Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Powder Measurers

Ok, so when I first got into reloading...I was probably only loading about 150rds per year.....now that I have multiple calibers and rifles and am enjoying the range more and more.....that number has gone up considerably....One of the things I have looked into to help speed up the process and ensure consistency is a Powder Measurer. I currently use a balance scale and a powder trickler.....accurate, but sooooooo slooooooowwww........

What are some suggestions in terms of types, and brands of Powder Measurers....I have been looking at the RCBS Competion Powder Measure.....Its about $200, but is it worth it???? Will it save me time and keep my loads accurate?

I have also heard that powder measures can "cut" extruded type powders.....any truth to that????
Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Yes a powder measure regardless of who makes it will cut excruded powders.
I for years used and still use a powder dump set to throw just shy of what I want for a final charge, then use the powder trickler to bring the charge up to the bang on mark.
I did however get an RCBS chargemaster as a Xmas gift and am starting to use it more and more, but have found that for large charge weights the dump and trickler is still faster.
Many competition shootes do ladder tests to determine a node of performance so they will use nothing but thrown charges set to throw within the node parameters.
I however have seen some mighty large changes in thrown weights to be quite leary of using thrown powder charges only, especially if one is operating up near max loads.
With that in mind some powders do dump more consistantly than others.
Ball or spherical powders throw quite consistantly but their down side is their erratic perfomance in changing temperatures.
Short excruded powders do nicley in the powder dump, those powders being ones like 4227, Benchmark, H332,
Intermediate cut excruded powders like Varget, H4350, H4831SC, IMR7828SSC, H1000, do ok , but will sometimes throw some erratic weights.
The regular IMR powdes, and the RL series of powers are the real scary ones if all that is used is a powder dump, I've seen as much as 0.5gr. charge weight spikes or dips, way to much for me to feel comfortable with to just dump and run with. That's why I like the dump and trickle technique.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

So when you say powder dump......you just mean you have a "spoon" so to speak that a full scope gets you close, then you trickle the rest.....or is there an actual aparatus?

I could see using the powder measure to get you close, then trickle the rest....but if is going to cut your powder...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that........
Old 07-26-2007, 02:42 PM

Powder dump = rotary powder measure. Sorry for the confusion.
As for kernal cutting, I've never noticed any abnormal results.
What is abnormal about the process is the wonky powder charges, sometimes high sometimes low.
The high low is'nt too bad if your in a perfomance node, but if your in a situation of running nearly or actually topped out, those sort of charge swings make a guy get mighty ansy.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Ahhh...I got you now.....What your saying makes perfect sense!! Thanks for the info Dick...that, along with your other past suggestions, are going to be a HUGE help......

Just watch out for the guy with the 300WSM shooting "all over the place" with unconsistent loads and split brass at the next rodeo shoot....but don't worry, no one usually has a problem giving up last place.....

Last edited by ABwhitetail; 07-26-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM

Looking forward to it.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Very happy with my Lee perfect powder measure, cheap too.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Funny thing about Lee.
You never seem to see them being used by anyone who is in any sort of serious or competative shooting. Hmmm.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 PM

RCBS Chargemaster all the way here. I have a trickler and an Rcbs thrower but the Chargemaster is so much faster and a dream to set up or change weights with!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM

I agree about how easy the Chargemaster is to use , but I find once you pass 55 or 60 grains I'm faster with the old dump and bump technique.
Also gotta love that powder thrower when loading medium loads of Varget in the kids 7mm-08.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
So when you say powder dump......you just mean you have a "spoon" so to speak that a full scope gets you close, then you trickle the rest.....or is there an actual aparatus?

I could see using the powder measure to get you close, then trickle the rest....but if is going to cut your powder...it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that........
Most short range BR shooters use a Harrel or culver measure, and don't trickle charges, all charges are thrown.

However, these are very expensive measures.

I have used lyman 55's for many years as did my father.

