Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Leupolds LRD reticle

Both my father and I recently aquired scopes containing this relatively new offering from Leupold. His a VX II 2-7X32 and mine an FX II 6X36. We have access to 1000 yds or so of range backstopped by a large gravel pile making spotting hits with a partner easy and affective for getting things zeroed properly. My main method of zeroing a rifle is to determine the specified zero range, set up over a pack and shoot clay pieons at that range.

My usual zero range is 250yds, so sighting in the new Leupold with the new reticle that is where I started. The bottom dot is supposed to be a "400 yrd" dot so that is where I went next. I set up a couple of milk jugs and was hitting high. Rats. However, while there I checked subtention at that distance and between the cross hair and the center of the bottom dot I got 18". Well that's handy, as the average deer seems to be that between back and brisket. I do use a rangefinder, but handy none the less.

Knowing the subtention I went back to a ballistic program and found where to zero my rifle for 18" of drop at 400yds. 225 yds was the magic number so back to the range and I zeroed again at 225. Back to 400 and that resulted in a dead center hit on the poor milk jug. Now to the clay pigeon. At 400yds the dot on that LRD reticle subtends about 4" so it pretty much covers the clay bird at that range. So when the orange disappears I shoot and that resulted consistent hits (no misses on a 1moa targets) My Dad, zeroed at 230 with his 7-08 had identical results.

If your in the market for a new scope, maybe something to check out.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned

Before anyone says it......NO, me and chuck are NOT the same user....nor are we related!

Sorry chuck, if you've been following some posts recently here then you'll get the joke...otherwise...i love the timing on your post and agree 100%!

The bp reticle for burris looks almost the same...i like the simple ones like these as they don't interfere with your general fast action stuff but effective when you have the opportunity to go longer than you point blank zero!