Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 PM

You don't need a battery heater on a Phantom, Inspire is the only one that will not start the motors if the temp is too low.
I have printed a couple insulators for my Inspires, but honestly I am waiting for spring to pack the miles on.
Great pics Brad, keep them coming!
If you are fixing yourself, be very careful with the antenna connectors, they are delicate and will cost you $500 if you tear a pid off.
I just sold one of my inspires, but have been flying the pro black quite a bit. The Mavic is getting time too, they are all fun.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Does anyone else have trouble with the Android app constantly crashing when flying?
I forgot my iPad a few days ago so used my Nexus6 droid to fly. The app would crash repeatedly while trying to open up, then once open and the bird was in the air, constantly crashed/restarted. It spooked me enough to rtb and quit flying.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Did you upgrade to dji go 4?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Yes. Latest version of Go4. Other apps running in the background were closed.

The one weird thing I did notice was if the phone was held vertical the app would start normally, as soon as it was turned a 1/4 turn it crashed more frequently.

The app hasn't missed a beat on the iPad. I prefer the larger screen anyway.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Just saw a guy fly an RC helicopter at the Yuma RC Airshow and it was unbelievable what he could do, looked like this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/nlJXbr4KIIw
Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Yes. Latest version of Go4. Other apps running in the background were closed.

The one weird thing I did notice was if the phone was held vertical the app would start normally, as soon as it was turned a 1/4 turn it crashed more frequently.

The app hasn't missed a beat on the iPad. I prefer the larger screen anyway.
I haven't had that issue and all I run is android. Maybe reinstall go?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I haven't had that issue and all I run is android. Maybe reinstall go?
Hmm, I'll give that a try. Good to know it might be unique to this phone, I have another unused 'droid that I want to toss in the case and leave there.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
Just saw a guy fly an RC helicopter at the Yuma RC Airshow and it was unbelievable what he could do, looked like this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/nlJXbr4KIIw
Pffft, that's how I fly helis. I just need waaaaaayyyyyyy more parts than him.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You don't need a battery heater on a Phantom, Inspire is the only one that will not start the motors if the temp is too low.
I have printed a couple insulators for my Inspires, but honestly I am waiting for spring to pack the miles on.
Great pics Brad, keep them coming!
If you are fixing yourself, be very careful with the antenna connectors, they are delicate and will cost you $500 if you tear a pid off.
I just sold one of my inspires, but have been flying the pro black quite a bit. The Mavic is getting time too, they are all fun.
They might still take off at lower temperatures but what happens if you operate the unit outside the manufactures recommendations and have a serious incident, flyaway etc. Insurance voided, and bankrupted by a long court case against a Transport Canada. No thanks, operate the equipment within the legal requirements as per manufacturers recommendations and stay out of jail.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Where is the best place to buy them?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
If your looking at any DJI products you can buy them online from the DJI store.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:28 AM

Has anyone used the Mavic pro? Thoughts? I would really like to get it an I've heard nothing but good reviews. What about fellow Albertans?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gunner View Post
They might still take off at lower temperatures but what happens if you operate the unit outside the manufactures recommendations and have a serious incident, flyaway etc. Insurance voided, and bankrupted by a long court case against a Transport Canada. No thanks, operate the equipment within the legal requirements as per manufacturers recommendations and stay out of jail.
LOL jail?
Dji sells battery heaters.
Case against transport canada?
Hub international insurance covers all contingencies for a couple hundred dollars per year.
The manufacturer recommends if you fly in cold weather that you insulate the battery.

Do you hunt? A stray bullet could bankrupt you. Fish hook in someone's eye on your boat could do the same.

Take proper precautions, protect yourself and your investment, be aware of potential hazards and ensure your gear is in good condition. Go off all willy nilly doing anything in life and you may open yourself to disaster.
Gunner you apparently know nothing about Dji drones. Before you offer advise you should maybe become familiar with the subject.
Every part, every function of the drone is shown on digital readout on the display including battery temp and voltage down to each cell. They have redundant Imu and compass systems. There are visual and audible warning systems. There is so much more I could go into but will leave that to you.
Also, the recovery parachutes that are available flip the drone upside down to protect the camera in case of crash, at the speed they fall they wouldn't Crack a windshield.
Stop fear mongering when you are clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Has anyone used the Mavic pro? Thoughts? I would really like to get it an I've heard nothing but good reviews. What about fellow Albertans?
I have 1. They are cool but dainty, fragile. They are quick and fly a long time, don't have a lot of power to fight the wind. Good value for the dollar though.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Bestbuy. Find the best price you can online in Stock in canada and they will beat the price.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
If you want to buy from an Alberta company that is run by people with real UAV experience, I recommend https://aerialtech.com
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
If you want to buy from an Alberta company that is run by people with real UAV experience, I recommend https://aerialtech.com
Great guys.

Also Multirotorheli Calgary John, Jim and Nabiel are awesome.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Drone pilots pushing back against liberal stupidity.