They work very well, and I've always thrown my charges for hunting and for match shooting, except my 1,000 meter loads.
i throw then trickle those.
most rifles won't shoot the difference in .5 of a grain, but serious match rifles will.
cat
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM

I have great success with Reloader powders which don't throw well. The Charge master makes every one perfect and while the next is pouring I set the bullet on the previous. Works well for me.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Most short range BR shooters use a Harrel or culver measure, and don't trickle charges, all charges are thrown.
cat
Part of the reason we don't weigh charges is that most guys load at the range between relays and matches and many places are just no conducive to using a scale what with unsteady benches, wind affecting the scale, rain, etc. They have found being out a tenth or so has shown no appreciable difference in accuracy or not enough of a factor to overide the other factors like wind and mirage which have a much larger effect to a bullets flight at 100and 200 yd short range as long as you have found a powder charge that allows your slug to leave the barrel within the same vibrational node, the velocity change of a tenth or two more or less powder does not make a difference at short range. At long range this may have a large effect if the velocity difference is great enough to affect the trajectory path.

You can spend a lot on a powder thrower but there are none that I would say is any more accurate than another if the charges are thrown in a consistent manner. I've tested my harrels against my rcbs, the RCBS throws just as accurate but dosent have the bling bling. Maybe a Promethius, which has a built in trickler and scale could be the answer...$$$... but there again the steady bench /wind factor comes into play, most ranges don't have a loading shack so thats why we throw our charges, it's nearly impossible to use a scale outside and get accurately weighed charges.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Once again guy's.....thanks for all the info....I don't want to get carried away with spending $$$$$$$$ (yet)....But I think I will definitely move forward with a measure and see if I can get away with just the "dump" or go with the "dump" and "bump".....either way, I think the process will speed up for me slightly.......

Cat....I sent you a PM
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM

I use an old Lyman 55, I picked up at a gun show. For most rifle charges, I set the measure so that it throws a light large in two operations and finish off with the trickler. I try to load at least 40 rounds at a time to make the adjustments worthwhile and fine tune it as I progess. Never worried about cutting a few grains of the coarser powders.
Grizz
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM

I use a powder measure for high volume varmint stuff. As the grains get bigger I throw and trickle but I don't use a powder measure I use a lee dipper. I can find one that is close to the load I use I'll use that or work it out with two scoops. But that is with big game rounds and I usually realy low volumes usually never over 100 typically around 50 so time is not really an issue.

One thing I don't understand why would BR shooter be loading at the shooting bench would'nt they have a match worth of ammo made?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I use a powder measure for high volume varmint stuff. As the grains get bigger I throw and trickle but I don't use a powder measure I use a lee dipper. I can find one that is close to the load I use I'll use that or work it out with two scoops. But that is with big game rounds and I usually realy low volumes usually never over 100 typically around 50 so time is not really an issue.

One thing I don't understand why would BR shooter be loading at the shooting bench would'nt they have a match worth of ammo made?
The reason the BR guys load at the range is they will tweek their loadings for the altitude, humdity, and other enviromental conditions, and often will teek things as conditions change through out the day.
You gotta remember these guys are questing for a degree of accuracy in a world where a couple thousandths of an inch will move you from 1st to 20th.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Measures
---------
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Funny thing about Lee.
You never seem to see them being used by anyone who is in any sort of serious or competative shooting. Hmmm.
Or spelling bees. With a + - of .1 grain for WW 760 I'm happy and don't have the time or need to **** around further. I don't shoot BR and the originator of this thread made no allusions to doing so either. For 99% of reloading needs, Lee does it right for way less and no "Wanker Factor"
Old 07-27-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Or spelling bees. With a + - of .1 grain for WW 760 I'm happy and don't have the time or need to **** around further. I don't shoot BR and the originator of this thread made no allusions to doing so either. For 99% of reloading needs, Lee does it right for way less and no "Wanker Factor"
I use the lee when I am thrrowing Pyrodex or balck, because of the non static factor.
It thows a good charge also, but I end up trickling every crgae for my BPCR stuff.
Cat