Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Blakeinator2

Default Whos good with wood stock customizing?

Got a tikka t3 with the grey laminate stock that i'd like to have skeletonized, at least a large chunk taken out of the middle of the butt end and refinished proplerly to match? I have a great smith but don't want to bug him with 'cosmetic' stuff as i'm pretty sure its his least favorite thing to do with guns but when it comes to the accuracy end of things he's my man. Anyone point me in the right direction?...i'm in Calgary btw.

Blake
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Simpatico Outdoors

hey Blakeinator2

A friend of mine from Wholesale sports was telling me about this and what he does is place the gun in a vice and uses 5/8 bit making sure he is not going to interfere with the butt pad screws. If this was ever an issue you could glue the pad back on depending on how much you want to take out.

My question is when material is removed from the stock to lighten it does it affect it's balance (weight distribution)?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Blakeinator2

Kind of a quick thought really...after giving it more time i might leave it alone. A t3 lite with the laminate is only almost a 1/2lb heavier than the synthetic version...still a pretty light gun so probably not worth it. We'll see but i'm gonna move it to the bottom of the list for now.

B
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Dick284

Shed 5 to10 lbs at the gym, and call it good.
That's the more pragmatic point of view from a guy who currently packs a few to many lbs. than he should.
Out side of the wood butchering, have you considered your optics and mounts.
With some surfing of the web, and some number crunching you might be suprised to see what you can shed for weight with a set of mounts and rings, and a lighter scope.
Another fun one is what type of sling do you have?
If weight is a consideration ditch the fancy wide padded leather sling, and replace it with a plain jane old 1" web nylon unit, or an ultra light padded offering from Uncle Mikes.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Jamie Hunt

Still though I would like to find someone who could deal with refinishing a stock. They have to be good, have a light touch
Not just anybody gets to play with my wood.

Jamie