Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 PM

Default lead shot

Has lead shot been banned from upland hunting ? The reason I ask is that someone offered me three full cases of Win 2 3/4 #5 or 6's on the phone !!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 AM

Lead is still legal for upland, except if your hunting on a Federally controlled preserve or land such as Camp Wainwright.
The lead shot ban is a Federally mandated piece of legislation , therefore it applies to Migratory waterfowl, and Federal lands.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 AM

Dick what would you use out there then? Could you use highbrass or copper?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 AM

Gotta use non toxic shot in Wainwright I do beleive.
i've been cruising the online regs and cant find the passage I'll grap the paper version and quote the page number if I find it.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Gotta use non toxic shot in Wainwright I do beleive.
i've been cruising the online regs and cant find the passage I'll grap the paper version and quote the page number if I find it.
Found it.
Bullet #2 under the 200 series WMU game bird seasons.
"Camp Wainwright officials have advised that all hunters using shotguns to hunt game birds at Camp Wainwright must use non-toxic shot. Lead shot is not allowed."

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 AM

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Found it.
Bullet #2 under the 200 series WMU game bird seasons.
"Camp Wainwright officials have advised that all hunters using shotguns to hunt game birds at Camp Wainwright must use non-toxic shot. Lead shot is not allowed."
That's so stupid it's actually funny. After all the military activity contaminating the ground for the last 50-60 years, or however old that base is, I'm really sure a tiny bit of bird shot getting spread around every year is going to make a big difference. Talk about a drop of water in the ocean. That's the federal government for you. Oh well, it's their place, I guess you play by their rules.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 AM
sheephunter

Ya it does seem a little ironic doesn't it dave...lol Most of the shell manufacturers offer a very effective non toxic upland load but it will end up costing your more than lead. The Americans started down this road several years ago on their federal lands and individual states have slowly been getting in line so it's no surprise that Canada is jumping in line too.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Won't be long till lead is outright banned for all shotgun hunting... I see it coming.

FTR- Approved non tox is mandatory for all migratory gamebirds with the exception of doves
Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM
sheephunter

Actually there are some exceptions off Newfoundland as well for the hunting of murre and turr and the use of lead.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Ahh its all governemnt trying to make money off you. There has been no confirmed reports of any migratory or upland birds dieing because they ingested lead shot. If it was really an issue they would ban it 100%
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Yeah, whatever the reasoning is, lead is some seriously nasty stuff. It used to be a main ingredient in all sorts of products, most of which have been banned one way or another.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM

Default lead shot

I'd learned to do it all with steel loads, using the right chokes will amaze you! Very easy shooting IMHO than lead. I was told by a gov. official once, that if you shoot a bird with lead and wound it and can't find it, perhaps later on a "Bald Eagle" will come by and eat that wounded bird and then die from lead poisoning. I through that out the window a long time ago, but then realized one day in late October while duck hunting, it occurred to me that Bald Eagles migrate(at the same time) with ducks and are always looking for a sick one.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 PM

You got fed a load of horse pooky.
What kills the birds is the lead shot will lay on the bottom of a body of water, and if a bird ingests the shot as if it were gravel to aid in digestion, the lead by products will then enter the blood stream internally and kill the bird.
The tough part about the lead shot ban on the Prairies is, have you ever stepped into a prairie slough? You will sink faster than the Titanic. That's the tough part to swallow about a lead shot ban in the Prairies, the shot will sink far below the forraging range of the birds. You gotta remember that in the Apilacian part of the country the lakes and potholes are hard bottomed, and the hunting pressure can be quite intense, resulting in multiple generations of hunters shooting the same area year over year, generation after generation.
Then understand that the migratory waterfowl is under federal auspucies, therefoer the rules surrounding ducks and geese come out of Ottawa. need I say more........................

There are no absolutes
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM

Default lead shot

I agree with you all the way on that Dick284, but do you not think an Eagle could eat duck for supper and digest some #4 shot along the way? I never would of believed it until I put 2&2 together. I only see Bald Eagles in late Oct migrating with the northern ducks in my neck of the woods, but never seen a dead Eagle before either.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Lead shot

I am in the NE corner of BC and learned early never to shoot around water as the birds need a resting place. You can always set up to see the birds come off and go out to feed and arrange your shooting accordingly. Where I shoot the lead ban should not apply but like anything else, one size fits all.
Clean your guns as Sept is a commin !!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Think about this as well where do most of you guys shoot your pheasant? In the bull rushes or around ponds, lakes and rivers right? The lead you are shooting at the pheasants goes the same place as the steel you shot at the duck the morning before so why not just outright ban lead if it is so bad?

The size of a bald eagle and the amount of ducks it would have to eat to injest enough lead to die from would be outrageous. Like I said before and I have been looking, there is NO CONFIRMED reports of any ducks or geese dieing from the injestion of lead.