Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 AM

Ken,

I would love to meet up today but am committed to a Canada day event today. Will catch you next time!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

After 3 flights in Beginner mode, I decided to get a bit bolder today and disabled it. I flew the aircraft to a full mile away at 100 meters up. Learning to work with the onboard data and camera view. Sonomagun, I need more batteries and chargers.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:23 AM

I picked up a third phantom 3 today that was crashed, hoping to fix it. This one augered in hard, wrecked the light bridge, main board, camera. It didn't look that bad, but I got it pulled apart I saw the plugs pulled right off the motherboard. Bad news.
Then I got a dji 550 with fpv goggles, first big 6 blade unit I have flown. Pretty cool unit.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 PM

Default Phantom 4

Picked up a DJI Phantom 4 yesterday, put it in the air for the first time today and I love it. I picked up a spare battery but it looks like Im gonna need at least two spares. I booked myself into ground school training at the end of August, I want to make sure that I do this thing right. I am planning to apply for an SFOC as soon as I am proficient. I can't wait to start making some cool movies with this thing.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM

That's cool 6gunner.

I just picked up a Phantom 3 advanced and a Phantom 2 vision plus, the 3 needs to be completely assembled and the 2 needs a camera. I am truly enjoying this hobby.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 AM

Ken,

I'm hoping that I never have to fix mine! I did buy the DJI insurance plan though in case I crash the darn thing. It is definitely a neat hobby that I hope to turn into a profitable business as well.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Got out yesterday to burn down some batteries and do a little practice before heading to Vancouver Island next week.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Got out yesterday to burn down some batteries and do a little practice before heading to Vancouver Island next week.
That's awesome!!!

you need to join my facebook drone page, we are gaining steadily
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's awesome!!!

you need to join my facebook drone page, we are gaining steadily
Just sent you a friend request.
Gord
Old 07-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread, now I'm reading up on Phantom 3's. I flew quite a bit of RC years ago, maybe it it never really leaves the blood. Always enjoyed the flying.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 AM

I thought the same thing, resisted for years. The giant helicopter hanging in my office is a subtle reminder of how much fun it used to be.

Then I got one of those little tiny handheld ones, thought 'this won't lead to anything' bwahahahahaa

I have a new phantom 3 professional, a pro I rebuilt, a pro I am rebuilding, an advanced I am waiting for parts for, a DJi 550, and a 450 plus a handful of indoor units plus a couple more

Ya, they are fun.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing, resisted for years. The giant helicopter hanging in my office is a subtle reminder of how much fun it used to be.

Then I got one of those little tiny handheld ones, thought 'this won't lead to anything' bwahahahahaa

I have a new phantom 3 professional, a pro I rebuilt, a pro I am rebuilding, an advanced I am waiting for parts for, a DJi 550, and a 450 plus a handful of indoor units plus a couple more

Ya, they are fun.
Your in a little deeper than what I want to get, but I totally understand how it happens. I had a fleet of RC planes and 2 Concept 30 helicopters back then. The concept 30's were tricky to maintain and fly for a guy like me. I had no instructor but I managed to fly them in the end. Are the Drones maintence headaches like the ol choppers used to be? I'm thinking Phantom 3 Adanvced.
Thanks.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover View Post
Your in a little deeper than what I want to get, but I totally understand how it happens. I had a fleet of RC planes and 2 Concept 30 helicopters back then. The concept 30's were tricky to maintain and fly for a guy like me. I had no instructor but I managed to fly them in the end. Are the Drones maintence headaches like the ol choppers used to be? I'm thinking Phantom 3 Adanvced.
Thanks.
I started with heli's too, but honestly did not have more than a few dozen hours flying them. They were just too heady, dangerous, expensive to fly without training, I learned alone.

I haven't been on for a week, I am up to 8 DJI's now.

I found that I really enjoy tearing down and fixing them, so I bought a couple crashed ones and rebuilt them. Maintenance is down to seconds, visual screw check, batteries good, fly.

I just picked up a phantom 4, so a few of my other ones are going to be going up for sale. I will be selling the only one I bought brand new, a Phantom 3 professional with some extras; prop protectors, multi battery charger, new unused props, maybe a case, as many batteries as anyone wants. The Phantoms are just awesome, I am totally impressed with their capabilities.

I have (all flying, ready to go) 1 P3 pro, 1 P4, 1 P3 advanced, 1 P2, 1 P2 vision plus waiting for camera parts, 1 450, waiting for some parts to complete 2 more P3 pro's.

