Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default Archery specific draws

Does anybody have any inclination as to whether or not the 2017 regs might have some archery specific draws / seasons? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:23 PM
MugEye's Avatar
MugEye MugEye is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 251
Default

I hope so
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 PM
csimps csimps is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Default

That would be nice... but not sure it will happen. Archery still offers a longer season and more access to the same species in certain cases (cow and bull elk).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I hope so
Me too
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimps View Post
That would be nice... but not sure it will happen. Archery still offers a longer season and more access to the same species in certain cases (cow and bull elk).
I agree to an extent. But why not have a specific archery draw where a special license is required for the bows only season? Most people that draw these special licenses are gun hunters and have no interest in bow hunting anyway. Similarly, I don't have any interest in the rifle season so why not split the tags so that hunters can apply to pull a tag in the season of their preference? it just doesn't seem optimal IMO
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Predator Ultimate Predator is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 807
Default

I wish they would split draw to!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 24,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimps View Post
That would be nice... but not sure it will happen. Archery still offers a longer season and more access to the same species in certain cases (cow and bull elk).
It's going to come down to...choose your tool for a draw tag. No more well if I don't get it with the bow I'll use the gun. One or the other.

Won't be able to enter both draw pools.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 AM
The moose's Avatar
The moose The moose is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 377
Default

Archery specific draw pool would be the best thing to happen to the regs in many years. so it wont happen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Slicktricker Slicktricker is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 657
Default

Or if you get drawn and want to hunt bow use bow don't use rifle pretty easy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It's going to come down to...choose your tool for a draw tag. No more well if I don't get it with the bow I'll use the gun. One or the other.

Won't be able to enter both draw pools.

LC
Exactly...Seems like a no brainer to me
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Or if you get drawn and want to hunt bow use bow don't use rifle pretty easy
Sure, I guess if you like competing with the many times more gun hunters for tags and waiting forever to get drawn.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 24,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootScoot View Post
Sure, I guess if you like competing with the many times more gun hunters for tags and waiting forever to get drawn.
It's all going to come down to allocating tags...we are all fighting over a peice of the pie. Hunter numbers aren't going down....animal numbers aren't going up. It could be a careful what you wish for situation. Until they define allocations, careful what you wish for.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
kujoseto kujoseto is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,069
Default

I prefer the way it is. General tags with my bow. Changing it will likely reduce those opportunities further. Already lost out on my moose season with a bow and general tag and don't want to see it happen to elk too. If that happens I'll be eating a lot of bear lol
__________________
AHEIA and NASP instructor
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It's all going to come down to allocating tags...we are all fighting over a peice of the pie. Hunter numbers aren't going down....animal numbers aren't going up. It could be a careful what you wish for situation. Until they define allocations, careful what you wish for.

LC
This is true, but as long as allocations are reasonable, it should be a good thing for bow hunters
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I prefer the way it is. General tags with my bow. Changing it will likely reduce those opportunities further. Already lost out on my moose season with a bow and general tag and don't want to see it happen to elk too. If that happens I'll be eating a lot of bear lol
It wouldn't affect the seasons that are general bows only seasons right now...it is only referring to the seasons that currently require a special license to hunt in the bows only season.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,028
Default Tags

I don't shoot many animals with the rifle as I'm predominantly a bowhunter however I think I like it the way it is now. The system works, it's fair to everyone and we take our turns. Th only reason to bring this in is for archery hunters who want more opportunity than they have now. Then when the crossbows make their way into the "archery only" season we'll all be singing the blues.

No sir, it's fine like this
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 24,822
Default

IMHO there are other things to spend time to focus on, like defining "resident" and bringing in a minimum amount of resident time to be considered as one....much like BC and the Yukon.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
buck403's Avatar
buck403 buck403 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Berta
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Or if you get drawn and want to hunt bow use bow don't use rifle pretty easy
I agree
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:50 PM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I don't shoot many animals with the rifle as I'm predominantly a bowhunter however I think I like it the way it is now. The system works, it's fair to everyone and we take our turns. Th only reason to bring this in is for archery hunters who want more opportunity than they have now. Then when the crossbows make their way into the "archery only" season we'll all be singing the blues.

No sir, it's fine like this
I think you're a closet gun hunter and want to keep your ability to hunt both seasons haha jk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:50 PM
BootScoot BootScoot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO there are other things to spend time to focus on, like defining "resident" and bringing in a minimum amount of resident time to be considered as one....much like BC and the Yukon.

LC
I agree that that is important, too
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23 PM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,797
Default

I was in the split draw camp previously, and it does seem like that is the preferred option, but all is not well...hearing (second and third hand, so it's worth what you paid for it) rumblings that the allocations are not going to be what any resident hunter hoped for, nor are the waits going to be lower. They are using some rather optimistic success percentages in their calculations, and poor population estimates, among other things. A certain ethnic group is likely going to become a much large factor in game management policy and we know how that plays out for the rest of us.

