Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Banned

Default Trout ponds best months

Do you guys find that most trout ponds are only good fishing in spring or fall as for lack of hatch summer long?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:08 AM

It is also too warm in the summer , fish are not that active. Summer is when people complain their favorite pond is fished out and than miraculously at the beginning of winter the same ponds are producing fish through the ice.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Banned

Managed another 21",18"and 16" at Muir last Saturday in a hour and a half in under 7ft of water. Been getting gooders there all year long.Not one on a fly yet this year all spinning gear.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Don't generally notice much of a slow down. August does stress the heck out of the fish though, and I get them to hand and released as quickly as possible.

True night fishing in the heat of summer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Default June, by far and away the best month for me.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 AM

I'd agree with the summer months being difficult for fishing these ponds but crawl out of bed at 5am and you'll find a morning hatch and fish activity in August. I found luck before work at Beaumont tying some size 16 Green Lacewings when the fish activity had died down from the morning previous. Hatchery trout will be just as habitual as wild once they settle in to their new surroundings and the old ones are just picky as always.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 AM

For stocked trout ponds i find it best the days before every long weekend till about 2 weeks after the long weekend (they stock before each long weekend lol) but in the rivers i catch 10 to 45 per day (in a 3 hour fishing trip) and i fish 4 or 5 times a week and this is all within a hour of calgary brooks, browns, cuttys, bows and bulls and the odd laker in the river
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM

I tend to use streamers underwater first until I see fish rising I switch to terrestrials.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
I tend to use streamers underwater first until I see fish rising I switch to terrestrials.
It all depends on my mood, i never match a hatch i have no reason 2 ive been at it for years back home in ontario, so its kinda a feel for a couple things... Like weather what to use after rain and drys dont work great in wind

If im dry fly fishing i just put on a adams or a elk hair, browns and cuts will take anything presented right and if not pop on any ant or lil beetle but if its august hoppers are great in any size...

If im using nymphs its always a beadhead.. unless im fishing like sibald creek or lil jumping pound with almost no current ill use beadless (scuds, prince nymphs, fly patterns with green and stone flys will work all year round lol in the fall brown and copper colors work great also)

If im using streamers or leech patterns or wollys now that depends what im fishing for colors matter to fish like cuttys love orange or redish things for some reason while browns love black or brown wollys and well bulls love streamers

I spent my childhood to late 20s fly fishing salman and trout running up and down the rivers chassing em up waterfalls and 1000s of feet downriver getting soaked!! Im still waiting to find fishing like that out here, i find the warmer the water the more active in the fight you get

Last edited by Jcpenny; 08-14-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM

March to June is prime time on the lake's we fish. During a cold year early July can be alright but once the water is getting to be over 18-19 degrees it's time to stop fishing. It's not that fish are hard to catch, it's just not good for the fish. The oxygen gets much lower and temperatures over 20 degrees really stress the trout. Recovery of fish at higher temperatures is difficult and fish will often perish if they sink to bottom (no oxygen down there). Fishing picks up again in September (depending on the year) and can be great until freeze up or closure.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpenny View Post
For stocked trout ponds i find it best the days before every long weekend till about 2 weeks after the long weekend (they stock before each long weekend lol) but in the rivers i catch 10 to 45 per day (in a 3 hour fishing trip) and i fish 4 or 5 times a week and this is all within a hour of calgary brooks, browns, cuttys, bows and bulls and the odd laker in the river
So let's get this straight... you fish 4-5 days/week and only catch 40-225 trout/week....and all within an hour of CGY no less??

....amateur.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:51 AM

Was out last night again kananaskis.. Whites where hitting on a green scud #20 or #18 or better yet lil bit of green whool fluffed to a small ball, browns where hitting on ants and adams for drys, but best hits where on the #10 bh princes, 2x bh stoneflys #10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0451.jpg (20.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0439.jpg (50.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0449.jpg (23.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0448.jpg (23.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0434.jpg (63.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
So let's get this straight... you fish 4-5 days/week and only catch 40-225 trout/week....and all within an hour of CGY no less??

...amateur.
heheh

Honestly i just love fishing since i was 8 running the streams in ontario, dam 36 now.....

But yah i dont fish to local (water stinks) and when im on the river or with friend, i never see a sole just bears but i love the scenery and it brings me to a better place (gods country)

Last edited by Jcpenny; 08-15-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Was out last night again kananaskis.. Whites where hitting on a green scud #20 or #18 or better yet lil bit of green whool fluffed to a small ball, browns where hitting on ants and adams for drys, but best hits where on the #10 bh princes, 2x bh stoneflys #10
Looks fun, heard you could catch rockies on bh princes too
Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Another nymph....

Spin'n'Fly:

Another good nymph for rockies is the "Bitch Creek" nymph.

Course, one way to catch them traditionally is to use a u-shaped wire cut from a coat hanger and hang a dropper off the main line -often a leadwing or royal coachmen wet fly - tipped with a maggot (where legal).

Have fun.

Smitty
Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM

summer can be good but i love fall!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I love your waders! Reminds me of when i was a kid and my father used to take me up and down the creeks in the Swan Hills country. He always wore waders and more often than not had wet feet because he couldn't patch the leaks fast enough. ****ed him off more than not catching fish. I always wore my oldest pair of runners. they were always wet but it's not as bad as walking in wet waders.

Our last fishing trip was just before he passed away in '88, I was 34 by then, and his waders leaked again!