I still think it would be fun to mount the 450 in this, paint it up and fly it
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Awesome collection! Take care of those batteries, I seen a bad fire caused by what I think we're those old nicads once..ill be keeping mine in an ammo box when the time comes.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Thanks! Yes, I hear LiPo's can be lethal, that is why they are in the garage on solid steel. I know it is a small risk, but I don't like risk so they can be out there.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Banned

Was going to upgrade the batteries in our RC trucks from NiMH to Li-po's...till I read the 'warning' sheet with the Li-po's...they make it sound like you should expect a fire or explosion.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Was going to upgrade the batteries in our RC trucks from NiMH to Li-po's...till I read the 'warning' sheet with the Li-po's...they make it sound like you should expect a fire or explosion.
Keep away from anything flammable,and you should be ok. Remember hobby stores have tons of em laying around and ya don't hear of any of them burning down.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Did you ever have a Big Bruiser? There were a few in the Hobby shop I worked at, but I never got 1
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover View Post
Keep away from anything flammable,and you should be ok. Remember hobby stores have tons of em laying around and ya don't hear of any of them burning down.
It's more during the charge I'm concerned about.
The Li-po specific charger comes with a temp probe you insert into the battery back and it specifically states to monitor the temperature constantly, not to charge on anything flammable, not to overcharge because of explosion possibility.
I know there's little chance of issues if charged properly...but the owners of these trucks (Traxxas Slash) are 12 and 15, and are responsible for upkeep of their possessions.
Until they are a little older they'll stick to Ni-MH
Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 PM

I really like that about Dji, the batteries have boards built into them for safety that monitor just that.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:44 PM

I have a few drones ready and a couple almost ready to go; a phantom 2 (no cam), a phantom 2 vision plus (waiting for cable), a Phantom 3 pro that is VERY nice, a Dji 450 with Naza setup (cheap unit, Sony handycam +$150) and a couple more phantoms once I get the parts in, if anyone is interested I will put them in the sale section.
Every drone pictured comes with remote, battery, charger, props. I have extra batteries and props if wanted.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 08-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Banned

Got my P3 strictly as a hobby, But the word has spread. I now have a farmer who wants a video and still pics of several combines at work and another who wants areal pics of their round up.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Banned

Default Sunrise with the Phantom 3 drone

Got up bright and early to catch the 6:27 am sunrise and take some photos.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Banned

Test flight in a good wind with the P3 Pro.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Hopefully this doesn't get me shot but, has anyone bought any of the chinese quad copters/drones? I've been looking on Banggood.com because I was just in Kelowna on holidays and ran into a guy flying his in the park and he said it cost him about $300. (Never actually heard of bang good until I talked to this guy) But I was contemplating this one: http://m.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-...p-1008942.html
I'm really interested in learning how to fly one of these things, mostly for the photos and a bit of video but not so interested in spending two grand to get into it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, the shots of the new bridge by Drayton Valley are pretty cool.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlaker View Post
Hopefully this doesn't get me shot but, has anyone bought any of the chinese quad copters/drones?
You might want to check out the Autel products.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:22 AM

Great hobbies in edmonton has the eMachines but they are not for pics and video. Prices on DJI phantoms have been dropping with the promise of a new release in 2 weeks, you can get a p3 standard for about $600
Old 09-14-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlaker View Post
Hopefully this doesn't get me shot but, has anyone bought any of the chinese quad copters/drones? I've been looking on Banggood.com because I was just in Kelowna on holidays and ran into a guy flying his in the park and he said it cost him about $300. (Never actually heard of bang good until I talked to this guy) But I was contemplating this one: http://m.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-...p-1008942.html
I'm really interested in learning how to fly one of these things, mostly for the photos and a bit of video but not so interested in spending two grand to get into it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, the shots of the new bridge by Drayton Valley are pretty cool.
Id stay away from that quadcopter. They are known to break easily and consist of mostly proprietary parts. When you crash and break things, and you will a lot, its a long wait for parts from China. There are better options in that price range.
It is advisable to start flying with a cheap toy grade quadcopter to learn the basics before stepping up to a hobby grade. I can recommend some if you'd like.
No issues ordering from Banggood, i do all the time. However make sure to use Paypal and expect orders to take a month or so most of the time.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry

And a trackimo. Gone skyward is as expensive as downward

After the price of the units a couple safety features is not a bad idea.

I take mine out every day it is not pouring rain sideways or howling wind, but am sticking to the 30/30 beginner mode, for now. Over grass. Away from trees roads building people. ...

When I want to cut loose I take a mini into the garage and tear around. I can literally smash 100 of these at $15 each for the price of 1 big one.
What model of little ones would you recommend?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 PM

this is a great little drone, but if there is ANY wind do not take them outside. And always stay within about a 40' circle or they tend to go exploring. Best to buy 2.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...FViTfgodAcsPcQ

this one is excellent too, and virtually impossible to hurt anyone or anything

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_226088.html