Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Default i dunno about them Mathews......

Well I finally shot my Drenalin today... gee i dunno guys...

I'm by no means a pro, or an experienced archer. I'm quite a greenhorn. But this is the results of shooting my drenalin for the first time. Once i got it sited in, this is only one of many similar groups.

Dont ask WHY they're sideways.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141213_143228.jpg (44.0 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141213_143219.jpg (42.7 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by SonofDixie; 12-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:52 PM

I should also add that this was only at 20yards. Didn't have much time. But even at that distance, I'm quite happy with the performance of the bow. Everything functioned so smooth again and again. Even getting tired and shakey, the bow stayed true.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 PM

nice groups, I just sold a helim and that thing was smooooooth and accurate
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Someone can correct me if im wrong. Im not a compound guru. But in trad archery. Your arrows look like the spine is too stiff. Im sure a compound would also shoot an arrow similiar to a recurve if your arrow wasnt the proper spine or length.Also your rest may not be straight. Or a twisted cam.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Every bow up to the dxt was life changing. Dxt to the helium was highly regarded. Since the creed, all down hill, and a very steep hill at that. Nothing wrong with a drenalin. Great shooting.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Every bow up to the dxt was life changing. Dxt to the helium was highly regarded. Since the creed, all down hill, and a very steep hill at that. Nothing wrong with a drenalin. Great shooting.
This is very true. I never owned a dxt but came very close to buying one. Still not sure selling my helim was a good idea. That being said at least I didn't sell my helim to buy a creed.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post
Someone can correct me if im wrong. Im not a compound guru. But in trad archery. Your arrows look like the spine is too stiff. Im sure a compound would also shoot an arrow similiar to a recurve if your arrow wasnt the proper spine or length.Also your rest may not be straight. Or a twisted cam.

Haha yes my bow still has some fine tuning. My rest needs some adjusting. And the arrows came with the bow and the guy who had it before drew it heavier.

This was just a "thrown together " shoot. Just don't have the $$$ for more arrows. Lol.

But I'm curious, how could you tell? The arrows going at an angle?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:31 AM

The switch back and drenalin were some of the last good bows Mathews made. Back when they were on top.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Nice group. Be sure to give those arrows a good flex test.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Nice group. Be sure to give those arrows a good flex test.

Yes i have. Thanks! The i certainly didn't have the best back stop.... i actually ruined 2 arrows. went out and bought me a proper target after that. It ripped the insert out of 2 arrows and broke one off right at the insert.... lesson learned there.

In a flex test, what should i look for?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 AM

I more listen than look when I flex test. If I can hear like the arrow is cracking in a flex test it's tossed in the garbage. You can look for carbon flaking or almost slivers lifting compromising integrity.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Haha yes my bow still has some fine tuning. My rest needs some adjusting. And the arrows came with the bow and the guy who had it before drew it heavier.

This was just a "thrown together " shoot. Just don't have the $$$ for more arrows. Lol.

But I'm curious, how could you tell? The arrows going at an angle?
Yes the angle of your arrows. I assumed you would be shooting relatively straight at the target.

I figured from the posts name you were having a problem. But i guess you already knew your arrows would be shooting off
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post
Yes the angle of your arrows. I assumed you would be shooting relatively straight at the target.

I figured from the posts name you were having a problem. But i guess you already knew your arrows would be shooting off
Haha. My title was a little sarcastic. And I've been messing with the rest this afternoon and the arrows are going in perfectly straight into the new target. I'm wondering if it had to do with my backstop. Hitting the wood behind and twisting? Dunno.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Haha. My title was a little sarcastic. And I've been messing with the rest this afternoon and the arrows are going in perfectly straight into the new target. I'm wondering if it had to do with my backstop. Hitting the wood behind and twisting? Dunno.
:d Congrads on the new to you bow...the Dren was/is an outstanding bow...one of the best a lot of shooters still own and shoot them..the Dren would be in my top ten favorite bows ...

Arrow on that angle is just likely due to arrow fishtailing from either spine or rest adjustment...a little fine tuning will have them dead on...

Nice shooting...enjoy

Neil
Old 12-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Thanks guys.

This at 30yards. They're going in fairly straight but not straight enough. I'm wondering if it's the spine. Gonna try some 340s.

The arrows are 300, 29", and my bow is roughly 60-65 #. Haven't had it checked yet.

Stupid phone. Lol. Tilt the picture to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141214_151310.jpg (52.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

This at 30yards. They're going in fairly straight but not straight enough. I'm wondering if it's the spine. Gonna try some 340s.

The arrows are 300, 29", and my bow is roughly 60-65 #. Haven't had it checked yet.

Stupid phone. Lol. Tilt the picture to the right.

The .300's might read slightly Over spined for 60 ish lbs and 340's would be more suited..but a little tuning and the .300's could be tuned easier on over spined than under spined...

Neil
Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Just shoot an apa. They make awesome bows with lots of features. Dual cam, single cam take your pick.