Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Default Gold

There is the old story of a troop of Mounties or army many years ago transporting gold near the forks north of Grassy Lake. They were attacked by Indians and buried the gold and then made a run for it. I do not know if any survived but apparently no one ever made it back to the site. Could be a myth or anything. Piker
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM

When I was a kid in the fifties I would sneak into the pool hall and listen to all the old timers talk about the lost lemon. There was a guy who lived in Coleman who was a contractor that spent his whole life looking for the mine. At various times he had employees helping him look. There is a valley on the north racehorse that the locals call Mike Checks (sp) cabin. That was one area where he spent years looking for gold. I used to listen to a guy called Vince Janestack (sp) who swore up and down he saw a native with a large chunck of gold in the Crowsnest Mountain area. Vince and his brother Steve ran a livery stable in the early days. They were one of the first ones after Edward Whympers Swiss guides to climb Crowsnest mountain in the thirties.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 PM

Smile Lost Lemon

Mike Czech and Vince Janostak from Coleman spent years of exploration time north of Coleman, galena deposits and elsewhere, looking for the Lost Lemon. Vince found excellent coal deposits in Vicary Creek which he sold to Coleman Collieries. This company ran 2 successive u/g coal mines there for years. Both those guys invested a lot of grubstake looking for that mine. At least Vince found some mineral to make him wealthy.

I have panned most creeks in the Pass and have not found a trace of gold.
It is mostly sedimentary rock in the Pass. West Canadian Collieries of Blairmore dug adits into the galena deposit in the NW branch of the Oldman. It was assayed and found to be too small a deposit to be mined profitably.The nearest real gold I found was on Wildhorse Creek and Lumberton, both very close to Cranbrook. It is in that area that Lemon and his partner must have founded the mine.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Mike Czech and Vince Janostak from Coleman spent years of exploration time north of Coleman, galena deposits and elsewhere, looking for the Lost Lemon. Vince found excellent coal deposits in Vicary Creek which he sold to Coleman Collieries. This company ran 2 successive u/g coal mines there for years. Both those guys invested a lot of grubstake looking for that mine. At least Vince found some mineral to make him wealthy.

I have panned most creeks in the Pass and have not found a trace of gold.
It is mostly sedimentary rock in the Pass. West Canadian Collieries of Blairmore dug adits into the galena deposit in the NW branch of the Oldman. It was assayed and found to be too small a deposit to be mined profitably.The nearest real gold I found was on Wildhorse Creek and Lumberton, both very close to Cranbrook. It is in that area that Lemon and his partner must have founded the mine.
When I was in grade nine in Coleman I wasn't doing so well in math. My buddy also was not doing so well so his dad hooked us up with Vince Janostack and that's who taught us about algerbra. Who would have thought that old Vince was a great math guy. Plus we had the benefit of listening to all his old prospecting stories. For us he was a good role model.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Lost lemon mine. With all the talk of gold prices and the gold rush Alaska show anybody ever look for it? Also on kootenay lake there is supposed to be a gold nugget that was large enough that it caused a small boat to sink.
LOST---LEMON I had 2 buddies that invested$$ LOST-------------LEMON
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 PM

Smile Nahanni has gold

The black sand in the Nahanni has gold. It will be hard to get as most of it is a park.

When you pick up a hand full of the sand bar you can see the gold in your hands.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 PM

Default gold Gold GOLD! Ha Ha Ha

In Alberta, searching/panning for gold is a hobby. Don't expect to find your fortune. Hubby's hobby is panning, mine is fishing. He likes to tease me that he gets to take all his home, when I have to release some of mine.

Anything that gets you outdoors that you enjoy is good for you. If you want to learn about panning and the history of the gold in the NSR, contact my hubby at albertagold@shaw.ca.

cgs

"If you can't be kind, be silent." Anon.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:00 PM

I have found flour on one of the bends in Terwillegar off leash area. One of our neighbors in the 80s used to pan in Alberta. He made enough every summer to buy his kids Christmas presents for eighteen years. I can't remember where he used to go, but he would pack up his camper and would be gone from June until August.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Fine to look for the Lost Lemon mine as long as you don't believe in curses. I won't look for it based on that. I guess a few guys who gone looking for it have died because they got to close. At least that's how the legend goes...
Old 12-27-2015, 03:59 PM

Prospector's Point anyone. Bedrock Supply in Edmonton sells sells all the goodies.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Think the odds are better, buying a Lotto Max ticket.

