Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM
ORVIS's Avatar
ORVIS ORVIS is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Olds Alberta
Posts: 184
Default What do you pack in the bush?

Setting up my archerypack this winter. Just wondering what everyone else is carrying in there archery pack.

1. Bow with arrows
2. Range finder
3. Knife
4. License and tags
5. Camo clothing, gloves and boots
6. Hat with headlamp
7. Gps
8. Grunt and bleat
9.


Feel free to add to the list!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 PM
JohnB's Avatar
JohnB JohnB is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North
Posts: 1,660
Default

TP.
Or spare socks.
__________________
A wise old owl lived in an oak; the more he saw the less he spoke; the less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,400
Default

cell ph
bic lighter
first aid kit
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Bulldog Edm Bulldog Edm is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 349
Default

Rope
Binoculars
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Bonescreek's Avatar
Bonescreek Bonescreek is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 779
Default

A roll of 1/2" wide florescent orange plastic tape to tie onto trees for marking the blood trail.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 PM
jeffreys 21234 jeffreys 21234 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 334
Default

Vaseline soaked cotton balls
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 PM
Bulldog Edm Bulldog Edm is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
A roll of 1/2" wide florescent orange plastic tape to tie onto trees for marking the blood trail.
I used a roll of light blue tape. I couldn't believe how much it stood out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM
curt7mm curt7mm is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
Vaseline soaked cotton balls
What do you use these for?

I also carry a rattle bag in my pack. Don't forget a few small snacks as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 AM
jcrayford jcrayford is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Usually the office, but the bush when I can
Posts: 568
Default

- wire saw
- spare knife / pocket sharpener
- spare batteries for anything that needs it
- bottle of water (500 ml)
- wind checker
- compass for when/if GPS breaks
- broadhead puller
- magnesium fire starter
- dressing gloves (my personal choice)
- judo point to screw on for small game
- small fold up stool
- if elk hunting, Montana Elk decoy
- bear spray
- radio to stay in contact with hunting buddies
- small solid fuel stove, cup & Cup-O-Soup
- waterproof container with wooden matches

There's lots of stuff that I take. Do I need it all? Not necessarily. Do I like a hot cup of soup on a really chilly day? Tastes like 5 stars sometimes....

J.
__________________
My $0.02.... Please feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 AM
nimrod's Avatar
nimrod nimrod is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta for the most part
Posts: 1,052
Default

to mark blood trail/your trail, use toilet paper, shows up day or night, and disappears in the first rain.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM
JohnB's Avatar
JohnB JohnB is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North
Posts: 1,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
What do you use these for?

I also carry a rattle bag in my pack. Don't forget a few small snacks as well.
Fire starter.
__________________
A wise old owl lived in an oak; the more he saw the less he spoke; the less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM
ramonmark's Avatar
ramonmark ramonmark is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St Albert
Posts: 609
Default

condoms
__________________
"It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 AM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CNP
Posts: 5,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
What do you use these for?

I also carry a rattle bag in my pack. Don't forget a few small snacks as well.
insert after hearing banjo tune...

or

firestarter
__________________
[[[[[All news is fake news]]]]]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Ranger CS Ranger CS is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pincher Creek
Posts: 682
Default

