Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Range Report (7-08 LVSF)

Got my new LVSF in 7-08 to the range today for some playing. It was 38 degrees out, so I didnt shoot a pile as the barrel wasnt cooling off after a long wait. Didnt want to shoot it too much while it was hot.

Gun is a Rem 700 LVSF in 7-08. Sitting in a McMillan Classic (Light Fill) and topped with Talleys and a Leupy VXIII 3.5-10x40. Needs to be bedded still and have the trigger adjusted, but its still a dream to shoot.

Anyways, I bore sighted the scope by eye, and was within 1/2" low of the bullseye.....not bad. I shot my first group with Federal Premium 140NP's and shot a 6 shot group. Pretty good group except one damn flyer....

Shot a 4 shot group of Federal Premium 140AB and was not nearly as impressed. I think I'll be stickin with the NP, which is the bullet I enjoy anyways.

Handloads will be coming, this rifle is beggin for some 120 and 140 TSX in the future....but probably not until the fall as I still dont have my bench setup the way I want it and am not ready to do any reloading quite yet. I miss sitting in the evening and reloading though, so I guess I'd better go get the bench ready.....

Cant say I was too dissapointed in the rifle. This is the first time I've ever shot groups out of it. Only has 38 rounds through the tube...so just getting broke in still. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the results for factory ammo and this rifle......
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Uh oh, looks like someones warming up for DV in August.
Try putting the rifle in your truck cab with the AC going flat out to cool the barrel down a bit quicker.
Just let it kind of come back to ambient before shooting it.
Yup I'd consider the Partitions a viable hunting candidate.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM

I was considering the A/C thing for cooling off, except that I drove my older Jeep Cherokee today and the A/C is really weak....haha. So I was stuck just having fun.

Nothing amazing to report, but I'm happy the NP's shot the best as they were my first choice anyways.....lol
Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Looks like a group with the partitions to me...I would be very pleased with it.

BTW...nice scope rings
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

RM, looks like a good start! For cooling barrels in the summer, I pack water bottles, and with the muzzle pointed down give the barrel a good drenching.

Chuck
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
sheephunter

Look out bighorns!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Look out bighorns!
Thats kinda what I'm hopin.......
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Nice looking set-up.....I have been contemplating an 7-08 for a while now....just like a lot of the characteristics I have seen of it....never shot one though...but seems like it would be a great gun for the range and smaller game like sheep and antelope......Rack.....I am assuming since you have one....you would recommend.....
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 PM
-NDN-

sweet looking rig Trev. nice shooting to boot. Quite fond of the NP also
Old 07-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
Nice looking set-up.....I have been contemplating an 7-08 for a while now....just like a lot of the characteristics I have seen of it....never shot one though...but seems like it would be a great gun for the range and smaller game like sheep and antelope......Rack.....I am assuming since you have one....you would recommend.....
I most definatly recommend the calibre to the right person. The 7-08 is a 'no frills' gun....it aint what it aint, so you cant buy it thinking that it will be a super-magnum or be a long-range hammer. Its just a nice shooting cartridge, low recoil, and does what most hunters need. A very practical gun that gets it done. Cant think of anything in Alberta that I wouldn't grab it for....
Old 07-24-2007, 02:53 PM

I love the .308 based cartridges. Exactly like you said it Rack, no frills, but they get the job done with very little recoil. I have a couple magnums, but my .308 gets the most range time and when it is shot out a .260 tube will be getting put on.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I most definatly recommend the calibre to the right person. The 7-08 is a 'no frills' gun....it aint what it aint, so you cant buy it thinking that it will be a super-magnum or be a long-range hammer. Its just a nice shooting cartridge, low recoil, and does what most hunters need. A very practical gun that gets it done. Cant think of anything in Alberta that I wouldn't grab it for....
Rack....like you have put it, a nice shooting cartridge with low recoil is exactly what I am looking for.....I have magnums, so I am not looking for that....I would like something I can put a lot of rounds for practice purpose, with-out taking the physical punishment.....It also presents it self as a caliber that would be enjoyable to re-load for (not that there is one that isn't)..... I guess I should start picking a few of them up and trying them out for fit.....

Thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Yep.....also I'd suggest lookin at the 260.....if you're a handloader they are fun to load for and offer some good versatility there as well.......I like either......have fun on your search man!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm beginning to love the short cartridges. Fun to shoot and shoot lots, can handle any game I need them too. In the last year or so I've added a couple 7-08's A tikka and a Kimber, a rem 700 in 243 and my .260 Rem model 700 is getting a new barrel in the same cal, it's the culprit that started the short case love affair for me. This year I think the magnums, 270's and 30-06's etc. will feel ignored.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 PM

I'm becoming a believer in the .308 family of cartridges. I have been shooting my first .308 Win quite a bit lately, and I am really, really impressed ! I think a .260 would be fun and the 7-08 is most excellent (7mm's rule!).

Those NP look promising and expect those groups to tighten up once the barrel is fully broken-in. Ya gotta love them Noslers boolits!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM

Hey rack,

I noticed from this post and others....that you are a fan of the McMillan Stocks...What are the advantages of these after market stocks, and what do you like about the McMillans over others? I have never thought of switching stocks, but that set-up of your sure looks good!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
Hey rack,

I noticed from this post and others....that you are a fan of the McMillan Stocks...What are the advantages of these after market stocks, and what do you like about the McMillans over others? I have never thought of switching stocks, but that set-up of your sure looks good!
I simply like the fit, the finish, the durability, the feel, etc of the stocks by McMillan. After owning an aftermarket stock, I cant really go back to a factory synthetic. The McMillans come in so many different styles and can suit so many needs. They are built tough, built to look good, custom made to what you want, and very stiff. The stiffness alone makes them worth it. My gun hasnt been pillar bedded or bedded yet, but its way more stiff than any factory synthetic stock right now as is. Toss in a pillar bedding job and it should be solid as a rock. I also found my accuracy improved a bit with the McMillan, and it was more comfrotable to shoot....

I've owned a Wildcat Composites (Corlanes Sports has em), Bansner, and the McMillan. I like all three, and havent decided YET if McMillan sits on the top yet.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Hmmm, might be somethingto try.....where do you get your mcmillans from? and how about do you get one fit.....do they need the rifle?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM

From 24hourcampfire.com is where I ordered mine......they have about a 20-22 week waiting period right now.

For fit, they can fit any factory rifle and you just enter in the specs on it, and can fit custom tubes, etc if you give them the specs. They come from the factory and fits perfectly, unlike other aftermarket stocks. Bedding, etc can be done easily afterwards....
Old 07-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the info...I'm going to look into it.....are the pretty pricey???
Old 07-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Yep....they are. Definatly not cheap at all.....but I think they are worth the investment if you're building a custom gun of some sort.....
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM

The other stock you may want to look at is the Rimrock Stocks...I have heard nothing but good things about them and I would try them in the future if I end up in the market for one.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
The other stock you may want to look at is the Rimrock Stocks...I have heard nothing but good things about them and I would try them in the future if I end up in the market for one.
Yep...heard lots of good things about Rimrock as well. And I had no complaints at all with my Wildcat Composites either.....plus its a Canadian company