Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Question Buffalo Bore - Stuck Case

Okay, so I finally got my new hunting loads for my .45-70 out to the range on the weekend to get my gun sighted in with them. They are a +P load made by Buffalo Bore and push a 350gr bullet at about 2100fps out of my stainless guide gun. The gun was purchased brand new last summer.

Issue: I shoot my first shot, go to open the lever and it wont open... the case is stuck. I swear. I swear again, but much louder this time. Then I really pull on the lever and it finally ejects the case. Needless to say this was the last round shot out of that gun for the day. I am not a reloader and don't really know much about these things, but is this a sign of too high of chamber pressure? Could there be some other issue? I know these loads are up there in terms of SAAMI specs, but my gun is listed as one of the ones that they are okay to shoot in and I was pretty pumped to use them for moose this fall. Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

On a happier note, I also got my new (bought last week) Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless in .243 Win out to the range and oh baby is it a "tack driver" as they say. I read that these guns were accurate and it is certainly true for this one. I also read up quite a bit on ammo and decided on an 85gr Sierra GameKing load that Federal makes... also had a good reputation for accuracy. Anyway, I am certainly looking forward to getting it out for some field work on gophers, etc. some time in the not too distant future and maybe some larger stuff come fall/winter.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

Yup wrong ammo for the gun.
Those type of velocities are designed around the Ruger #1 and Browning singles of modern construction.
Your lucky, that load probably produced close to 50,000CUP of pressure. Your Marlin was designed around 40,000CUP, might handle 43,000 in a pinch but 50,000 no bloody way.
Consider this one of those life lessons that could have been life changing(ending)

There are no absolutes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 PM

I checked my manuals the hottest load I could find that kept 40,000CUP with a 350 yeilded no more than 2000fps.
Most of the loads are in the 1900fps range.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM

I have to ask, how did you manage to get some Buffalo Bore ammo up here?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM

Dick: Thanks for the info. The strange thing is that these loads are specifically marketed and sold for use in my gun... the following is straight from their website: http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

"All .45-70 Magnum loadings are intended for use in the following firearms:
All Marlin Model 1895 variations made since 1972
Browning Model 1885 and 1886
New England Arms Handi-Rifle
Ruger #1 and #3
T/C Encore
Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps
New Production Winchester 1886"

And there are lots of people around in the States using these loads in their Marlin 1895's with nothing but great reviews... which is why I was so surprised when I had an issue. Guess I will call the company and see what is up. Again, thanks for the input. I figured this was a sure sign of too much pressure and was a little "rattled" when I figured out what the problem was.

Spartan: A friend was down in the states and swung by Cabelas to grab me a few boxes. I tried getting Cabelas (and about 5 other places) to ship them, but as retailers they face certain federal export restrictions and either can't (or b/c its such a pain in the arse to get whatever paper they need don't) ship such things to Canada... as I'm sure most guys on here know.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Just might be that for what ever reason your rifle wont handle the pressures in the relm of what those loads develope. All the more reason that if you want to up your 1895's perfomance you should do it yourself with handloads following sound and prudnet load development guidelines.
I'll PM you.

There are no absolutes