Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default What's your cartridge/gun for your Hunting priorities

It's always good discussion ...

So the game to include are these big game animals

1--- deer
2--- black bear
3--- sheep
4--- moose
5--- elk

What makes you choose your cartridge ? Does your number 1 choice of game to hunt dictate the rest or do you have multiple guns for the list ..

For me I have mostly switched to the 300 WSM because my order of these are

1--- elk
2----black bear
3---- moose
4 --- deer
5---- sheep , probably no more

Last edited by Rio56; 01-08-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 31,739
Default

My go to rifle never changes , Ruger single shot in .303
If I choose a different rifle it is only because I want to hunt with that particular rifle , not because I am after a different animal
Cat
__________________
what power? FFP--SFP?paralax? Heck with it, I'm screwing on the Centrals and diopter- pass me my single point sling!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Bergerboy's Avatar
Bergerboy Bergerboy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hiding in peas
Posts: 4,044
Default

280AI for all. 7mm Rem Mag performance without the muzzle blast and recoil. I just have different loadings as to what animal I am chasing.
__________________
When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspense.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 AM
elkdump's Avatar
elkdump elkdump is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a tree near ALTA
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My go to rifle never changes , Ruger single shot in .303
If I choose a different rifle it is only because I want to hunt with that particular rifle , not because I am after a different animal
Cat
Is it possible to get a " time out " for being sensible , even if it happens to a moderator ( definition > moderate)
__________________
Cookoo for Justin's cookoo puffs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 29,138
Default

Mo go to big game rifle is a custom bolt action in 7mmstw. Although I have tried other cartridges, that has been my go to combination for over 25 years
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 PM
greywolf greywolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: red deer
Posts: 769
Default

Since 1995,
One Gun; Ruger
One Caliber; 30.06
One Bullet; hand loaded hornady 165 grain BTSP;
Over 50 big game animals taken, from antelope right up to bison;
most were one shot kills.

Before that,
1979-1994
One Gun; Winchester Model 70
One Caliber; 308
Two bullets, hand loaded hornady 150 or 165 grain BTSP, settled on 150 near the end;
Just under 50 big game animals taken, from antelope right up to Moose;
most were one shot kills.

I know, boring, lol.

Last edited by greywolf; 01-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Ranch11 Ranch11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,029
Default

I'm not a sheep hunter but for the rest is a 35 whelen, semi custom in Winchester m70 featherweight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Kurt505's Avatar
Kurt505 Kurt505 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 8,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
280AI for all. 7mm Rem Mag performance without the muzzle blast and recoil. I just have different loadings as to what animal I am chasing.
^^^This is my favorite as well, for no special reason other than it works.^^^
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Since 1995,
One Gun; Ruger
One Caliber; 30.06
One Bullet; hand loaded hornady 165 grain BTSP;
Over 50 big game animals taken, from antelope right up to bison;
most were one shot kills.

Before that,
1979-1994
One Gun; Winchester Model 70
One Caliber; 308
Two bullets, hand loaded hornady 150 or 165 grain BTSP, settled on 150 near the end;
Just under 50 big game animals taken, from antelope right up to Moose;
most were one shot kills.

I know, boring, lol.
not boring at all " beware of the man with one gun " lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM
.300ultramag .300ultramag is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sparwood BC
Posts: 216
Default

Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor, sheep is the only priority until the knees wear out.

If I am lucky enough to pull a spring grizzly license the 300 ultra comes out, if only.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 1,943
Default

I finally settled on the.338-06 as the one cartridge that covers all my Big Game hunting requirements.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM
prarie_boy1 prarie_boy1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 286
Default

I have sold the majority of my center fire big game rifles and aside from my trusty .303 which wont be getting sold I have a custom .30-06 with a rail mounted so I can swap scopes which are sighted in for different loads. Leave my 2.5-8 VX3 sighted in with my hunting loads and my 6.5-20X50 is sighted in for my target loads/coyote control, works pretty good for me thus far.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 29,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
not boring at all " beware of the man with one gun " lol
Except than in many cases the person with only one gun rarely shoots it, because he isn't really interested in shooting. These people often put their rifle away after huntimg season, and don't even look at it again until next season.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
not boring at all " beware of the man with one gun " lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Except than in many cases the person with only one gun rarely shoots it, because he isn't really interested in shooting. These people often put their rifle away after huntimg season, and don't even look at it again until next season.
not sure why you would say that Elk , he is very proficient with that rifle ... having one gun does not say you don't go to the range .. SHOOTING is not hunting , I know you shoot a lot ...... let's not discourage anyone from only owning 1 rifle .. anyway ...

Last edited by Rio56; 01-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:47 PM
RobTurbo's Avatar
RobTurbo RobTurbo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Default

Currently shooting a 30-06, mainly cause I'm a ***** and not a fan of magnum recoil.It has taken Moose, Bear and Deer all with one shot. As the old timers will say placement over cartridge all day long. That being said rechambering the '06 into a 338-06 is in the plans just for ****s and giggles.

