Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Looking to get into target archery

Thinking about getting myself a target bow and get into target archery, any suggestions on bows to look at? Thinking of maybe one of the new Hoyt's or maybe even a carbon spyder
Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Hoyt pro edge. Check it out.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

APA has a big selection of outstanding target bows...

http://www.apaarchery.com/canada/bows

Neil
Old 12-06-2014, 10:51 AM

The pro edge is definatly a nice bow, been looking at the carbon spyder zt to. APA has some really nice bows to, decisions decisions lol
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 PM

I first off , what kind of target archery are you thinking about ,paper or 3D. Some paper you must use 60lbs or less, 3D there is lots of different categories , so as long as your 5 grains per pound, you should be fine. lots of rules in target archery. Just something to think about.
One more thing to think about is your going to be shooting a lot of arrows, so you don't want to set your bow draw weight to high, so you can hold steady , even on the last 30th arrow. Unless you shoot a lot and can handle it.
Speed only helps in unknown distances, like most 3D shoots . So a light fast arrow is what you want. helps for being off a yard or two.
Target bows don't need to be quite , or light, or short. just accurate . Heavy and long are more stable.
Most target guys are really in to it, so they buy new bows every year. So there are lots of good used bows out there for sale.
Good luck on your choice. I shoot a Hoyt Pro Edge.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM

If you're in Central Alberta, why don't you go to the archery shop in Red Deer that Central Alberta Archers run. They have a website and they have VERY knowledgeable people in the shop. They will be more than able to answer all your questions.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Not sure if you picked one up yet, haven't been on for a while so missed the post.

When i worked at a pro shop I use to advise and set up people with a few different types. You never know how it's going to feel when you draw it back and if you go for strictly brand name because buddy has one and loves it, it might actually feel like the total opposite and you won't want to shot it. At one point I tried out a $1400 Hoyt Carbon Element, set it up the same as my $300 Diamond Edge. Same poundage, draw etc.. and i wrecked my shoulder off two arrows. I wasn't use to the way it pulled back and I hated the way it felt. Awesome bow yes, wicked brand indeed but not for me. To this day I still shoot my Diamond, it's still in great shape for how much i have shot it although have been itching to try a few others that have caught my eye.

It's pretty awesome when you get going. I hope you found something that works great for you.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid View Post
Not sure if you picked one up yet, haven't been on for a while so missed the post.

When i worked at a pro shop I use to advise and set up people with a few different types. You never know how it's going to feel when you draw it back and if you go for strictly brand name because buddy has one and loves it, it might actually feel like the total opposite and you won't want to shot it. At one point I tried out a $1400 Hoyt Carbon Element, set it up the same as my $300 Diamond Edge. Same poundage, draw etc.. and i wrecked my shoulder off two arrows. I wasn't use to the way it pulled back and I hated the way it felt. Awesome bow yes, wicked brand indeed but not for me. To this day I still shoot my Diamond, it's still in great shape for how much i have shot it although have been itching to try a few others that have caught my eye.

It's pretty awesome when you get going. I hope you found something that works great for you.
to piggy back off this, would the Diamond Infinite edge be used for hunting as well or is it strictly a target bow?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
to piggy back off this, would the Diamond Infinite edge be used for hunting as well or is it strictly a target bow?
It's more an entry level hunting bow IMHO.

LC
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
It is an entry level agreed but I've had no reason to upgrade and works just fine. For hunting the Bears sold just as well as the Hoyt, Matthew & APA's. Target bows are usually pretty fancy looking. Check out the Mother Shoot in the spring if you haven't already. All sorts of make and models appear.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 PM

Really thinking of giving the APA mamba x7 and viper x7 a try, A few Hoyt's are tempting tho lol