Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-04-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Non-Resident Alien leaving his gun in canada?

Hey guys,
Does anyone know if a Non-Resident Alien can leave his gun in canada for when he comes hunting the next time?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 AM

1-800-731-4000 for all your answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if a Non-Resident Alien can leave his gun in canada for when he comes hunting the next time?
Thanks

There are no absolutes
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
1-800-731-4000 for all your answers.
Is that supposed to be funny?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Is that supposed to be funny?
No that's not funny.
I'm serious, if a guy thinks us bunch of non legal eagles can provide him with the correct information, he's asking for trouble.
This is a matter with potentially grave legal consequneces, and to seek advice from a bunch of pepole who neither have any legal credentials, and or expertise, is simply asking for trouble.

Like it or not the CFC is a reality, and until something changes to alter that fact thinking you can simply ignore it, and not face any consequnece is shere folly and bordering on reckless.

For simplicity sake Chuck lets suppose a couple of things. Honest Ed and the Blue and Orange get punted from the Leg. And a party with a left leaning ideology takes power of the Legislataure. Harper and Co. get tossed on a non confidance motion in Ottawa, and the Lieberals Lie their way back into the hearts of Eastern Canada. Now the fellow asking the question took some advice from some fellow on this board who may not know his arse from his elbow. And now Ottawa wants all gun owners to verify what they own, so in this process buddy gets caught in an error which now nets him 10 years in the Federal Pen, he looses his house his wife, his good name.
All because you said dont worry about calling the source, take my advice or someone elses, it will never happen.
I'm not gong down that road ever.
Call the number elkrub, it's the safest, surest, and most logical thing you can do. (wether you like it or not)
BTW: I hate the current state of affairs.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 AM

I agree....

Call the CFC or take a look online at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca

Or take a peak at the Customs website for some info as well at www.cbsa.gc.ca

Much easier, to the point, and less hassle than askin for legal advice from guys on the 'net with varying levels of legal experience....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM

+1 for Dick's advice...the only way to be sure.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:09 PM

I have, and aquaintances have, spoken with the CFC over legality issues enough to know that they haven't got a friggin clue. Depending on whom you talk to depends on the story you get and I would not under any circumstance trust them or their answers. The source IS the problem. They're government employed, and that should give the first clue. Case in point. Next time you see the enforcers of the law, the governments own Royal Canadian Mounted Police ask them a simple question. Preferably when there are more than one looking at you. Ask them how you can legally transport your long gun in your vehicle. Be prepared for multiple answers and a lot of um, ums.

The main issue here is the good old US of A, the state department, and the export of said weapon, good luck with the CFC on that one. A crap shoot comes to mind.

You are correct to point out not trusting an internet source, I hope you were looking in the mirror when you typed it. I'm in no way shape or form advocating shooting from the hip on this issue, or breaking the law. But I'd sure as heck go to a better source.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 PM

As long as the owner registers them in Canada then he can indeed leave them with someone who meets all the requirements, i.e. someone who has a PAL and safe storage.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Bushrat,
Where do you get that answer from? Seems to me that Customs may have something to say about him 'leaving' his firearms in Canada.....even if its just temporary.....

Once again I'll say that you should never trust everything ya hear on line regarding legal issues....best to check with all sources.....

Last edited by Rackmastr; 08-04-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Bushrat,
Where do you get that answer from? Seems to me that Customs may have something to say about him 'leaving' his firearms in Canada.....even if its just temporary.....

Once again I'll say that you should never trust everything ya hear on line regarding legal issues....best to check with all sources.....
Rack as i understand it, if they are properly registered in Canada, they are legal to stay here with a surrogate caretaker if that caretaker has the proper permit/storage, or they can stay at the owners residence if they have one here. Customs only care that they cross the border legally, they don't care if its a one way trip as long as the legalities of leaving it here are taken care of..
Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 PM

Hmmm...seems to me that all goods entering Canada on a "one way trip" are subject to duties and taxes. If one was not to report said goods for importation, one would be committing an offense called 'smuggling'......

I think Customs would care about the importation and am merely pointing out the fact that its a good idea to check with all agencies involved, and its best for ANYONE in this position to get the proper answers (in writing) from agencies involved....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Default e-mail

I tend to agree with Dick,

here is what I would do:

e-mail the CFC with your specific question here:
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/contact/default_e.asp#email

print the response you get including the date you received it.

That is an official government communication.

If it ever comes to that a judge will look at it even if the CFC gave you the wrong advice.

Same for custom.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Hmmm...seems to me that all goods entering Canada on a "one way trip" are subject to duties and taxes. If one was not to report said goods for importation, one would be committing an offense called 'smuggling'........
Never suggested doing anything illegal. Wouldn't be smuggling if they are declared at the border with paperwork. There may very well be duties, taxes, fees payable. Not sure how it works and Yes, we agree contact the CFC. Thats how these folks are finding out how its done. All I know is that there are people doing it so there must be a window.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Oh ya...no doubt theres probably a way to do it....and yep...as long as all agencies are contacted and things are done right then a guy is good to go I'd assume.....having it in writing sure makes things easy....at least we're on the same page...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:43 PM
sheephunter

Think you are missing an important component to this question.I'd be checking with ATF long before the Canadian boys. There are some very stringent rules about taking guns out of the U.S. and not returning with them.