Fire starting gear: (multiple types of igniters, fire bugs, tinder) all waterproof
Knapp saw
Long 12 " shoe horn for field dressing
Spotting scope
Range Finder
Spare wool socks
Sheep skin mits
Balaclava
Handkerchief
Compass
High energy bars
Stainless cup
Spare hunting knife
Flagging
Parachute cord
Hunting licenses
Toilet paper
Head lamp and tact light
Small survival kit all contained in and around a small Keen's Mustard can: signal mirror, sharp sewing needle, mono filament fish line,
snare wire, oxo cubes, band aids, braided fish line
aluminum foil, small fish lures,
electrical tape, cable saw
__________________
Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM
chuck-the-chimp chuck-the-chimp is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Fire starting gear: (multiple types of igniters, fire bugs, tinder) all waterproof
Knapp saw
Long 12 " shoe horn for field dressing
Spotting scope
Range Finder
Spare wool socks
Sheep skin mits
Balaclava
Handkerchief
Compass
High energy bars
Stainless cup
Spare hunting knife
Flagging
Parachute cord
Hunting licenses
Toilet paper
Head lamp and tact light
Small survival kit all contained in and around a small Keen's Mustard can: signal mirror, sharp sewing needle, mono filament fish line,
snare wire, oxo cubes, band aids, braided fish line
aluminum foil, small fish lures,
electrical tape, cable saw
What's the shoe horn for?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Ranger CS Ranger CS is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pincher Creek
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
What's the shoe horn for?
I use the shoehorn to prevent puncturing the bladder and rectum while sawing through the pelvis bone. Once I circumvent the anus with my knife I slide the small end of a long modified shoehorn underneath the pelvic bone all the way forward to the abdominal muscles. Then saw downward parallel to the pelvic bone until completely through. Over the years every now again I would nick the bladder with a saw tooth, and we all know the result of doing that. Since using my shoe horn invention never have had a problem. Works like a dam and is very light and easy to carry as it fits into my Knapp saw sheath beside the saw blade.
__________________
Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM
reddeerhunter's Avatar
reddeerhunter reddeerhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 711
Default

K, we got penetration with shoe horns, vaseline balls and condoms.

__________________
"We're not polishing fine china here"-Belichick.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Ranger CS Ranger CS is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pincher Creek
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
K, we got penetration with shoe horns, vaseline balls and condoms.

They all have purpose, once the condom is on, and Vaseline applied with the cotton balls, as a last resort go to the shoe horn.
__________________
Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 PM
reddeerhunter's Avatar
reddeerhunter reddeerhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
They all have purpose, once the condom is on, and Vaseline applied with the cotton balls, as a last resort go to the shoe horn.
Yeehaw!
__________________
"We're not polishing fine china here"-Belichick.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 AM
MugEye's Avatar
MugEye MugEye is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 245
Default

Boy I got in on this conversation at a weird time !lol

Leathermen
Game bags
Few Alan wrenches for the bow
Bug net(for spring bear)
Pepto for those mountain houses
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM
510-Gem 510-Gem is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I use the shoehorn to prevent puncturing the bladder and rectum while sawing through the pelvis bone. Once I circumvent the anus with my knife I slide the small end of a long modified shoehorn underneath the pelvic bone all the way forward to the abdominal muscles. Then saw downward parallel to the pelvic bone until completely through. Over the years every now again I would nick the bladder with a saw tooth, and we all know the result of doing that. Since using my shoe horn invention never have had a problem. Works like a dam and is very light and easy to carry as it fits into my Knapp saw sheath beside the saw blade.


That's a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Ranger CS Ranger CS is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pincher Creek
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
That's a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For further clarity on the shoe horn. Begin with a long 15 to 20 inch plastic shoe horn. Cut the hooked, curved, hand end off leaving a relatively straight piece of curved plastic. Grind or sand the small end into a rounded relatively blunt point. Again using sandpaper, somewhat sharpen the small end using a single bevel angle. To do this I simply lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and hold the shoe horn at the desired angle and sand back and forth until the desired amount of sharpness is achieved. Normally when I insert the horn under the pelvic bone small end first, I place the concave side of the horn upwards creating a small space between the bladder and the pelvic bone. Don't worry if your saw contacts the horn while sawing as you saw will not cut into the horn and will only slightly scratch it if anything. I have been using the same plastic horn for many years on all sizes of big game and it is still in excellent condition. I have never nicked a bladder since using this system.
__________________
Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-14-2017, 02:48 PM
kootenayhunter kootenayhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Creston BC
Posts: 17
Default experience is best teacher

Last year I dressed two elk in the same drainage. On the first one I got completely eaten alive to the point that my eyes were completely closed. On the second one i brought a bug net. Thank goodness for that net.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 5,083
Default

Selfie Stick...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.