Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-14-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Wolf Success

How many of you have had success wolf bow hunting without the aid of dogs?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Thats a hard one...called in a few but to get a close and broadside bow shot is not an easy task...

Best done over a bait set up such as a bear bait station...

Had a couple oppurtunities at bear baits...one wasnt the best looking and the other looked like it had pups...so I didnt shoot....

Several I have took with my rifle on foot were close enough for bow so its possible ...

Neil
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

I know people bowhunt cougars with dogs all the time, but never heard of hunting wolves with dogs. Do the dogs bring wolf to bay and keep it surrounded while hunter gets in range? You'd figure wolf would run up to 10-20 miles before that would happen. Think I'll google it.

Did google and there is one state in the US that allows wolf hunting with dogs and that is Wisconsin. I'm not really sure you would be allowed to hunt that way in AB.

Last edited by waterninja; 12-15-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM

I shot one with my bow in 2011.A pack of wolves killed a moose in the bush about 50yrds in the bush behind my stand.I was able to sneak in to 27 yrds and shoot the biggest one there out of 7 wolves with my Hoyt Alphamax.I love that bow.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I know people bowhunt cougars with dogs all the time, but never heard of hunting wolves with dogs. Do the dogs bring wolf to bay and keep it surrounded while hunter gets in range? You'd figure wolf would run up to 10-20 miles before that would happen. Think I'll google it.

Did google and there is one state in the US that allows wolf hunting with dogs and that is Wisconsin. I'm not really sure you would be allowed to hunt that way in AB.
Wolves KILL dogs they dont run and tree like a kitty cat
Old 12-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Wolves KILL dogs they dont run and tree like a kitty cat
x2 haven't really heard of people hunting wolves with dogs
Old 12-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Know of bow hunters taking wolf here...

http://albertawolfhunting.com/wolf-h...formation.html

Neil
Old 12-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Running wolves with dogs is ridiculously stupid imo.
They are the most territorial animal in the bush. I have seen one wolf kill three 50 pound dogs. Healthy wolves rarely run from a fight, especially against dogs. They will kill every last one of them if they can.
Even using irish wolf hounds your dogs need to greatly out number the wolves.
This being said, I do have my dog with me when I'm hunting wolves.(on-leash)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Running wolves with dogs is ridiculously stupid imo.
They are the most territorial animal in the bush. I have seen one wolf kill three 50 pound dogs. Healthy wolves rarely run from a fight, especially against dogs. They will kill every last one of them if they can.
Even using irish wolf hounds your dogs need to greatly out number the wolves.
This being said, I do have my dog with me when I'm hunting wolves.(on-leash)
Back in the day we used to race dog teams and raise pack and sled dogs...Big dogs... dog were on runs..chains that run on cable ...one wolf would go down the line and kill everyone of them...

Neil
Old 12-15-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Back in the day we used to race dog teams and raise pack and sled dogs...Big dogs... dog were on runs..chains that run on cable ...one wolf would go down the line and kill everyone of them...

Neil
These three dogs were let loose on the wolf.
I absolutely believe a wolf would do that. I have heard of that to many times to count unfortunately.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Here is how to do it all

works like a damn .. calling this year at stand
and once on a set up (Elk Distress)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231443

called them in close less than 35 yards at my stand twice(once 2012 Elk distress)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=148789

called them into another stand a few times years ago with friends and my boys also my boy Moose hunting
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=153067

also had many times when I called them in/and around me in the dark and in day lite where I could not see them but could hear them moving or calling back

here is also a couple pictures when they came into where I was calling the next morning
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...lves+fishermen

also a post I did on calling them in 10/12/2013
Wolf hunting basics
1.howling to locate at night
the calling part is a tool we use to hunt most animals same for Wolves

2. set-up in good spot the next morning and call but be ready as with Coyotes they will come for over 3 to 5 miles and it may take some time

it should be a quite morning no wind or very little

3. types of calls .. I used howling to call in 3 different Wolf packs or single last year

Elk distress call or predator call will work great or Fawn distress as others have said they were rattling or Moose calling ..

