Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Nordegg - Blackstone, North Ram, Bighorn

Anyone been up there recently? Thinking about doing a trip mid next week but was up there two weeks ago and it was blown out.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Hey there, just want to second that, anyone been up to Ram Falls lately?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Blackstone

I was fishing th Blackstone last weekend. Fish Sat for about 5 hrs. Only manage one Rocky. Not a single trout. See lots of May flies and stone flies hatching but didn't see a single rise so it was really weird for me I never got skunk on the Blackstone before. So move east to the nordegg river and did pretty good for bulls.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear you were skunked for trout on Blackstone. I am thinking of heading out there on Saturday.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Ram is good to go
Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Hey there, just want to second that, anyone been up to Ram Falls lately?
Just fished the falls today lots of nice cutthroats water was crystal clear
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Well, I was out on the Blackstone and Bighorn all last week. Blackstone was very frustrating. Fished upstream of the blue bridge to the road crossing and about and about 2 miles downstream. My wife caught a small bull and that was all. Some good water and bug activity but no sign of fish.... Not a single rise. Fished a day on the Bighorn upstream of the falls and same deal. The water was a bit fast and silty with about 2' of visibility.

This is somewhat concerning me. The Blackstone has always been good to me.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Fished Big Horn on weekend, managed two cutts on stimulators but that was it
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Fished the Blackstone as well and had a great day, was a little worried driving out as the smoke was really bad around Nordegg but cleared up once we headed north on the trunk road. Probably a dozen Cutt’s each, one Bull and one Rocky. Caught more fish sub-surface than on dry’s.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info regarding the type of flies to use on the Blackstone. Heading there tomorrow. Hopefully have some luck, been skunked the last 2 times out.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooch View Post
Well, I was out on the Blackstone and Bighorn all last week. Blackstone was very frustrating. Fished upstream of the blue bridge to the road crossing and about and about 2 miles downstream. My wife caught a small bull and that was all. Some good water and bug activity but no sign of fish.... Not a single rise. Fished a day on the Bighorn upstream of the falls and same deal. The water was a bit fast and silty with about 2' of visibility.

This is somewhat concerning me. The Blackstone has always been good to me.
the Flooding last year was really hard on the Blackstone, the numbers were wayyyy down, and fewer larger Cutts present. I wasn't expecting much out of it this year. I had some decent days last fall, but overall disapointing compared to previous years. I Hven't Fished it yet this year, i dont bother untill Mid to Late July.. heading up for a week on the 27th. I have fished this river since the early 90's.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Update from this weekend from coworker... Rained on and off, water clarity was good and water levels were optimal, fishing was slow and nothing of any significant size ( 10 fish between 3 guys all weekend). Serval hatches with No surface activity. Quality of information, these guys fish this river ever since the 80's...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Fished Blackstone on monday for 1.5 hrs (2 kids with me or i would haved stayed longer) water clarity was good managed two 10 inch bulls on a nymph. Nothing was rising.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Fished Blackstone on monday for 1.5 hrs (2 kids with me or i would haved stayed longer) water clarity was good managed two 10 inch bulls on a nymph. Nothing was rising.
Curious when you guys are quoting what the action is like. What sections are you talking about? Ie we go up from the campground, down from the oil road bridge when you go upstream from the campground and take the fork left and then when you go further upstream when you take the fork right. We were going to go up and tryire upstream since we have never gone up there next week?

Just curious.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 PM

I was up at Blackstone this weekend, caught about a dozen cutties, and lost a bunch more. So the action was pretty good. Also caught a RMWF, but no bulls. There was a good hatch going off, it was a light beige mayfly, not sure of the name though.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM

Hit the Blackstone on Sunday. 4 of us covered about 6 miles of the river in spots from the bridge at the campground , up at the bridge that is closed for a few miles up and then up again a few miles even father up stream about 5 miles.

Two of us got small four small bulls on a tranchula, Two, got 3 cutties on a red nymph.

Water was great temp, flow was nice and very clear. Air temp was warm, bugs in the air. Not one natural rise. Lots of fly choices used....
Talked to a couple who were camping even further up stream and they were skunked...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 PM

My dad and I will be going in the area for a few days this weekend. It'll be our first time there, so I hope all goes well
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM

river was great august long grey wulf was the killer two weeks ago,, small drys had a blast need to get back there the end of the season
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM

Was at the Blackstone about 2 weeks ago. Went out two times. First time managed to get 3 fish in about an hour on a parachute adams. The second time went out two days later and caught 14 fish. Mostly RMWF (9) and (4) cutts over a span of about 4 hours. Used a hopper dropper method, again a parachute adams on top and a prince nymph below. Crazy what a difference of two days will do. Fished the exact same stretch too.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Sorry fat fingers.....13 Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilverj76 View Post
Was at the Blackstone about 2 weeks ago. Went out two times. First time managed to get 3 fish in about an hour on a parachute adams. The second time went out two days later and caught 14 fish. Mostly RMWF (9) and (4) cutts over a span of about 4 hours. Used a hopper dropper method, again a parachute adams on top and a prince nymph below. Crazy what a difference of two days will do. Fished the exact same stretch too.