Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Wolf Handling Workshop NWT

I am on the road this week working with the government of NWT, skinning wolves and teaching about proper wolf handling. Will be skinning wolves in 5 different communities in the south slave region.

Last nights wolf handling workshop in Fort Smith NWT.

We had about 25 people at the workshop, this workshop was about working on better fur handling, how to skin the paws out, split the lips, separate the ear cartilage, detailing the eye lids, skinning with the anal opening attached.

This picture was from Fort Resolution the night before working on the fleshing details.
Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Default good to see

That looks like my fleshing beam.
I have participated in many fur handling seminars in northern Ontario and one in southern alberta so I am glad to see they still ahppen even if it is only in the great white north for the most part.
Seems there is a lot of interest in learning proper care and handling of furs (coyotes) in the south without perhaps the resources for the ATA to bring them regularly as it is often hunters not trappers asking for the information so their demand and frequency stats are not accurate.
Good work, thanks for posting
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Default Alberta

Hi Jim, would there be any chance of you being able to swing through a couple places in Alberta? I know we could get a couple or so clubs to put up the airfare etc..
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM

Anything is possible, next week I am heading for Baker Lake, and Rankin Inlet in Nu. I sure you must have some good wolf handlers in Alberta. If you are really interested send me a e-mail and we can work out the details.
Jim
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Couple more pictures from this week's workshops, heading home today(my birthday) will hopefully make it back by 2 am Sunday morning. I get to travel all day and hopefully meet up with 2 of FHA guys travelling back from Peijing China tonight in Toronto, them travel back to North Bay.

School presentation in Fort Smith

Workshop in Fort Providence

Workshop in Rae.
Cheers Jim
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Default North Bay

You work out of North Bay Jim or live there. My grandparents lived on King Street near the cathedral and ran a big trap line near Tomiko/Martin River.
Rob
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM

I live in North Bay and drive by the area you mentioned often, I have a trapline in the Timmins area.
Jim