Grizz
Old 12-28-2015, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I know a guy who knows a guy who made his living getting gold off of a tributary of the old man during the dirty thirties. he swears it is gospel. If it wasn't for all the grizzlies protecting the area I would go get it.
Soo, the grizzly bears are protecting it eh? Are they part of the curse?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Banned

I see people panning and slucing for gold quite often on the NSR.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 AM

I have done fair amount of prospecting in BC/NWT and even look at Crowsnest area. I took some geology when at U of A. The rock in Crowsnest is not right for a gold deposit, great if you are looking for coal. Go to the Yukon if you want gold to BC if you want silver. Cominco was not in Trail BC for their health.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Did Lemon and Blackjack actually find gold in Alberta. Geologists will tell you that the chances of the story being true are remote. Gold deposits are generally associated with volcanic activity, which is why BC is filled with gold while Alberta is not. Did Lemon and Blackfoot steal the gold from other miners? Did they have any gold at all?

Lemon went insane after he killed his partner with an axe, its unlikely there was ever any gold.

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/alb...st-lemon-mine/
Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 AM

volcanos produce gold google that and you come up sw of calgary
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Default gold?

google volcano your search comes up west of turner valley on the sheep river lots of black sand have not checked since the flood
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Did Lemon and Blackjack actually find gold in Alberta. Geologists will tell you that the chances of the story being true are remote. Gold deposits are generally associated with volcanic activity, which is why BC is filled with gold while Alberta is not. Did Lemon and Blackfoot steal the gold from other miners? Did they have any gold at all?

Lemon went insane after he killed his partner with an axe, its unlikely there was ever any gold.

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/alb...st-lemon-mine/
Alberta's gold is yet to be determined. Alberta has never been fully properly prospected. Presently Alberta produces about 70 kg. (2250 ounces) of gold per year. I know it's not like BC's production but there is gold to be had in Alberta.

This old article is really interesting to read. If you go to page 32 there is an article talking about the dredging companies that were here at the turn of the 20th century. They were making wages.

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=328559
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-28-2015, 10:29 AM

heard they are finding gold at Morley on the res. since the flood
Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 AM

nsr?

Last edited by philty; 12-28-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2015, 10:52 AM

north sask river
Old 12-30-2015, 12:19 AM

Default Lost Lemon Mine

This is a great post. I needed a good chuckle.

As of yet, the lemon mine has not been found.

One month ago, my friend was approached by a group who, using new ground penetrating radar, wanted to go looking for the mine. They invited my friend along to consult. My friend of course, turned the offer down.

My friend, Ron Stewart, is the author of the book, "The Lost Lemon Mine". He is also a geologist and has been involved in the mining industry for decades.

In his book, based on factual evidence, Ron offers several variations on the theory of the lost lemon mine and whether it actually exists. The one theory that seems most likely is, wait for it, blackjack and lemon were nothing more than thieves and murderers who were killing miners coming from the gold fields, for their gold.

The book is a good, easy read. I just finished my "signed copy" two weeks ago and it was quite illuminating.

And to those who believe in the lost lemon mine, good luck, good hunting and, come back safe .

cheers,
Carpediem4570
Old 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Lost lemon mine. With all the talk of gold prices and the gold rush Alaska show anybody ever look for it? Also on kootenay lake there is supposed to be a gold nugget that was large enough that it caused a small boat to sink.
Yup I use it to hold all my cash from blowing away..LOL
I suspect though that its not a mine per se, but rather it was a cache. Black Jacks story was too variable...

Last edited by Denadii Cho; 02-25-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM

Lost Lemon mine is still lost. Have found flour gold in the NSR, also in the Red Deer river, small but still there. Pan on the inside banks on the corners of the rivers seems to be the best to find some.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Apparently much easier to resurrect this post than the lost lemon mine.