Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM

Default Legal or not?

An infered camera that plugs into your cell phone...see animals in the dark...

http://www.laserfocusworld.com/artic...de-optics.html

I dont this being used much to poach or hunt illegal...but it will happen...

However I am thinking of the asset of how this may aid in finding game down in darkness of night...

what do you think should these be illegal to use in any act of hunting?

Recoverery is still part of the act of hunting

These are for sale to the hunting community now

Thoughts?

Neil
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM

I think it would be awesome as an aid to recovery in certain circumstances.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Recovery is still part of the act of hunting
Recovery is not shut down 30 mins after sundown. You recover all night if you have to and it is legal. So having a heat seeker to find your downed game IMHO is a good thing and not a bad thing. Can't see why it would not be legal to use for recovering animals.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM

all good IMO. Why shouldn't you be able to scout at night?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Recovery is not shut down 30 mins after sundown. You recover all night if you have to and it is legal. So having a heat seeker to find your downed game IMHO is a good thing and not a bad thing. Can't see why it would not be legal to use for recovering animals.
That explanation makes sense to me.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Don't think it is illegal.

Was hashed out in the hunting section.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=237515
Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Was hashed out in the hunting section.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=237515
Dont go to hunting section much...lots of opinions and little fact...lol
Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I'll agree with that. lol.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Correct as long as you are are not in the act of hunting wildlife after legal light

Neil
Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
all good IMO. Why shouldn't you be able to scout at night?
Quote:
Correct as long as you are are not in the act of hunting wildlife after legal light

Neil
Just be sure that you don't have a weapon in your possession.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-03-2014, 02:14 PM

I want it just for peace of mind that Mr/Ms Grizz are not lurking around on my entrance and exit to my spots.......helping recover a animal in heavy bush would just be a bonus, problem is that it would be used for all the wrong reasons as well in the hands of the dirtbag !!!
Old 12-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Best post on this whole forum.

I think a good flashlight could outdo a camera for finding downed game at night.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Neil
I think it would great to help find those lost deer after dark. My only concern is effective range - I could not see anything in the article to understand how far it works.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I think it would great to help find those lost deer after dark. My only concern is effective range - I could not see anything in the article to understand how far it works.
The only one ive ever played with worked well, but with limited range. Mind you it was at work in a industrial environment. With the contrast of cold woods/brush vs body temp it may surprise a person. If it was effective i could see it being a huge aid to recovery, but rest assured it would also be abused.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 PM

I am going to buy one and give it try. I lost a deer this year and I don't want to go through that again.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Recovery is not shut down 30 mins after sundown. You recover all night if you have to and it is legal.
Where do you see this in writing?
Lots do it, but where is it stated that you can track an animal after dark? I've always wondered about this.

28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during
the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2
hour before sunrise the following day.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Where do you see this in writing?
Lots do it, but where is it stated that you can track an animal after dark? I've always wondered about this.

28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during
the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2
hour before sunrise the following day.
Your not hunting, you are tracking a shot animal which you are obligated to do.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Your not hunting, you are tracking a shot animal which you are obligated to do.
Tracking isn't a form of hunting?

Agree about the obligation part.
41(1) A person who has killed or is in possession of a game bird
or big game animal, other than a mountain lion or bear, shall not
(a) abandon any of its flesh that is fit for human consumption,
(b) destroy any such flesh, or
(c) allow any such flesh to become unfit for human
consumption.

I'm unsure about tracking at night. Where does is it say that this is allowable? Like I said, I've always wondered about this.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Tracking isn't a form of hunting?

Agree about the obligation part.
41(1) A person who has killed or is in possession of a game bird
or big game animal, other than a mountain lion or bear, shall not
(a) abandon any of its flesh that is fit for human consumption,
(b) destroy any such flesh, or
(c) allow any such flesh to become unfit for human
consumption.

I'm unsure about tracking at night. Where does is it say that this is allowable? Like I said, I've always wondered about this.
The regs usually say what you can not do. I agree there is no problem with night time tracking of any sort, and you are obligated to attempt to retrieve your game.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Im with Nelson on this one, if tracking a shot animal in the dark was illegal it would definately be posted in the regs, im pretty sure everyone that hunts has located most of their animals in the dark when they hunt late afternoon mainly, i cant remember the last one i retrieved in daylight hours.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Im with Nelson on this one, if tracking a shot animal in the dark was illegal it would definately be posted in the regs, im pretty sure everyone that hunts has located most of their animals in the dark when they hunt late afternoon mainly, i cant remember the last one i retrieved in daylight hours.
I typically don't have to track much game....even the archery kills either drop in sight or are found quickly, saying MOST track in the dark on afternoon hunts is not overly accurate IMHO.

