Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Question Ooops... I have black stains in my sink!!

So, we have a periodically sluggish kitchen sink drain that we try to maintain by pouring boiling water into regularly. It still was slow after that, today, so I poured the last bit of a very heavy pink drain cleaner (from Home Hardware) into the drain forgetting there was still hot water in the trap... Good thing I was far enough away, haha! Whoosh! Black crap boiled out and some steam.... I left it to work for five minutes and then ran cold water for another five. I tried using some abrasive cleaner and a scrubby but...looks quite discolored.

Any suggestions for what I can try?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-18-2018, 12:50 PM

It's time to dismantle the drain & trap, and give it a; Right-Good Cleaning!!!

Selkirk
Old 03-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
It's time to dismantle the drain & trap, and give it a; Right-Good Cleaning!!!

Selkirk
We did that recently. And have done it a few times! Whoever did the plumbing in this fancy hired hand's house designed some odd drain setup under the sink, and it has caused problems since we moved in in 2010. The laundry sink is even worse; we shut the water off to that one so we don't use it by mistake!
No sense telling Mr. Boss again...he won't spend the money to get it fixed.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
We did that recently. And have done it a few times! Whoever did the plumbing in this fancy hired hand's house designed some odd drain setup under the sink, and it has caused problems since we moved in in 2010. The laundry sink is even worse; we shut the water off to that one so we don't use it by mistake!
No sense telling Mr. Boss again...he won't spend the money to get it fixed.
You'll be outta there soon, anywayz ... no?

Selkirk
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Mr. Clean pads...don't know how it does it but it's bloody magic at removing stains etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
You'll be outta there soon, anywayz ... no?

Selkirk
Yes, that is true....but I like to clean up my messes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Mr. Clean pads...don't know how it does it but it's bloody magic at removing stains etc.
I'll try that... I just happen to have some.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM

try a Majic eraser
Old 03-18-2018, 01:23 PM

100 then 200 grit wet sandpaper.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-18-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
try a Majic eraser
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.... didn't help. With my Barkeeper's Friend powder I was able to reduce it from black to medium gray. Sulfuric acid is the main ingredient in that drain cleaner, so if it is acid etching maybe that will never come off.
However, I am still hopeful!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Try apple cider vinegar and baking soda , make a paste and let it soak the stain for a bit, might help
Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 PM

I use Norwex on almost everything.

But-Etched is likely etched
Old 03-18-2018, 01:45 PM

I assume a stainless sink?

If so, see if you can get some welder's pickling gel.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM

wet sand with the finest stuff you can get.

then make sure it stays dry over night so the oxide layer can form again and maintain its stainless-ness
Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Must be an organic compound that stained.

Just curious. Magic eraser with sunlight detergent didn't work? Try liquid hand soup next.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Sorry for the bad news but you're likely hooped. I have product that will take "some" of the staining off but sulphuric and hydrochloric on stainless steel are poison.

You're very lucky you weren't standing over that sink when it bubbled up. Anyone that's updated their whmis training lately and watched the vids therein can verify. If you'd got a caustic involved in the process, especially beads. you could have been a whole world of hurt.

Always amazes me what people will do with chemicals without doing some background research first.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Must be an organic compound that stained.

Just curious. Magic eraser with sunlight detergent didn't work? Try liquid hand soup next.

No it's not. It's acid on soft metal. Liquid handsoap will accomplish nada.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Make a paste with dishwasher powder and let sit for awhile, .....always cleans stainless!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
No it's not. It's acid on soft metal. Liquid handsoap will accomplish nada.
When I changed our kitchen faucet blank gunk spilled out. Same cleaning worked for me.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When I changed our kitchen faucet blank gunk spilled out. Same cleaning worked for me.

Sure. That wasn't sulphuric acid caused burning.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sorry for the bad news but you're likely hooped. I have product that will take "some" of the staining off but sulphuric and hydrochloric on stainless steel are poison.

You're very lucky you weren't standing over that sink when it bubbled up. Anyone that's updated their whmis training lately and watched the vids therein can verify. If you'd got a caustic involved in the process, especially beads. you could have been a whole world of hurt.

Always amazes me what people will do with chemicals without doing some background research first.
If I hadn't forgotten the hot water still sitting in the trap, I don't think it would have done that. Cold water only for flushing it afterwards. I have used this product many times but never into a sink I had just poured a bunch of hot water into...and I always stand back anyway!!

Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Any other remedies for sink drain maintenance? I am very careful now not to have any cooking grease go down there, and we have been putting some table salt followed by boiling water down there. Or even just boiling water. Obviously, this has its limitations....

Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
If I hadn't forgotten the hot water still sitting in the trap, I don't think it would have done that. Cold water only for flushing it afterwards. I have used this product many times but never into a sink I had just poured a bunch of hot water into...and I always stand back anyway!!

At least you didn't add the water to the acid Molly. That can give some really aggressive reactions.

I've been able to remove some acid staining from stainless with a peroxide/surfactant/d'limone blend but it took some elbow grease and it doesn't sound like it was as severe as your issue. Sulphuric acid is mean stuff.

In future you could try an enzyme to reduce odor and organic buildup if it continues to be an issue. Sounds like a problem trap and some faulty plumbing. A caustic at the other end of the pH scale usually works well on plugs as well. Caustics have their own set of warnings but they're safer than acids.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Any other remedies for sink drain maintenance? I am very careful now not to have any cooking grease go down there, and we have been putting some table salt followed by boiling water down there. Or even just boiling water. Obviously, this has its limitations....
Post a picture of the plumbing under the sink. If it really is an issue with the way it was done, it might be all of a $10 fix. Less than what the drain cleaner is costing you.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 PM

Thumbs up When all else fails, it's time to go 'Mechanical' !

Quote:

Selkirk
Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

Stainless sink?

The black stuff should be organic materials. Home hardware sells pure lye (sodium hydroxide) crystals and that should work. It's all I use to clear drains.

Put some warm water in the sink, add some lye crystals and stir it gently, let it sit.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 PM

You can try buffing it out with baking soda, but it's going to take some serious elbow grease!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Actually, what kind of pipe is used for the drain? PVC or ABS or other? Sulfuric acid doesn't react well to some plastics, the exothermic reaction can actually bring water to the melting point of PVC for example.

Pull the trap, see if there's any damage.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 PM

Bleach
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 PM

I would try abrasive discs chucked in a drill and Barkeepers friend. Why would you be putting nasty acid into what I'm assuming is a septic field anyways? People need to bite the bullet and physically auger the darned drain, half measures cause more problems than they solve. Chemicals are also rather unpleasant. I can often smell peoples Draino attempt and I'm glad its easy to recognize as the stuff is dangerous for the plumber called out when the half-measure fails. I've had Draino spatter bleach out my pants and it burns my forearms when flung off my drain cable. Safety glasses are a must when running the auger through that junk, a good idea anyways but mandatory when chemical is present. If I had a $5 bill for every time I smelled it or saw the empty container while the client denied using it I could treat the wife to a weekend at Lake Louise.

For those noting a vinegar mixed with baking that's more than a bit counterproductive. Either product by themselves will do something, but mixing an acid with a base chemically neutralizes a lot of their effectiveness, it's throwing money away.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-18-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Default How to get the black stain out of your stainless Steel sink

Plug the sink, Fill the sink with boiling water, add to the boiling water 5 dishwasher detergent tabs (the ones with the dry powder contained in the desolving pack) , stir with a wooden spoon every 5 minuets for the first 15 minuets the let sit for 45 minuets, put on a rubber glove and drain the sink, rinse the sink with hot tap water , the stain should be gone