Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Red Deer archery shop?

Thinking about getting into archery again. I know there are 2 that I know of that have lanes where you can shoot. Does anyone know what brand of bows they sell and are there prices competitive with the larger city archery shops? I like to shop local when I can and I would imagine they would be more helpful to you if you bought your gear from them. I would think there will be good and bad stories about both shops.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM

I do not shoot there but have been there a bit checking things out. They are pretty good I think their prices are as good as anywhere else. I believe they sell mostly Mathews, bowtech and elite bows. I bought a bow tech, but the elite felt so good in the hand there not as popular but you should at least try one to see how they feel and compair.The only thing is the last time I was there it was cash only I don't know if this has changed.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Pat can order you anything you want at the Red Deer Archery Centre.
I dont recomend getting your bow touched by Wolverine. I have personally seen 2 bows that have had brand new strings ruined by them putting a peep in. I have also seen rests set up wrong, not even close to having a level arrow at full draw. For such a small store the customer service is god awful. Not the most knowledgeable staff.

Pat gives you personalized service, knows bows inside and out and is great to deal with. Ive never had a problem when I go in there.

You can shoot up to 38 yards at the archery centre as well. 20 yards max at wolverine.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 AM

Where is this archery shop?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Its beside costco is gasoline alley
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM

The Red Deer archery centre is in the old Alsports Replay building on the west side of downtown.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Its beside costco is gasoline alley
That's Wolverine Guns and Tackle. Prices are pretty much the same as bigger cities. They carry Hoyt, Matthews, and APA I know for sure, and a couple other brands that I can't remember. Irma and Chris at bow counter are very helpful, the young blonde girl competes at a national level, a couple young guys there, well, ask for someone else.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM

okay i am looking to buy a bow in red deer and well i understand that there are good and bad from both but i was wondering if i should buy a bow for cheaper from red deer archery center but with not as good of sevice or if i should spend 50$ more at wolverine but have great service as long as i get the good staff members????
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Trust me bud you want to buy from Red Deer Archery. I don't know who you were talking to that said RDA has poor service but they are wrong. Pat will treat you right.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM

Default Red deer archery

Well if u want good service and good products go see pat if u want crap service and a bunch of dummies working on your stuff go to wolverine. Only good thing about wolverine is they have lots of bows so go there look and then go see pat to buy and she knows everything about bows and I just heard she won the canadain nationals, any one says they know what they are doing at wolverine has no clue them self, u can't fix stupid lol
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
any one says they know what they are doing at wolverine has no clue them self, u can't fix stupid lol
And that's just your opinion. Doesn't mean that its like that for everyone.

I have found the folks at Wolverine to quite friendly and helpful. I have only talked to Pat a couple of times, and have never bought anything there so I cannot comment on the service there.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM

Wolverine has been great to me! Starting out as a total newb a few months ago I went to wolverine to get some arrows and a release with no clue what to get. She got me all set up and tuned up my bow to fit me a bit better. Gave me some good pointers and what not for my first few shots then helped me get it sighted in a bit plus replaced some bad serving all free of charge. I have no complaints. I've herd a lot about pat at Rda but I find there hours are pretty crappy and they were closed for a week or two when I was looking for stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Well if u want good service and good products go see pat if u want crap service and a bunch of dummies working on your stuff go to wolverine. Only good thing about wolverine is they have lots of bows so go there look and then go see pat to buy and she knows everything about bows and I just heard she won the canadain nationals, any one says they know what they are doing at wolverine has no clue them self, u can't fix stupid lol
Pretty sure this guys the stupid one. But like he says you can't fix that.. Lol
Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 PM