I don't think any of us, regardless of hunting method of choice, are going to benefit from changes made by antihunting biologists, during the reign of an antihunting government, all done behind closed doors. It should have been done 3 years ago with the previous open process or put off until after the next election.

I really hope I'm wrong. But I'll go on record here saying the vast majority of hunters, of all stripes, are going to wish these changes never happened.
__________________
DEER!!! No...nope. Hay bale.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Morbius131 Morbius131 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 670
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO there are other things to spend time to focus on, like defining "resident" and bringing in a minimum amount of resident time to be considered as one....much like BC and the Yukon.

LC
I totally agree with this!

Morb
__________________
To speak without thinking is like shooting without aiming!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
petew petew is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,528
Default

We need fewer draws and less over the counter tags for NON RESIDENTS.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Bonescreek's Avatar
Bonescreek Bonescreek is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 806
Default

I would like to see that happen down here in the states but doulbt I'll ever
see it. I'm sure we do have archery only draws in many states today but
all I've seen are inside of city limits.

Hunting for deer inside town or city limits is disscusting, like shooting a dog
next door cause nobody else had the heart to put him down.
Sucks.

Funny how there is a big difference between hunting and culling. Aint it.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 01-11-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
kujoseto kujoseto is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
We need fewer draws and less over the counter tags for NON RESIDENTS.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO there are other things to spend time to focus on, like defining "resident" and bringing in a minimum amount of resident time to be considered as one....much like BC and the Yukon.

LC
LC, that would be too simple and logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootScoot View Post
It wouldn't affect the seasons that are general bows only seasons right now...it is only referring to the seasons that currently require a special license to hunt in the bows only season.
I'm not convinced it wouldn't have an impact. Frog in cold water, heat turned on to boil
__________________
AHEIA and NASP instructor
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootScoot View Post
I think you're a closet gun hunter and want to keep your ability to hunt both seasons haha jk

I think you're out of line. Does "JK" mean we can say anything we want? I already told you I'm predominantly a bow hunter but yes I do like to rifle hunt too and I love black powder hunting...I'm not advocating for a black powder season benefit myself. I collect my points and hunt how I see fit.

This is anothe of Brent Watsons bright ideas his specific words were "there's too many bowhunters in Alberta." He's mostly upset that he can't hunt Mulies every year on a general tag because there's lots of other folks who like bowhunting Mulies too. Ergo if the seasons are split the folks who would patiently collect priority points and wait their turn to hunt with the weapon of their choice will be required to choose. Is this where I put in the "JK?" Brent and company want to weed out the hunters of convenience, the people who use a bow to take advantage of more hunting opportunity.

Folks collect priority and should be allowed to use the hunt as they see fit.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 5,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO there are other things to spend time to focus on, like defining "resident" and bringing in a minimum amount of resident time to be considered as one....much like BC and the Yukon.

LC
That's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I really hope I'm wrong. But I'll go on record here saying the vast majority of hunters, of all stripes, are going to wish these changes never happened.
I really hope you're wrong, too... But I could totally see this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I'm not convinced it wouldn't have an impact. Frog in cold water, heat turned on to boil
Good analogy!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Morbius131 Morbius131 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 670
Default Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
I would like to see that happen down here in the states but doulbt I'll ever
see it. I'm sure we do have archery only draws in many states today but
all I've seen are inside of city limits.

Hunting for deer inside town or city limits is disscusting, like shooting a dog
next door cause nobody else had the heart to put him down.
Sucks.

Funny how there is a big difference between hunting and culling. Aint it.
I am interested to know what you mean by "hunting deer inside town or city limits"...are you referring to the bowzones of Alberta ie. 248?

At the end of the day I also agree with the fewer draws and fewer over the counter tags to non-residents.

Morb
__________________
To speak without thinking is like shooting without aiming!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Bonescreek's Avatar
Bonescreek Bonescreek is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 806
Default

Not refering to zone 248 directly.

Indirectly yes, we have "zones" down here in the states that are designated
as "Bow only" many are within or around city/town limits.

Reason being it is understood that it is a much safer way of maintaining
deer and bear etc. herds in human populated areas using a projectile that
will average a range of impact 30 yards or less.

Example .. A bow hunter in a tree stand 17 feet high shooting down at a deer
standing 20 yards away. The angle of the shot will put the projectile into the
ground at less than 50 yards no question about it.

All the above is about safety first and foremost, herd population and health
is second. This is all fine and correct.
And restricting hunting of these areas for that reason alone is justified.

There is another aspect of the difference hunting with a bow versus hunting
with a gun, a big difference and it relates to herd management as much as
it relates to managing hunters, maybe more so hunters.

What I have not seen yet is designated areas or zones in areas outside of
city limits dedicated to bow hunting only.

Where populations of animals not humans are bordering healthy to fair or fair to poor for example.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 01-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Slicktricker Slicktricker is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 657
Default

Edmonton bow zone is one. And there's plenty of zones that are archery all the way to November 1st how much more do they need? I'm a bow hunter and love the way it is
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.