Been looking into a lightweight 270 for the wife's sheep gun although her 308 would likely work, it is a bit heavy and makes a great excuse to add another rifle to the safe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:55 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 9,682
Default

6-284...fast, flat, very little recoil, extremely accurate, new bullet designs have made this little one deadly.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 PM
muirsy muirsy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 48
Default

I'm a new hunter, so my Ruger American in 270 seems to have given me good bang for my buck for what my priorities are.

Jut bought a Marlin 1895 SBL off of a friend though - that should take care of my unnecessary 'need' to have a thumper in my arsenal haha
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
I'm a new hunter, so my Ruger American in 270 seems to have given me good bang for my buck for what my priorities are.

Jut bought a Marlin 1895 SBL off of a friend though - that should take care of my unnecessary 'need' to have a thumper in my arsenal haha
lol... good stuff ... you're having gun fun already ... love those 45's here's new avatar for awhile... and I over 60 ..never goes away

Last edited by Rio56; 01-08-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:31 PM
hal53's Avatar
hal53 hal53 is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lougheed,Ab.
Posts: 11,996
Default

7mm Rem. Mag with 160gr Nosler Partition handloads, lots of other guns in the safe, but when I'm going hunting it seems the Ruger comes out, used it for everything from Antelope to Moose, Elk, Sheep etc. hasn't let me down over many years..
__________________
The future ain't what it used to be - Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Erik's Avatar
Erik Erik is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edm
Posts: 1,158
Default

.270 Win for me. it was my first gun and now I've gone to a Vanguard instead of a Savage, but stuck with the same caliber. I own other guns, but the .270 win is my main hunting rig. I have often debated going to 30-06 for greater bullet variety in a similar cartridge, but for some reason the charm of the 270 has stuck for me.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
7mm Rem. Mag with 160gr Nosler Partition handloads, lots of other guns in the safe, but when I'm going hunting it seems the Ruger comes out, used it for everything from Antelope to Moose, Elk, Sheep etc. hasn't let me down over many years..
yups ... so very right .. have one
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:45 PM
rocpilefsj's Avatar
rocpilefsj rocpilefsj is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 631
Default

Remington 700 in 30-06 is my go to Gun
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Altaboy Altaboy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
280AI for all. 7mm Rem Mag performance without the muzzle blast and recoil. I just have different loadings as to what animal I am chasing.
7 mag, cuz it really is better than a .280 AI.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Rugersingle's Avatar
Rugersingle Rugersingle is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NEBC
Posts: 255
Default

Eight of the last 10 BG critters have all been with my custom # 1 in 275 Rigby (7x57). From moose sized down to sheep sized. And a few coyotes thrown in for good measure The other two were with a .308. I have any number to choose from but the .275 is my first choice. Unless its grizzly bear country...then usually I pack something a little Bigger.
__________________
Octagon barrels are "IN" ... they never were "OUT" !!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM
trackrig trackrig is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 93
Default

I have several rifles, all Sako Finnbears L61Rs, in 300H&H, 300 Win Mag, 338 and 375. Have never shot the last three, just bought them because I like them. I sold two 300 Weatherbys.

I only hunt moose now days and just keep going back to the 300 H&H. I can change bullet weights if I want to hunt something else. It will take care of a bear if one bothers me out there. It doesn't damage as much meat as the larger cartridges and shoots flatter if I need to reach out there.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
6.5swedeforelk 6.5swedeforelk is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: N. Canada
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
I have sold the majority of my center fire big game rifles and aside from my trusty .303 which wont be getting sold I have a custom .30-06 with a rail mounted so I can swap scopes which are sighted in for different loads. Leave my 2.5-8 VX3 sighted in with my hunting loads and my 6.5-20X50 is sighted in for my target loads/coyote control, works pretty good for me thus far.
So you change loads AND scopes on your 30-06?

You must be a juggler, what with in deer season those
$130 silky pale "prarie coyotes" running around.

I guess with a 30-06 you don't skin them... in the normal sense, that is.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM
warriorboy10 warriorboy10 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Campbelltown
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
6-284...fast, flat, very little recoil, extremely accurate, new bullet designs have made this little one deadly.
I concure!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:27 PM
robfraser robfraser is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 187
Default Cartridge/Rifle

Ross Seyfreid who has pretty good credentials wrote a very interesting article on the ideal hunting cartridge.
If you want to read it google " Busting the magnum myth, choosing your ideal hunting cartridge by Ross Seyfried.
Let us know if you agree.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM
elkdump's Avatar
elkdump elkdump is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a tree near ALTA
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Ross Seyfreid who has pretty good credentials wrote a very interesting article on the ideal hunting cartridge.
If you want to read it google " Busting the magnum myth, choosing your ideal hunting cartridge by Ross Seyfried.
Let us know if you agree.
That is just as true as " condoms prevent crime"
__________________
Cookoo for Justin's cookoo puffs
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 1,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Ross Seyfreid who has pretty good credentials wrote a very interesting article on the ideal hunting cartridge.
If you want to read it google " Busting the magnum myth, choosing your ideal hunting cartridge by Ross Seyfried.
Let us know if you agree.
The gist of that article is a real good dose of reality. We can differ a bit with his final choice of a particular cartridge but overall, he's bang on.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.