Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Default General Decent Fly Fishing setup

## Reposting in here as I forgot there was a fly-fishing forum.

Looking for a pretty decent setup (least rod/line) wise. Reel can probably be cheaper I would think. Looking to spend around 200$ (without flys).

I fish a lot of ponds and 90% of my fishing will be pond based pike up to 33"~+++ but would also use it to fish other species as well. I enjoy fishing slightly on the lighter line side of things, currently using a light/medium 6'6" spinning rod with 10pd test powerpro (2pd eq).

Any other questions that would help gear choice please ask and thanks for any feedback!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 PM

You will gets lots of suggestions to spend more, but I'll take your request at face value. I'd look for a Reddington combo. They can be had at $200 or less from Wholesale Sports, and at least Reddington is a real fly rod company. Not high or mid end, but...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:05 PM

If you are going to fish for pike you need a 8 weight rod but can get away with a 7 weight as you can fish for trout with the 7 weight . The 8 weight is a little heavy for trout and the 7 weight kinda light for pike. For pike you really need a pike fly line which can be used for trout. 60 to 70 bucks right there. Leaves 140 buck for the rest. Doubtful. Have to buy used for sure . But you won't get much for 140 bucks. Hope you make it.
Good luck and keep watching the buy and sell part of this forum.
Bjay
Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
If you are going to fish for pike you need a 8 weight rod but can get away with a 7 weight as you can fish for trout with the 7 weight . The 8 weight is a little heavy for trout and the 7 weight kinda light for pike. For pike you really need a pike fly line which can be used for trout. 60 to 70 bucks right there. Leaves 140 buck for the rest. Doubtful. Have to buy used for sure . But you won't get much for 140 bucks. Hope you make it.
Good luck and keep watching the buy and sell part of this forum.
Bjay
That's interesting. I have a 5wt I use for trout, etc. locally and an 8wt I bought primarily for bonefish. I've never caught a pike on the fly. I'm wondering if a 6wt would work. I know it's not ideal for pike, but would the rod or line break? Obviously not optimum, but I would think if the leader and tippet were strong enough...
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's interesting. I have a 5wt I use for trout, etc. locally and an 8wt I bought primarily for bonefish. I've never caught a pike on the fly. I'm wondering if a 6wt would work. I know it's not ideal for pike, but would the rod or line break? Obviously not optimum, but I would think if the leader and tippet were strong enough...
Your six weight would easily handle a twenty lb. pike on the end of it. Your real problem would be casting the pike fly with the 6 weight. Your 6 weight is big enough to cast bonefish flies.

When picking a rod weight the first thing to consider is the fly your tossing not the quarry.

Go buy a 8 wt TFO rod and reel and you should be able to find a weight forward floating line for 50$ . 200 hundred will get you where you need to be for those three items. You don't need to buy a expensive pike specific line with a shooting head at this time.
Remember when you get out there and start having problems casting the pike fly the first thing to change would be sHorton leader length. Get the casting working for you a bit before you even tie on your fly.

Last edited by lannie; 08-21-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Budy of mine just picked up a set from the fishin hole. Big sale until Saturday. Tfo ss2 5wt with grey gx reel and line for just a little over $200. You should go check it out. Cheers
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

6wt can easily handle a pike but has a tougher time throwing those big pike flys.
7, 8 or 9wt will cast larger flies with greater ease and a lot less stress on you.
I agree Reddington combo's are a good starter for the price. After all they are a sister company of Sage.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Hmm thanks for all the replies, looks like there is a lot more to think about than spinning. Not sure what to go with now, to many options. Rod weight seems to be the biggest issue, how "hard" is it to cast bigger flies on a 5/6 wt. would really like to use the rod for multispecies. Would it be like casting a heavy spoon on a light rod or how can I compare?

I think I need to try fly fishing to understand the issues at hand before buying.
Thanks again for all input!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Yes it would be like throwing a heavy lure on a light weight rod but actually more difficult because of the false casting.
Go to a fly shop and do some sample casting.
The guys are there to help you

A 5wt will not handle larger flies well
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM

with a little practice on a 7wt will be more than enough for pike and pike flies, guys use a 6 wt for bull trout through flies equally as heavy if not heavier. an 8 wt is nice but not necessary in my opinion, it all comes down to how much practice and skills that will develop over time. i wouldn't start out for pike with anything less than a 7 wt for big flies. If you go with a 7 or 8 to start you can always pick up another combo in the 4-6 wt range later on for trout fishing. As for as brands go starting out i would go with a tfo package, tossing big flies your probably likely to snap a tip or two and their warranty cannot be beat.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaro View Post
Hmm thanks for all the replies, looks like there is a lot more to think about than spinning. Not sure what to go with now, to many options. Rod weight seems to be the biggest issue, how "hard" is it to cast bigger flies on a 5/6 wt. would really like to use the rod for multispecies. Would it be like casting a heavy spoon on a light rod or how can I compare?

I think I need to try fly fishing to understand the issues at hand before buying.
Thanks again for all input!

Where are you? There is a fly shop in downtown calgary that arranges lessons. I think it's around $250 for the day, but they GIVE you the rod, reel, and line when you are finished. I'm sure someone can help me out with the name. They sell a lot of Filson gear.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Where are you? There is a fly shop in downtown calgary that arranges lessons. I think it's around $250 for the day, but they GIVE you the rod, reel, and line when you are finished. I'm sure someone can help me out with the name. They sell a lot of Filson gear.
Hanson's. Nice gear, terrible customer service.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissarmygeneral View Post
Hanson's. Nice gear, terrible customer service.
I get intimidated in that place. LOL But then I don't own a tilly hat, just ball caps.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Your six weight would easily handle a twenty lb. pike on the end of it. Your real problem would be casting the pike fly with the 6 weight. Your 6 weight is big enough to cast bonefish flies.

When picking a rod weight the first thing to consider is the fly your tossing not the quarry.

Go buy a 8 wt TFO rod and reel and you should be able to find a weight forward floating line for 50$ . 200 hundred will get you where you need to be for those three items. You don't need to buy a expensive pike specific line with a shooting head at this time.
Remember when you get out there and start having problems casting the pike fly the first thing to change would be sHorton leader length. Get the casting working for you a bit before you even tie on your fly.
Ya was looking at TFO and they dont offer a 7wt, im guessing theres no lines like powerpro for fly-fishing? Been using 4 pound eqv. power pro without a leader and no biteoffs. Would like to get away without a leader if possible.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, slowly getting it dialed in.