Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 AM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default 1285 Fox

I thought some of you might find this intersting.

Some of you may have seen this on facebook, for those who haven't, how's this for a seasons catch?




I love the last comment.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 AM
shakeyleg02's Avatar
shakeyleg02 shakeyleg02 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: southern alberta
Posts: 1,955
Default

Thats a busy busy man too bad they dont fetch a good price auction ..thanx for sharing keg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,150
Default

Quite a picture ,a lot of work and time in getting them. Im betting Martys barn pic of coyotes beats this guys paycheck by a long ways .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,484
Default

That guy sure goes hard, would be interesting to know some of his fox trapping technique. Now I know why we get such poor prices for our fox.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Tfng Tfng is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
That guy sure goes hard, would be interesting to know some of his fox trapping technique. Now I know why we get such poor prices for our fox.
He posts a bit over on Trapperman.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM
waterninja waterninja is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 10,910
Default

1285 in one year? On a 100 mile trapline? That is unbelievable. WOW is right. you wouldn't think there could be that many foxes in that amount of area. What an awesome pic.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:37 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
1285 in one year? On a 100 mile trapline? That is unbelievable. WOW is right. you wouldn't think there could be that many foxes in that amount of area. What an awesome pic.
I wonder if there are even that many Fox in all of Alberta.

It's not like I see one or more every day. If I see one a month I've seen a lot for that month.
And the tracks suggest I'm seeing all there is out there.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:12 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,484
Default

Keg, your Northern area probably has high wolf and coyote numbers. My guess is they are keeping the fox numbers in check. The Parkland areas in Alberta appear to produce high numbers of fox by guys targeting coyotes and catching fox in their snares.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keg, your Northern area probably has high wolf and coyote numbers. My guess is they are keeping the fox numbers in check. The Parkland areas in Alberta appear to produce high numbers of fox by guys targeting coyotes and catching fox in their snares.
I lived in Wetaskiwin for 18 years, the rest of my 62 years on this planet have been spent in this area.

Things change. I don't know what it's like around central Alberta. Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Pigeon Lake, these days but I know that when I lived there there were far more Coyotes there then here.
And I know that the Coyote population here is about the same as it was when I was a kid.
And right now we have very few Fox and a ton of Wolves.

I don't see any connection between Coyote numbers and Wolf numbers.
The wolf population here was low up into the 1980s. Now it's very high, but the Coyote numbers seem about the same now as they were then.

I'm not sure about Fox, they haven't been around long enough for me to even start to draw any conclusions about their interaction with Wolves or Coyotes.

There were no Fox in the Wetaskiwin area when I lived there and next to none here back then either.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 PM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Things change. I don't know what it's like around central Alberta. Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Pigeon Lake, these days but I know that when I lived there there were far more Coyotes there then here.
And I know that the Coyote population here is about the same as it was when I was a kid.
And right now we have very few Fox and a ton of Wolves.
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM
AlbertaAl AlbertaAl is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I thought some of you might find this intersting.

Some of you may have seen this on facebook, for those who haven't, how's this for a seasons catch?




I love the last comment.
really ?????????
"Gullable" readers.. picture isn't real ... modified internet photo...jezzzzzzzzzzz
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,278
Default

Maybe you just need to view the picture from a different angle, Al.

__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Redneck 7 Redneck 7 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The best place on earth.
Posts: 419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.
Not to derail the thread but I seen a racoon at the farm that it east of wainwright 20 minutes, and my brother seen one working on a lease one day by red deer.


That fox number is insane, I wonder how many he's caught in the years from then till now.
__________________
Check out my Facebook and YouTube page! Like and comment on anything you enjoy!

https://facebook.com/Steady-Outdoors...?ref=bookmarks

https://youtube.com/channel/UC0C7kjmNOBzLMOw2Qz9M5QA
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.
I read something similar. I don't doubt that much is true but it wouldn't have had anything to do with the presence of Wolves and it would have been well before my time.

Around here, there were as many Coyote when I was a kid as there are now. The Wolf numbers however have increased dramatically.

My dad came to the Peace country in 1927, there were about the same number of Coyotes then as there were when he died in 1988, or so he said.
And there were Wolves, more then there was when I was a kid from what dad said.

Fox were different. When he came into the country they were increasing.
By 1950 they were the staple of many trappers income. Then the rabies plaque and subsequent poisoning program wiped them out.
There were none anywhere in the district when I started learning how to trap. The first Fox I saw in the Peace district was a classic Silver that I saw east of Codotte lake in 1978.
The first Fox I caught walked into a Lynx snare of mine the winter of 1992.
Now I see them all over the north but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Not to derail the thread but I seen a racoon at the farm that it east of wainwright 20 minutes, and my brother seen one working on a lease one day by red deer.


That fox number is insane, I wonder how many he's caught in the years from then till now.
They seem to be increasing in the province but I doubt they will ever be plentiful. I think our winters will keep their numbers low, and confined to the south.

Dad talked a lot about seeing Skunks in the Peace district when he moved here but not Raccoon.
He had learned trapping by trapping Raccoon in Nova Scotia when he was a kid but he often said he had never seen one west of Thunder Bay.

