Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Suggestions requested; Jasper, Abraham, FTR

(tl;dr below)

I’m hoping that some of the good people on this forum can help me out.

I’m heading off to the Jasper area on Friday and have about 10 days for me and the wife to play, camp, and fish the area. We don’t have much knowledge of this area as we typically head either West or South to play during the summer. We’ve chosen to spend some time in Jasper and surrounding areas as we’ve got a bit of family to visit during our time off.

As we have no real itinerary figured out yet I thought I’d ask here to see what suggestions everyone has as to some good locations to check out while we’re there. The only real destination that we’ve got to get to is to be in Jasper for the Friday / Saturday. The remainder of the time is fully open to us. Since we don’t get to Jasper much I’d like to spend at least a few days exploring and playing around there, but afterwards there’s nothing stopping us from packing up and heading over towards the Abraham lake area or down the FTR towards hummingbird / ram creek area. I don’t really want to go much further South than this during this trip as I can always explore this area from Calgary over a weekend easily enough.

We’ll be tenting so if there’s some good campgrounds around that cater more to the tenting crowd than the RV crowd that’d be great to hear about. The wife isn’t opposed to random camping for a day or two at a time but would much prefer to stay at a campground with at least an outhouse.

We’ll have our fly rods with us so I’d be more than happy to hear about some general areas that might be worthwhile to toss a line in. We both typically prefer fishing smaller streams and headwaters as we’d much rather catch a lot of smaller fish than a few bigger ones, and typically also prefer fishing flowing waters as opposed to still. Both of us are willing to walk a bit off the beaten path to get away from the crowds and to some more ‘uneducated’ fish. This is mostly just our preference for fishing though, so if there’s something that we really should make time to do (ie fishing for whites at Talbot) we’re both open to suggestions!

We’ll also be taking our hiking gear with us so if there are a few hikes that you’d consider a must-do I’d be interested in hearing about those as well. Fishing at the end of the hike or along the way is always appreciated, but certainly not necessary.

(tl;dr)
Have 10 days vacation coming up and am looking for some suggestions of fun things to do. Area that we’re considering is rather large; from Jasper Southeast to hummingbird / ram creek. No real itinerary to speak of yet so any suggestions for good camping / fishing / hiking are appreciated!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Banned

Pm sent...
Old 08-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Pm sent...
Kudos to Grinr for some leads into a few areas around Hinton.

Any and all other suggestions are more than welcome for any of the other areas listed above.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

You should try out talbot lake , they say on this forum it's really really great fishing and the whitefish are huge!!! Lol
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Fish the Maligne River where is runs into Medicine Lake for Trout

if your up for a guide for 1/2 a day go to Maligne next day rent a boat and motor etc

River fishing the Athabasca is great just fish where other rivers run in .. and if you can some rivers just upstream hold fish

if you need more info on certain rivers/lakes just ask I have 50 years fishing in Park

Talbot is fun for Pike and Whitefish

On-line guys in Jasper will have where the locals are fishing

David