Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM

Default A question on draw length

Found a killer deal on a carbon spyder on AT. Only thing is the draw only go's to 28 and I'm 28.5. How much will o notice .5 of an inch. Can I just run a longer dloop
Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Found a killer deal on a carbon spyder on AT. Only thing is the draw only go's to 28 and I'm 28.5. How much will o notice .5 of an inch. Can I just run a longer dloop
Yep and if you change releases to find one with a greater distance between the trigger and the jaws you won't even notice the difference. I use to shoot a TrueFire then switched to an Scott and the difference was almost 1/4 on an inch. (the Scott is shorter)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Cool thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 PM

If you use a fixed blade arrow head it might not be long enough
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
If you use a fixed blade arrow head it might not be long enough
that's dependant on how long I cut my arrows to
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM

actually if I shoot draw 28.5 and change to 28 inches and keep the same arrws itll actually give me more room with arrow length
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Does the bow actualy measures the stated draw length at the wall .Probable not.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:32 AM

You could also play with the length of your D-loop.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Someone with more tuning experience can chime in, but I believe if you add a twist or 2 to your cables it will increase poundage and draw lenght. Sometthing about retarding the Cams from rotating. Neil????
Old 11-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Someone with more tuning experience can chime in, but I believe if you add a twist or 2 to your cables it will increase poundage and draw lenght. Sometthing about retarding the Cams from rotating. Neil????

twisting strings/cable can and will dramatically change all specs...including draw and can be played with somewhat...however i dont recommend doing it this way ...string/cable twisting is done for cam timing and all bow specs to design...twisting string/cables to accomadate one spec will change all the others...

for example to twist string/cables to accomadate draw will likely throw cam timing way out of spec...such as other important specs...

also a long loop will not change draw at all just anchor points...

My suggestion is to simply purchage the correct cams from your Hoyt dealer... they are adjustable in half inch incements from 28-30 inch

The cam you have on is likely the 26-28 inch pending on model of Turbo

Have you tried to adjust the rotating modulars?

Neil
Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 AM

You could make your d loop longer to accommodate your proper anchor points... Until you decide to swap your cams and string/cables
Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Square peg round hole ....do as Neil said buy new cams if these cannot be adjusted to you proper draw length.
Check out Archery Talk try and find some used cams for cheap ....then when you swap cams sell yours should break darn near even.

That said I shoot a bow half an inch short ....its just how I enjoy to shoot though.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:44 PM

I have played with cables to increase/decrease draw lengths by 1/8"-1/4" while maintaining timing with no issues to overall bow performance, as well as setting my desired draw weight. Truth be told, I have really been able to tune Hoyts by doing this to perfection (bareshafts and fletched arrows hitting same POI out to 80 yards), ATA and brace height, IMO, are guidelines and people spend to much time getting them exactly right without any improvement to arrow flight.

Any more than approximately 1/4" adjustments would need another module.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM

A lot can be changed with cables and strings. I recall a High Country Excalibur with hatchet cams we had came with 27 or 28" modules and my wife wanted to shoot it. She drew 25" .Shorter modules were impossible to find, so I started twisting and un twisting until we had the draw length right for her.
Everyone said it won't work, and if it did performance would suffer terribly.
Well the experts were totally wrong and out to lunch. It is interesting to note none of the experts at the time had ever attempted to make such a big change, but they read it was impossible.
It turned out just fine, and later on I was able to locate the proper draw length modules for her short draw. When I returned the string and cables to original spec's and installed the short draw modules , the bow had far less performance than it did with the longer draw modules and the strings and cables adjusted to make it a short draw.
We ended up going back to the long draw mods, and adjusted strings and cables .
The changes took a lot of trial and error, and many sessions in the bow press to get it right, but in the end thinking outside the box can work quite well. You just need to do it.

Will a shop do it for you? Probably not, and I doubt that any shop guys have actualy done it. Just another reason to have your own press and do things yourself.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Actually I saw Lawrence at Accurate do it to increase poundage/speed and he is the guy that told me it would also slightly increase the draw length. I also believe he did it to ABB's Prime Alloy to give it a lttle more power.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
A lot can be changed with cables and strings. I recall a High Country Excalibur with hatchet cams we had came with 27 or 28" modules and my wife wanted to shoot it. She drew 25" .Shorter modules were impossible to find, so I started twisting and un twisting until we had the draw length right for her.
Well the experts were totally wrong and out to lunch. It is interesting to note none of the experts at the time had ever attempted to make such a big change, but they read it was impossible.
It turned out just fine, and later on I was able to locate the proper draw length modules for her short draw. When I returned the string and cables to original spec's and installed the short draw modules , the bow had far less performance than it did with the longer draw modules and the strings and cables adjusted to make it a short draw.
The changes took a lot of trial and error, and many sessions in the bow press to get it right, but in the end thinking outside the box can work quite well. You just need to do it.