I saw them in Vancouver when I lived there in the early seventies. They were all over the place down there.
I hear reports of them here, some from family members but I've never seen one here or even a track of one.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,484
Default

Keg, my understanding is most racoon in Alberta are generally in Southern portion. It is probably result of migration north from Montana as weather has warmed in last few years. It is considered as a fur bearing animal in Alberta.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Trappermatt Trappermatt is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
really ?????????
"Gullable" readers.. picture isn't real ... modified internet photo...jezzzzzzzzzzz
That pic and the man are as real as they come , Phil just broke the 1000 fox mark again this year as of a few days ago
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Marty S Marty S is offline
AO Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,012
Default

I ran into Mr brown at the NAFA sale a couple of times... super nice guy! A hard working guy and a knowledgeable trapper. He gave me his pict and I got it blown up and is on the wall in the depot.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 AM
kingrat kingrat is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: prince albert
Posts: 602
Default

Impressive for sure, it's to bad they aren't worth much
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 8,958
Default

Hard work pays off eh!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,484
Default

In support of Daves article on coyote migration the older trappers in BC claimed no coyotes then they finally migrated from Alberta.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
In support of Daves article on coyote migration the older trappers in BC claimed no coyotes then they finally migrated from Alberta.
I'll keep trying to find the article but I haven't had any luck so far. Maybe I'll stumble upon it when I'm researching something else.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM
bb356's Avatar
bb356 bb356 is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rycroft
Posts: 20,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...ocs/coyote.pdf
__________________
Dadburnit !!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
bb356's Avatar
bb356 bb356 is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rycroft
Posts: 20,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'll keep trying to find the article but I haven't had any luck so far. Maybe I'll stumble upon it when I'm researching something else.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/canid-lab/liv...e-distribution
__________________
Dadburnit !!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Thanks, BB! I'm not sure if these were the articles that I read but they support what I mentioned about coyotes migrating to the north from southern regions of Alberta. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't all that long ago.....150 years? I find it very interesting and explains a lot about why coyote densities are the way they are in different regions of Alberta. Thanks again.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 AM
bb356's Avatar
bb356 bb356 is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rycroft
Posts: 20,164
Default

You bet ... It totatly make's sence to me ... the coyote is more of an opprotunist than a true hunter ... follow the easy prey and scrounge up the easy picking's !!!
__________________
Dadburnit !!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-24-2017, 11:20 AM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,278
Default

Widely debated over the past 10 years and only recently rejected as a full explanation, the expansion was attributed to the widespread killing/eradication of wolves and other large carnivores throughout North America. The removal of large carnivores is believed to have opened up a vast region of habitat for coyotes that was free from competition, while European settlements expanded north, providing ample alternative food sources for coyotes.


It sounds to me like killing of wolves and/or displacing them was only part of the explanation for their migration north. Coyotes are opportunists so I'm thinking that agricultural land development played a larger part.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
PCP_ECOM's Avatar
PCP_ECOM PCP_ECOM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nanton,AB
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
They seem to be increasing in the province but I doubt they will ever be plentiful. I think our winters will keep their numbers low, and confined to the south.

Dad talked a lot about seeing Skunks in the Peace district when he moved here but not Raccoon.
He had learned trapping by trapping Raccoon in Nova Scotia when he was a kid but he often said he had never seen one west of Thunder Bay.

I saw them in Vancouver when I lived there in the early seventies. They were all over the place down there.
I hear reports of them here, some from family members but I've never seen one here or even a track of one.
hey Keg I cut my teeth trapping raccoons and rats/mink and fox in Nova Scotia,for 30+yrs til I moved here to work as a Meat Inspector
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-24-2017, 01:47 PM
bb356's Avatar
bb356 bb356 is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rycroft
Posts: 20,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Widely debated over the past 10 years and only recently rejected as a full explanation, the expansion was attributed to the widespread killing/eradication of wolves and other large carnivores throughout North America. The removal of large carnivores is believed to have opened up a vast region of habitat for coyotes that was free from competition, while European settlements expanded north, providing ample alternative food sources for coyotes.


It sounds to me like killing of wolves and/or displacing them was only part of the explanation for their migration north. Coyotes are opportunists so I'm thinking that agricultural land development played a larger part.
I agree ... cruise around here in the peace country and I see way more in the radius of any cattle ranch or sheep farm than anywhere ... they thrive close to human's ... I'm a night owl and see coyote's regularly cruise through town when I'm having a smoke outside ... just like the beaver a person can trap and shoot them all you want ... they will never be extinct .
__________________
Dadburnit !!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
hey Keg I cut my teeth trapping raccoons and rats/mink and fox in Nova Scotia,for 30+yrs til I moved here to work as a Meat Inspector
Good stuff. My dad talked a lot about his home province.

He grew up in Margret's Cove, just down from Cape Spit I believe it's called.
He trapped the finger that stuck out into the bay.

His dad was a fisherman and sawmill owner. All dad wanted to do was trap and he couldn't take the ocean swells so fishing for a living was out.
He left home when he was 14 and headed west to join his brother on a trapline near Codotte Lake Alberta.

His brother returned to Nova Scotia to run the sawmill. Dad married a sheep herders daughter and went to trapping/homesteading and making babies.
They had no TV and only one radio station so they needed something to do at night.
I and my three brothers and twelve sisters were the result.

We were a proper hillbilly family.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.