I called in one pack using a Elk reed distress call last year and have used this before and called them into a ground blind from 1 1/2 miles too 2 miles away

if you want to be a part of predator control in your favorite hunting area then give this a try..

its just like calling Moose/Elk/Deer/Coyote/Turkey until you try it you will never know

They will come .. I have done calling of Wolves when I wanted to and have been successful ...my buddy Tim has been with me a few times when calling them and last year my Mentee was there for one pack(vented one) and my youngest son was there for another pack which I counted a coup and let live

so this fall and winter in your area try hunting Wolves and when they howl back and are coming its like having a Bull coming its exciting as heck

Fun fun fun

Food for Thought

David
Miskiki Lake called in howling 2012

so

this is as always

Food for Thought

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 12-15-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:42 PM

here is one from 2011. Right place, right time.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM

I called in a pair of them once, unintentionally. Was cow calling, walking back to the truck after a long walk and not seeing any elk. Was in heavy timber near Grande Cache. Saw a black shape running at me, and then a second one. I didn't have an arrow knocked, and began to yell and wave my arms. One wolf stopped about 15 yards in front of me, and the other swung around behind me. They were setting up to hamstring me as they would an elk, but they realized something was not right. I began to gain my composure when I realized they were trying to figure me out, got an arrow on, and let fly on one as it turned and began to leave. I found the arrow, which had evidence of a marginal hit. Came back for two days to look for the wolf, but never did find it. Hair raising experience, can still see the yellow eyes staring at me.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Default Wolf Success

I killed one with my bow. Seen it about 300 yards away on a cut line. I made a few cow moose moans and about 30 seconds later I shot it at 6 or 7 yards. Smaller female, but hey, I called in and killed a wolf with my bow! Lol

I have called a few more in for buddies by howling, ending in a clean miss and a non-recovery. I have also had the privilege of missing on 2 separate occasions on ones I have called in for myself. They are very fast when they know something is not right! I emptied my quiver at 2 that were standing at about 50 yards years ago! I called them in elk hunting and they came from down wind and stopped, staring at me. I was shooting an old tech bow, circa 1994 ish, at a whopping 200fps (average for the day, lol) and they simply jumped out of the way of the arrows. Just like on the matrix, lol. After they left I went and picked up my arrows and went home for new broadheads. The other time I missed I was calling moose and it came in down wind. I got a shot off while it was moving, but didn't manage to get it.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 PM

I arrowed two while elk hunting in 2011. Second most exciting moments I've had while hunting. Wrote a bit of a story and posted a pic if you want to search the thread.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 AM

Wink Un nerving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather burner View Post
I called in a pair of them once, unintentionally. Was cow calling, walking back to the truck after a long walk and not seeing any elk. Was in heavy timber near Grande Cache. Saw a black shape running at me, and then a second one. I didn't have an arrow knocked, and began to yell and wave my arms. One wolf stopped about 15 yards in front of me, and the other swung around behind me. They were setting up to hamstring me as they would an elk, but they realized something was not right. I began to gain my composure when I realized they were trying to figure me out, got an arrow on, and let fly on one as it turned and began to leave. I found the arrow, which had evidence of a marginal hit. Came back for two days to look for the wolf, but never did find it. Hair raising experience, can still see the yellow eyes staring at me.
Wow. A little too close a little too fast. Should've drawn your sidearm...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather burner View Post
Same thing for me. We called in a group of five but they came in on us when we sitting down eating a power bar. I don't know who was more surprised, the wolves or us. No time to take a shot - they were gone in a few seconds.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
here is one from 2011. Right place, right time.

Good for you. I am envious!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Wolf Success

I've killed two with a bow. One in 2010 out of a treestand over my bear bait, one this spring on the cutline while I was walking out from my bear bait. Here's the one this spring

Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Awesome buddy, great job!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Awesome buddy, great job!
X2

Nice looking wolf. I would like a wolf fur hat and mitts so intending to put some time in this winter.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Good job on the big bad wolfs Gang...more taken with a bow just on this forum than I seen on all the all-You-Alls forums combined...
Even read a article in a top bowhunting mag titled "The one animal you will never shoot with a bow" [Wolf] outstanding...

Neil