I took a bow in trade a while ago and took it into Wolverine for a checkup and to ask for advice....granted it was a young guy, it wasn't Irma or Chris, nor was it a young girl (probably should give his name, but won't)...he inspected my bow and said everything looked good, which made me thankful. He had me draw it and adjusted the draw length, and tolerated all my questions about shooting and maintenance. BUUUUUTTTT, when I had him install a fall away rest, he burnt my string (which he just finished confirming how good it was) VERY noticeably and turned to me and said "you might want to replace this string as well, it's pretty bad" I called him on it, and he wouldn't outright admit it, but we both knew just by how obvious it was and as I told him "you can easily see the damage to the string which was not there when i brought it in, and since it was so obvious, there is no way anyone wouldn't notice it or say everything looked good" Now I am a pretty tolerant guy, but don't tell me how good everything is, then show me frayed burnt strings on both sides of where you just connected and burnt the end string you connected, and be so grossly and painfully obvious dishonest. When everything was said and done he offered to not charge me for his labor to install the new string (which cost me $96) lol. I should have, as many of the guys I have told, should not have paid for the string, but I did, I have a new string now, but still don't think too highly of people like that and does reflect poorly on the store.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnn131 View Post
okay i am looking to buy a bow in red deer and well i understand that there are good and bad from both but i was wondering if i should buy a bow for cheaper from red deer archery center but with not as good of sevice or if i should spend 50$ more at wolverine but have great service as long as i get the good staff members????
Good service,whatever! That's why all Wolverines' customers come to Red Deer Archery to fix what they screwed up! Trust me it is frustrating, can't even have the time I need to set up my own hunting setup now that 3D season is winding down. Come on in to the shop and we will take care of you but be patient because we have lots of archers most days looking for new strings/tuning problems/arrow fletching,cutting/ paper tuning & and tons of Whisker Biscuits that have to be changed out! We are swamped most days but we want everyone to be satisfied so alittle patience will go long way. Be nice if most would look at their bows more months before season then all would be better IMO. Thxs
Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.fish View Post
Wolverine has been great to me! Starting out as a total newb a few months ago I went to wolverine to get some arrows and a release with no clue what to get. She got me all set up and tuned up my bow to fit me a bit better. Gave me some good pointers and what not for my first few shots then helped me get it sighted in a bit plus replaced some bad serving all free of charge. I have no complaints. I've herd a lot about pat at Rda but I find there hours are pretty crappy and they were closed for a week or two when I was looking for stuff

Yeah she was in New Brunswick, Can. winning a GOLD medal at Canadian National 3d Archery Championships! Excuse if can't have a life, sure most people take vacations during summer months. We are lucky here in Red Deer that she decided to keep shop open after her husband John passed away 2 yrs back!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I would go to pat too, Better service.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
I would go to pat too, Better service.
Oh, I plan to check out both businesses when I buy a new traditional bow. The last time I was at RDA they didn't have any trad bows, so I didn't hang around for long.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Pat has always been great to me and my family. She even lent my daughter a bow for a season when we switched her from rh to lh. As for her service, always top notch in my books. She goes out of her way to make sure you are comfortable with what you have gotten. Her prices have always been lower than even the box stores from my shopping around. As a junior coach with the CAAA, I always know the bows she has sold will be perfectly set up. I can tell you that I have seen lots of bows from other places for jrs that are either way to big for the kids or poorly set up. In my experience, if Irma is at Wolverine then you get knowledgeable service, I have witnessed some of the advice people get when she isn't and have had to walk out to keep from trying to set them straight. AS for the little blond girl there, I think Kira is going to school in Calgary. Try both places but I think your best bet is Red Deer Archery Center.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Oh, I plan to check out both businesses when I buy a new traditional bow. The last time I was at RDA they didn't have any trad bows, so I didn't hang around for long.
Pat has a few in stock now. The demand seems to be going up. As said before she can order most brands for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo Assasin View Post
Pat has a few in stock now. The demand seems to be going up. As said before she can order most brands for you.
Cool.

I will definitely check them out come next pay day.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Pat has always been great. I have known Pat for quite a while now and have had many dealings with her over the years and I can honestly say she has treated me very good for these years. Everyone has a opinion on everything but as far as wolverine its a great store but lacks in the Archery Department. I would not get them to even glue on my Vanes on my arrow shafts. I had them fletch my arrows and glue the inserts in for the MOAS this last spring and half of my arrows lost there vanes and the other half left my inserts in the targets. I had 18 arrows done and when I was done I had 4 arrows left I could shoot. I actually shot one arrow with no field point in it cause it stayed In the last target I shot and I never noticed. I only blame my self for that but wow!!! I do like there Hooter Shooter though.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitexlr View Post
Good service,whatever! That's why all Wolverines' customers come to Red Deer Archery to fix what they screwed up! Trust me it is frustrating, can't even have the time I need to set up my own hunting setup now that 3D season is winding down. Come on in to the shop and we will take care of you but be patient because we have lots of archers most days looking for new strings/tuning problems/arrow fletching,cutting/ paper tuning & and tons of Whisker Biscuits that have to be changed out! We are swamped most days but we want everyone to be satisfied so alittle patience will go long way. Be nice if most would look at their bows more months before season then all would be better IMO. Thxs
Yes, they do have good service. Great actually.

