Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 01:33 AM

Default scary night at hockey !!!!

Just got home from the hospital !! My son who plays bantam blew a wheel and went crashing into the boards. He laid on the ice for a bit and got himself up and made it to the bench visibly injured. I thought he blew a shoulder. He went straight to the dressing room. The trainer and a assistant coach were with him. I went to the dressing room and knew the instant I saw him we were hospital bound. He has a concussion and is done for the year. I just want to give a huge shout out to the stony plain hospital. They absolutely made my son a priority.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 AM

Hope he has a quick recovery! Concussions suck.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Proper recovery is critical, don't rush anything, lots of hockey left for the young fella.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM

X2 on concussion's sucking.

Ended the Pit Boss' minor hockey days 3/4 of the way through year one of Midget.

Follow the protocols and manage the injury properly.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Best wises for a speedy recovery. I got a concussion from playing slow pitch of all things, and they are not fun.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 AM

I had to carry a kid from my son's Atom team off the ice a number of years ago. Went down along the boards from some contact and broke the growth plate in his ankle. It took him a year, but he got back playing again and moved on to a pretty high level. Was actually on the last Kraft Hockeyville out by Vernon!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM

My son got knocked out last year in hockey, he was down on the ice and didn't move until the coach was there for a minute or two. We took him to our local hospital and the doctor told him he was a wimp. We should have called an ambulance and never let him move on his own until the ambulance got there. Still have visions of him hitting the ice.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 AM

I received my 8th concussion in my first year of junior....and it ended me. To this day I have symptoms and I'm 34. Concussions are evil
Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Friends kids who played had concussions. Nasty stuff. As mentioned, do what the docs say as far as recovery goes. Going back early ended a couple kids hockey fun. Hope your boy recovers quickly and with no lasting effects.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 PM

so many bad stories. one of the reasons I'm steering my young kids away from ice hockey. Glad to hear your son is ok (all things considered) hope he has a speedy recovery!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM

most of the injuries my 50 year old body have right now are directly related to hockey/skating to which i also enjoyed playing too.
not trying to be a contrarian but im kind of against hockey and kids but on the other hand why not let them play . all children will eventually get hurt someday, but scars are cool, lower back pain is not.
hope the little dude is ok.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 PM

I got a bad concussion from mountain biking, I don't remember a thing, and for the next few years I kept getting minor concussions in hockey and football. Then one hockey game I took a low hit in the thighs and the whiplash caused me to have another decent one. Had Bambi legs trying to get to the bench. Somehow I got a holding penalty... still question that call lol.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
I received my 8th concussion in my first year of junior....and it ended me. To this day I have symptoms and I'm 34. Concussions are evil
Pretty much in the same boat except 12 concussions and 3 weren't sports related but bad luck. I still have trouble talking if I am fatigued and weekly headaches.

To OP just make sure the boy has lots of time to recover and don't let him push it.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Just a little update. My son has just been hiding out in the basement relaxing. Lots of rest no electronics or phone. I let him put the TV on but it's just for background noise. No school for atleast a week. I deal with post concussion syndrome from hockey and a real bad car wreck. He is grumpy as hell and his head is still pounding and he is pretty sore from the impact with the boards. I really understand about following the protocols and they will be followed before he returns to hockey. Thanks guys for the well wishes for my son.