Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM

Default Ghost Lakes/Hoodoo Hall

I was hoping to backpack in to the ghost lakes on the east side of Lake Minnewanka. Probably from the east side on the FTR. I was thinking of camping at the first or second ghost lake and day trip the hoodoo halls. I was wondering a few things.

Is random back country camping allowed? Or is there designated back country camping areas at the ghost lakes? I'd like to stay away from the ATV crowd pulling a 12' aluminum boat full of beer.

What's the story with open fires? I read they are not allowed, but are tolerated...soooo...is that a yes or a no?

The other question is where can someone find a detailed guide or map of the area? I hear that path-finding (especially the hoodoo halls) can be difficult.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM

I just google mapped it and it shows it's in Banff National Park. You cannot open camp/fire there that I know of, but maybe Banff NP issues permits. Not sure. Best call National Parks rather than take someone's word for it on AO. There's more contrary opinions on this site than Facebook at times...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.2653793,-115.2301637,12z
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM

You'll need a back country NP permit as you will be in the park and there are seasonal restrictions on the number of people etc required in a group.

Depending what time of year you go in - the first 2 lakes will be bone dry. I don't think there are any designated back country campsites from the east until you hit the narrows at Minnewanka.

You might see the odd motorized tinny or inflatable beach at the east end on Minnewanka to have a beer - but few of then will bother with walking to the first Ghost lake.

You'll have more issues with the piston heads at the east park boundary.

It's not a great place to park a vehicle for a few days either. You might come back to find it shot up, vandalized or broken into if you leave it on a weekend in a public area. Get friendly with the Rediscovery people if you want to arrange a safe place to park.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:11 PM

Hmm. Yeah the east side is the ghost PLUZ so I was hoping to avoid the whole national park crowd at Lake minnywanka, but the NP might be the best place to park and just hike in from the west. There is a few campsites along the lake that are nice and should be a little safer to leave camping equipment behind at during a day trip.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmore View Post
Hmm. Yeah the east side is the ghost PLUZ so I was hoping to avoid the whole national park crowd at Lake minnywanka, but the NP might be the best place to park and just hike in from the west. There is a few campsites along the lake that are nice and should be a little safer to leave camping equipment behind at during a day trip.
If you go May/June, you'll likely have any back country campsite to yourself once you get past the day hikers or campers that usually only go as far as Almyer Junction.

You may have a bit of MT bike traffic on the trail and a few boats on the lake during the daytime, but you'll have plenty of peace and quiet at night until you leave the park.