Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Gun Powder / Primer Storage

Gun Powder/Primer Storage.... I know there are previous threads on this but all I find is conflicting info. Is a 3/4 inch wood cabinet or box ok? Id prefer a steel locking cabinet but that seems to be unlawful? Could someone who knows simplify this?

Clayton
Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 AM

Properly built wood cabinet is as good a deterrent as a cheap steel one. The main reason you want wood is to let pressure escape. Don't want 30-40 lbs of powder in a closed container made of metal in a fire, and static building up on it either. You can line the shelves with non-spark, non-static liners though. As far as i remember, the specifications for the cabinet were removed in 2013, at least, I couldn't spot them at the time I looked for them, used to specify brass hardware. The markings are still in place though.
What is shown in here says painted shelves in a metal unit are adequate;

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/a...rage-sale/9829

Last edited by 32-40win; 12-11-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 PM

The markings only apply to a storage unit which not many people have. Most will fall under the first heading in the above link of dwelling. They have greatly simplified the rules. No need for a wooden box or anything specific although it's not a teribble idea.

Quote:
When propellant powders, percussion caps or black power cartouches are stored in a dwelling:

they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition. People not authorized by the user must not be given unlimited access to the propellant powder, percussion caps or black powder cartouches.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the link.