DJI

http://www.nodecampaign.org/?utm_sou...uid=HgW0xyeQcc

Dear Creator,

The last few years have been especially exciting for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly known as drones. Today, drones are generating new opportunities around the world for business, government, nonprofit, educational and recreational use. Drones also assist first responders, make hazardous jobs safer, let people take stunning photos and inspire our children to get involved with science and technology.

However, regulators in Canada have recently imposed recreational flight restrictions that threaten the future of this growing industry. Some of the rules include prohibiting drone flights:
Closer than 75 meters from buildings, structures, vehicles, animals and people
Within 9 kilometers of any type of airport, without any provision for airport permission
At night

These rules could prohibit drones from being used for education, art, and film making, even in your own backyard, and even when you are flying safely.

This is why it’s important that your elected officials hear how drones are safe, fun and educational. And responsible drone pilots like you are the best people to deliver that message.

To that end, we helped start the Network of Drone Enthusiasts (NODE), a new grassroots group dedicated to advocating for the interests of responsible drone pilots across the United States and Canada. NODE gives affiliated drone organizations a united voice to collaborate with legislators and regulators on developing reasonable and effective drone regulations that encourage drone use while protecting public safety.

A modest investment of your time will be invaluable in protecting your rights and the rights of fellow drone owners and pilots.

Join the Network of Drone Enthusiasts today by:

Signing up here on the website. It only takes 30 seconds!
Following NODE’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for the latest news.
Spreading the word about NODE, with friends and fellow enthusiasts across the country.

All drone pilots and fans, from do-it-yourself drone kit owners to commercial operators, are welcome to join this grassroots movement. NODE’s website will make it easy for concerned pilots to get involved and ensure they can work with their elected officials and talk about the benefits of drones and their admirable safety record.

Together, we can ensure that public safety is a priority and protect the rights of drone owners and pilots. Thanks again for your willingness to stand up and be counted.

Sincerely,
DJI

http://www.nodecampaign.org/?utm_sou...uid=HgW0xyeQcc

Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM

I got that too HBR

here is the link

http://link.dji.com/u/nrd.php?p=Sfzv...GliRQ%3D%3D%7C

Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

https://www.stardusthut.com/products...i-selfie-drone
Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
junk

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/JJRC-...FVFffgodNG4IKA
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Not sure if it's been covered here but I have a question.

What would it cost me for a drone with a decent camera?

I want to fish the North Sask river but I think it would be a big help to know where the channels are. I have some old aerial/satellite photos of the river, didn't take them long to go out of date. Instead of bothering some one every year or after each big rain, it would be nice to do it on my own.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Not sure if it's been covered here but I have a question.

What would it cost me for a drone with a decent camera?

I want to fish the North Sask river but I think it would be a big help to know where the channels are. I have some old aerial/satellite photos of the river, didn't take them long to go out of date. Instead of bothering some one every year or after each big rain, it would be nice to do it on my own.
Give me a call, or go on bestbuy.ca right now, they have some amazing deals today. Refurb Phantom 4 for $899 is ridiculous, full warranty.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/sc-62089...ls?icmp=drones
Old 05-27-2017, 12:39 AM

What is your guys opinion of the DJI3 standard? Looking at a used one for $500 not sure if I should buy it or not and wait for a different deal or not?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Huh !
The only Drone I wanted to fly (in my younger days) was 7 of 9

Which, apparently, has nothing to do with this topic.......

It did make me wonder though, are they fly-able at altitude ie: Mountain rescue ?
If so, they would make an awesome search & rescue platform, for finding downed Mountain climbers etc......could save days/lives.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
What is your guys opinion of the DJI3 standard? Looking at a used one for $500 not sure if I should buy it or not and wait for a different deal or not?
Unless it comes with a good bundle of accessories I'd pass on that one. Like Ken posted earlier BestBuy has refurbished Fantom4 for $899 with warranty.

Has anyone seen the new Spark from DJI? It's close to being small enough to avoid most of the new restrictions, almost legal to fly in Canada.

I can't wait until we see the libtards new drone classification system, better get your soon to be prohibs bought so you can grandfather in.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 05-27-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 PM

Thanks guys.that's kind of what I thought. Time to save a few more bucks.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Thanks guys.that's kind of what I thought. Time to save a few more bucks.
Smart. Buy a 4k with lightbridge (p3 advanced or pro) or P4. Anything before those are real cheap for a reason, they are like antiques now.
Mavic is cool, but more fragile.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 PM

Anything new in the world of Drones these days ?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Anything new in the world of Drones these days ?
Rules are tightening, manufacturers are answering by making new smaller smarter faster longer running drones to stay under the weight limits for recreational flyers.
I am now SFOC certified and can legally charge for use. Most of what I do is still free though, more for the enjoyment of the hobby than anything.

Check out the Dji Mavic platinum. Their latest offering, updated version of the January released drone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 PM

Any thoughts on these Ken?
(Ghost Drone)
I always wanted a Drone that was independent of a cell phone,
am I right in thinking this has it's own source to this issue of mine?

20180118_152652.jpg