fire another shot with the brake on so I took it off and put the cap on and got ready to fire my second shot. That was no better, my glasses flew off my face, my hearing protection along with my hat landed a few feet behind me........put rifle back in the case and took my 22 out to finish off my session. Much later, went to some crown land to sight in with the brake on.........needless to say gun was sent down the road.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My type of range….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I went to the range to sight in my 30-378 Weatherby which came with a brake. I fired the first shot and wondered what the heck happened, I think I gave myself and the others there a concussion...I could hear moans, groans and expletives from the other shooters. Needless to say I wasn't going to fire another shot with the brake on so I took it off and put the cap on and got ready to fire my second shot. That was no better, my glasses flew off my face, my hearing protection along with my hat landed a few feet behind me........put rifle back in the case and took my 22 out to finish off my session. Much later, went to some crown land to sight in with the brake on.........needless to say gun was sent down the road.
This made me laugh. Thanks for that.
The same thing basically happened to me the first time I shot one.
Startled the heck out of me and my poor old 89 year old Fatherinlaw who tagged along with me. He was mostly deaf before, more so after poor guy.
I never kept the rifle either.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
When they started taking preorders for the 30-378, I put down a deposit on an Accumark, but after a few months I had a custom 300RUM built. By the time the 30-378 arrived, several months later, I had my custom 300RUM, and it shot so well, I sold the 30-378 to a coworker. I was at the range when he fired it for the first time, and his experience was quite similar to yours. With the brake, it was deafening, without, recoil was harsh. His 30-378 produced about 60fps more than my 300RUM, but my 300RUM was so much more comfortable to shoot with the McMillan stock and heavier contour barrel, and no brake. At that point, I could not have been more happy to have sold that rifle.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:28 PM

I've been watching this thread since the beginning, all the while thinking how lucky I am that I very rarely come across braked rifles at my range...fast forward to this afternoon.

I took 3 rifles down for some trigger time, just as I'm touching off the first few rounds someone else comes in. I'm sitting in the middle of the benches, there are 3 empty benches on each side of me...he sits directly to my right with a braked rifle. I had a little chuckle to myself. I asked if he would mind sliding down a bench or two and he seemed happy to comply.

5 minutes later someone else comes in, braked rifle and starts setting up directly to my left this time. I asked if he would mind sliding over a bench or 2, he gave me a funny look but agreed.

I supposed it's hunting season so everyone is bringing out the big boom sticks. I just couldn't believe the odds.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The range I go to we have barriers that are movable to hang up when someone uses a breaked rifle or a semi auto that spits brass.

LC
That seems like a pretty reasonable idea. It would make shooting a bit more comfortable for sure, especially during the busy times.