Will a shop do it for you? Probably not, and I doubt that any shop guys have actualy done it. Just another reason to have your own press and do things yourself.
My only question is, wouldn't it over stress the limbs?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Do what Neil says. The proper cams may not be too expensive. Some places may even just exchange them. On my pro edge elite I can adjust the draw length by +/- about 1/4" by adjusting the strings and cables. This is about all you can do within a mod length. That's why they make the actual correct part to accomplish the adjustment. If you start really messing with stuff you will throw the geometry out to the point where it could become dangerous for you and/or the bow. Be safe and do it with the cams!

Regarding he question on if the draw length will be as it is supposed to be, as long as someone hasn't messed around with it and it is on spec in all other regards, it is a hoyt, and the are notorious for measuring out as specified. They are the only bow manufacturing company that has an iso 9001 (I believe) certification which holds them to consistency and performance specs.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
My only question is, wouldn't it over stress the limbs?
Increasing draw weight will overstress limbs, Changing draw length will not.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Curious how other specs turned out ..cam timing possible but ATA and BH, etc..its not possible to twist strings to achieve a certain draw lentgh at over 2-3 inches" without effecting draw weight, ATA, timing, BH, lean and other specs....?

Neil
Old 12-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Technology has changed a lot over the past 20 years, todays bows are designed with a draw stop system of some kind either cam to limb or cam to cable. basically short stringing a bow "pre-draws" the bow and thus would negate the overdrive system that todays bows have on their cams. Randomly twisting and un-twisting cables with today's bows there would also be a chance of a lockup....(where letoff is >100%) and is a very dangerous situation.

LUDICROUS ADVICE based on todays technology..... If there is a draw length specific cam or module for today's bows it is to get best performance and keep bow in spec....
Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Technology has changed a lot over the past 20 years, todays bows are designed with a draw stop system of some kind either cam to limb or cam to cable. basically short stringing a bow "pre-draws" the bow and thus would negate the overdrive system that todays bows have on their cams. Randomly twisting and un-twisting cables with today's bows there would also be a chance of a lockup....(where letoff is >100%) and is a very dangerous situation.

LUDICROUS ADVICE based on todays technology..... If there is a draw length specific cam or module for today's bows it is to get best performance and keep bow in spec....
So I take it you have never tried it then, and you are speaking based on assumption's, not actual experience. back then they said it could not be done too.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So I take it you have never tried it then, and you are speaking based on assumption's, not actual experience. back then they said it could not be done too.
I don't need to stick my nutz in a meat grinder either to determine that it would not be a good idea either.....

Last edited by nekred; 12-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM

When was the last time you worked on a compound bow?.... probably when I was in diapers and before you were back into them!....

Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM

probably so, but a string and cable wrapped around a cam is still the same as it always was and is. Changes happen when cable and string length change, and they are are predictable . The inquisitive mind can discover things . The closed mind will never know. In the end it is no diferent than a rope around a wheel.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Lol, too funny. Seriously though, it is really bad advise that could really hurt someone. If anyone is tempted to follow advise stating you can change draw length by 2 or 3 inches on a compound bow by twisting strings and cables, don't do it, it will only end in personal Injury, a broken bow, and likely both. Do the smart thing and just change the mods or cam if need be.

Last edited by normanrd; 12-05-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I don't need to stick my nutz in a meat grinder either to determine that it would not be a good idea either.....

Hahahahaha..there went my coffee all over the screen...lol
Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Lol, too funny. Seriously though, it is really bad advise that could really hurt someone. If anyone is tempted to follow advise stating you can change draw length by 2 or 3 inches on a compound bow by twisting strings and cables, don't do it, it will only end in personal Injury, a broken bow, and likely both. Do the smart thing and just change the mods or cam if need be.
. AGREED...to do that with a modern bow one woukd have to tie knots in strings...dont try that either..lol
Old 12-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I found a cs34 a guy was selling with my drawlength in alberta so it worked out way better than buying from the states

Thanks again for the help
Old 12-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Thanks guys for the advice. I found a cs34 a guy was selling with my drawlength in alberta so it worked out way better than buying from the states

Thanks again for the help
. Good job! !!!!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Perfect!