All of Wolverine's customers come to RDA? Really? Sound like BS to me.

From the reading your post, it appears that you work at RDA. If that is so, perhaps you would be better off not bashing your competition, at least not online. It doesn't make you look skilled or professional, but haughty and arrogant. Not something I look for when deciding which company to buy from. If this is the kind of service you offer, the attitude you offer people, then I may just take my business elsewhere.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Yes, they do have good service. Great actually.

All of Wolverine's customers come to RDA? Really? Sound like BS to me.

From the reading your post, it appears that you work at RDA. If that is so, perhaps you would be better off not bashing your competition, at least not online. It doesn't make you look skilled or professional, but haughty and arrogant. Not something I look for when deciding which company to buy from. If this is the kind of service you offer, the attitude you offer people, then I may just take my business elsewhere.
No don't work there, just help out the owner & the archery club. My time is (FREE) and just want to help fellow archers when I can. Just have seen a lot of bows setup incorrectly and the customers 7 times out of 10 say they took it to [ that other shop] to be worked on. True awesome store for hunting supplies,inventory huge,gun selection one of best around but besides Irma at Archery department, lacking in technical staff! Thought this Forum was suppose to give users good helpful information. Not trying to bash anyone, archery department just needs work. Red Deer shop has been bashed for years, WOMAN running store,how could she know anything about bows, right? As good as or better than a lot I know! Loyal customers keep coming back and refer all their friends there, MUST be doing something right. Thank you loyal customers!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Rdac

well said and yes that other shop sure needs help in that department i feel sorry for the new bee;s that get brain washed over there like JR
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Thumbs down archery shops in Red Deer

Was just in Wolverine yesterday, I needed a pair of UA pants they told me they were all boxed up. I knew exactly what I needed (style and size) and asked if they could get them for me. They told me to come back tomorrow. I explained that I was leaving town and needed them to go Elk hunting the next day. They still wouldn't help me out even though there was only me and one other person in the store with 3 staff workers.Needless to say I will never spend a cent in that store and will not recomend them to anyone.This will be the one and only time I go there
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.fish View Post

Dunno. Id Have to agree that wolverines service has been and is crap. Ive tried over and over to buy there. Just never works out. I used to not like shopping at the sportsmens den either. But now that I understand Dale I have found him to be very honest and open about his products and pricing and service. He has been very helpful to me. Unlike wolverine where I ordered a couple guns. Paid more for them than I would have at cabelas... But I was trying to buy local. Waited 4 months for guns. Nada. Hunting season was about to open. I went in and cancelled order. Got a refund, but had to spend $100.00 of the refund for each gun in store. I thought that was bs because they could not provide the firearm in a reasonable amount of time and at that point they had no idea if and when they were going to get it. They should have just refunded my money and said sorry they couldnt get the guns. Not say here you go but you gotta sped $200.00 of the refund in store. A wolverine fan I am not
Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Trust me bud you want to buy from Red Deer Archery. I don't know who you were talking to that said RDA has poor service but they are wrong. Pat will treat you right.
X2,They are very knowlegeable and very reasonable in thier priceing
I bought arrows there cheaper than I could from US.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Is Red deer archery center still open?
If so, could someone please provide address or phone number?
Thinking a new bow for xmas might be in order!
Thanks and sorry for reviving such an old thread
Old 12-21-2014, 10:07 PM

5237 54 Ave, Red Deer, AB T4N 5K5
(403) 343-1153

It is the old replay sports beside the prarie bus line in behind the alpha plant. They are still open and business hours are wed to sat 12-6 and open till 8 on thurs. Right now selection is a bit thin as she is waiting on orders to arrive but can order you most bows in a timely manner.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Red deer archery Forsure!! Tried dealing with wolverine to get my bow restrung, they looked at my bow said I needed custom strings.. We couldn't find the string and cable lengths so the guy at the counter told me to find out what strin lengths I needed.. Seemed weird as I was right at the shop with bow in hand.. The guy took down my name and number and I got one phone call about a month later to see if I still wanted them to re string my bow.. The fact that the guy didn't seem to care and wasn't very willing to be helpful made decide against taking my bow back there. Next stop was red deer archery! This lady looked at my bow gave me the nod of approval. She told me to go shop or w.e while she got everything figured.. 45 mins later she phoned had everything figured and the only question left that she had was my string color choice. She ordered my string up and as soon as it came she had it restrung and ready to go! I was very pleased and do all my archery business there when I'm in red deer