Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I have to believe there are other planets supporting life and even intelligent life.

It's just a matter of math. How many galaxies? How many stars in each galaxy? How many planets for each star?

It's mind bottling

It truly is mind boggling! I watch a show on space and scientists on there said that 95% of people aren't smart enough to grasp the actual size of space!
As for the planets that support life they are looking at life that is similar to us humans, who's saying that aliens need o2 and our climate to live? They might not need o2 and can live in extreme heat or extreme cold. Wish I was smarter and study that stuff for a living how cool would that be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Humans have established the concept of beginning and end, but it is possible there is no end to the multiverse...like a ring. Human existence on earth will span only a miniscule blip in time and the chance of our being alive at the same time as any intelligent life that would communicate with us is unlikely. That will not stop us from exploring, and who knows, maybe we will win the impossible odds lottery.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No doubt the knowledge/technology involved with this exploration hasty and will continue to affect mankind.
Your most likley correct, but I am having a hard time wrapping my little brain around the fact that anything that far away can do any good for us.. Or are you thinking that in years and years to come that somebody will have some use for this info.. Help me with this please, I am interested to hear your point of view on this... Thank You
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Your most likley correct, but I am having a hard time wrapping my little brain around the fact that anything that far away can do any good for us.. Or are you thinking that in years and years to come that somebody will have some use for this info.. Help me with this please, I am interested to hear your point of view on this... Thank You
Zip
I'm referring to the related research and development that will spawn much benefit.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 PM

I can just imagine. Im on a space ship headed out on a life long journey. 50 years pass and technology on earth has grown and.they make a better faster space ship and it flies by my space ship at mach 435... id be so peed off.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I can just imagine. Im on a space ship headed out on a life long journey. 50 years pass and technology on earth has grown and.they make a better faster space ship and it flies by my space ship at mach 435... id be so peed off.
This is why the ship won't be built any time soon. The intellect required by the volunteers for such a mission in effect disqualifies them due to a common sense lack of conviction.

Colin
Old 02-23-2017, 11:54 PM

Unwell unless we can harness nuclear fusion in the next lifetime it's a pipe dream.
If we were to use nuclear bombs as propulsion it would still take us 520 years to get there

Last edited by ice; 02-24-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
So interesting it's crazy! And we can only see a very very small section of our galaxy. And there's billions of galaxies! And people say there's no such things as aliens.

This isn't true we can see other galaxy's. the andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye and our galaxy is on a collision course with it in a couple billion years
The core of our galaxy is located in the direction of the saggitarious constellation. What Part of space we can see depends on the time of year and the position of the planets rotation. To say we can only see a small bit is false
We can see a long way especially with our biggest telescopes

Last edited by ice; 02-24-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:28 AM

space is fascinating.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
This isn't true we can see other galaxy's. the andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye and our galaxy is on a collision course with it in a couple billion years

The core of our galaxy is located in the direction of the saggitarious constellation. What Part of space we can see depends on the time of year and the position of the planets rotation. To say we can only see a small bit is false

We can see a long way especially with our biggest telescopes

Sorry I wrote galaxy but meant to say universe.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to the related research and development that will spawn much benefit.
okay...but I'm referring to the related research and development that will spawn many many years of such a waste of money...does anybody really care that there are planets soooo far away that us mear mortals will never in our lifetime and way beyond ever see these...I understand research and all, but lets just think about this for a sec...what good will all that do for the people on this planet other than keep a few people employed wasting money on such a waste of time...there are way better things that need funding in my opinion...not saying you are wrong 260 Rem but I fail to understand your stance..
I could very well be wrong with my point of view on this subject...so I'm not trying to argue the point...just looking at it from a different angle I guess!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-24-2017, 11:48 AM

My son surprised me with a "so what?" question too.
I think curiosity is just natural for us as species. I don't think there is any materialistic use of this discovery, but I don't think there has to be one. It makes our understanding of nature deeper and it is just plain cool IMO. Way cooler than a lot of junk millennials call "hi tech" these days.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
okay...but I'm referring to the related research and development that will spawn many many years of such a waste of money...does anybody really care that there are planets soooo far away that us mear mortals will never in our lifetime and way beyond ever see these...I understand research and all, but lets just think about this for a sec...what good will all that do for the people on this planet other than keep a few people employed wasting money on such a waste of time...there are way better things that need funding in my opinion...not saying you are wrong 260 Rem but I fail to understand your stance..
I could very well be wrong with my point of view on this subject...so I'm not trying to argue the point...just looking at it from a different angle I guess!
Zip
I imagine as Columbus left port there were many thinking "so what" but in the years following much was learned about ship construction and navigation. Then there were those crazy Wright brothers in that flying contraption and we have since gone to the moon. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the gear we use to hunt is spun off of knowledge gained in space.
Anytime I hear somebody say they won't benefit from things they can't see or places they will never go in their lifetime, I think about religion.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:37 PM

I like that math that produces information on size, density, orbit of planets. However, that same math says we can not achieve light/faster than light propulsion. Getting outside our own planetary system is not possible. In that vein, alien spaceships haven't been visiting us either. Just my opinion
Old 02-24-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I imagine as Columbus left port there were many thinking "so what" but in the years following much was learned about ship construction and navigation. Then there were those crazy Wright brothers in that flying contraption and we have since gone to the moon. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the gear we use to hunt is spun off of knowledge gained in space.
Anytime I hear somebody say they won't benefit from things they can't see or places they will never go in their lifetime, I think about religion.
all this has some merit for sure, I can agree with your comments, but I just have a hard time to see the Bigger picture when it comes to a source of planets so very far away that they most likely will not be much help in any way shape or form for who knows how long.
Thanks for the chat 260 Rem...I can agree with your opinion, I appreciate your time in explaining your views..
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Once we build ship that can travel little bit faster, like 300 000 000 m/s ( not miles but metres per second) we should be there in no time at all, like 39 years
Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Baby steps ... perhaps we are destined to remain landlocked on Earth...perhaps our exploration will never get faster than the "communication" we currently have with our space probes, but the sky is not the limit! Maybe we will find a way to transport matter at light speed.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Dude, buy a ford.....way faster lol. No pintos lol, focas............
Need more hidy dots lol
Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM

Perhaps the answer to colonizing other planets is possible given that science will soon figure out how to create life based on the human DNA sequence. Once we figure out how to create life in a test tube we will next figure a way to bottle that formula and send it on a long journey.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm half way thru "Passengers" with Jennifer Lawrence, and was thinking the exact same thing...