LC
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

This is a very interesting thread. You can't use a dog to help track an animal even in the dark with no weapon,which IMHO would be the most effective way to track an animal, esp. when there is no snow on the ground. That is one law I wish they would change.
I doubt a heat seeking camera or similar device would have a very far range unless it was military high grade. As to whether it is legal or not, no idea. Perhaps call to F&G would sort it out, but you would probably get different answers depending on who you talked to.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I typically don't have to track much game....even the archery kills either drop in sight or are found quickly, saying MOST track in the dark on afternoon hunts is not overly accurate IMHO.

LC
An example of when you would pursue after legal light (30 mins post sundown). You take the shot with 10 mins legal hunting time remaining. You did not see the animal drop and you feel the shot was good or maybe the shot wasn't so good? So you wait 45 mins or an hour for the animal to bleed out. This is good practise....not bad practise. Schooch is just saying that hunting in the late aft is the time of day where you could run into a situation where you might have to track in the dark. I agree with that. I've had to do it once.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
An example of when you would pursue after legal light (30 mins post sundown). You take the shot with 10 mins legal hunting time remaining. You did not see the animal drop and you feel the shot was good or maybe the shot wasn't so good? So you wait 45 mins or an hour for the animal to bleed out. This is good practise....not bad practise. Schooch is just saying that hunting in the late aft is the time of day where you could run into a situation where you might have to track in the dark. I agree with that. I've had to do it once.
100% on this. Never met a bowhunter that didn't wait a half hour minimum when the animal doesn't drop in sight.
Even when they drop within sight I wait 10 minutes or so, just to take it all in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Just curious, on those days when they don't fall within sight, do you go look for the animal after dark?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM

I should have explained myself better i guess, i only archery hunt and if hunting late afternoon and i take a shot i still stay in my stand until its dark probably why i track in the dark always, furthest one i have had to track is last years muly buck at approx 100 yds i havent had the luxury of them dropping ever right where i shoot them.....that was a double lung guess i should aim at the heart lol
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 AM

^^^^^^^

Lotta variation in how animals react to being shot in different parts of the body. Double lung usually ends up in the animal doing the mad dash, but on more than one occasion I've seen them stand in place and suck wind until they expire.

Also gotta say that I'm enjoying the open discussion on this thread. Hope it lasts. Guessing it won't.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Of course if I have to I'll look in the dark but I couldn't say MOST of the time I have to look in the dark....I would say NOT VERY OFTEN....that was my point. A lot of the archery kills I have made have fallen within eye or ear shot....just lucky I guess.

Now that SCHOOCH explained he stays in stand till dark, regardless....of course he is tracking in the dark

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-04-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 AM

In the 40 plus years of bowhunting I have done countless night tracking of my own and other bowhnters helping out...even those that go down quick in many circumstances ..thick bush...high fields, ... mountain/hilly terrain etc
If one doesnt want to track in dark best quit at NOON....lol

Tracking after dark is legal and is considered recovery as long as you are not in posession of a weapon in hand...if a follow up shot is needed you have to by law wait till first legal light...

At one time it was not against the law to fire a weapon in night darkness...was the practice back in the day when we hunted with true black powder patch and ball...at night after the days hunt we would fire the BP gun to empty chamber as black powder absorbs mositure...left in overnight in conditions would cause a miss- or hang fire...

laws change for a reason...at one time it was leagal to shoot a bow off a road..FROM the back of a pickup truck...

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 12-04-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
The regs usually say what you can not do.
Agreed, and they say that you cannot hunt at night.
Hunting is also defined. They don't use the word 'tracking' but say "search for" and "follow after".
Putting the two together I come up with the conclusion that you can't track at night.

Note: I'm not arguing with anyone, just looking for discussion. I find this regulation and a few other related regulations to be written in a very broad manner. In this case, I see a big difference between tracking an animal that has been shot and one that has not been shot. The regulations don't make the distinction. (To avoid the derail, a person might track an 'unshot' animal in the dark if they cut a track in the snow while walking in in the A.M. If a person chose to follow that track prior to legal light, I would assume that they are hunting in the dark. Personally, I would not follow that track. Anyway, back to the actual topic.)

Lots of people will track a shot animal in the dark. I do it. I believe it is the ethical thing to do. But I still wonder about the legality. I sometime think that people just turn a blind eye to this question.

I wish the regs were explicit on this topic.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Tracking after dark is legal and is considered recovery as long as you are not in posession of a weapon in hand...if a follow up shot is needed you have to by law wait till first legal light....
This was discussed in another thread. You can't imagine the s***storm that was started when someone said that if you put your weapon in your vehicle that you are not hunting. You can hunt without a weapon.

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject
animal
(a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if
(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and
(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to
watching, photographing, drawing or painting a
picture of the animal,

Basically, you need to be painting a picture of the animal in order to not be hunting.

Every law is written for a reason For the life of me, I don't understand the purpose behind that one.

I really wish that 'tracking' shot animals was dealt with clearly in the regs