Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Default How many field days, and what did you learn.

For me, when I look back on a season the animal's I've killed are only a small part of how I judge the season. Equally important to me is the amount of time I was able to spend in the field, and what I learned. Personally I judge my time on a percentage basis, some seasons I have lots of time and others I have very little, I like to know that I made the most of what time I had.

As best I can judge I think I spent a total of 21 days in the field this season, which is both a lot of time and it represents a pretty high percentage of the time that was available to me.

I learned a little more about reading topo and edges, as well as hunting more efficiently. I found several whole new valleys littered with great terrain and good sign that I will explore this winter on snowshoes. Also, the last two seasons of hunting on dry leaves payed off, with better conditions under foot this year I could see how much I had improved by a greatly increased percentage of animals that I saw well before they saw me.

Anyways great season for me, lets hear about yours.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Did not get out near as much as I wanted due to hip issues. What did I learn, same as last year, most late season wild roosters are wily as heck.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Just pure hunting days I did 14 the only thing I learned every year more more is just enjoy the day not so much about the kill anymore even though I harvested a fine Moose.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 PM

I managed 5 hunting days on November. I had a working too much problem. I did manage to get my oldest boy(5) out a few times. Which A) made actually hunting harder, but B) was totally worth it. He hasn't quit talking about it. Which coincidentally got my next oldest wildly excited about hunting. Where I normally go is about 1.5 hrs away. This season has got me thinking about getting friendly with the neighbors and going over with a bottle of cherry whisky and having a permission chat. Road hunters have soured most land owners out my way. Having some land close to home would help hunting with young kids. No buck deer for me this year. I do have a late season cow elk up north hopefully I can capitalize on it and put some meat in the freezer. Otherwise os a grocery store freezer kind of year 😁
Greg
Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Zero field days. Learned I need more field days. Fml
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Got out a decent amount. I'd say over 20days. First goose hunt never happened. But it was still a great season!

Take it slow. Every second. Take it slow.

Doing this led to success. Not doing this led to lessons learned.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM

12 days out both bow and rifle . What did learn a lot ,things a never same way twice. Nature is beautiful so much enjoyment watching and learning . Things you only see and hear find my peace inside away from all noise life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

I spent 35 days in the field, every one of them is a lesson in the outdoors but the most important thing I've learned is that there is no better way to spend time than in the woods.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:18 PM

10 full days
9 mornings
4 afternoon/evenings

For a total of 23 days where at least half of a day (my half days were usually more like 3/4) was spent hunting.

Found some nice new areas, improved my sign reading and topo map scouting. I learned again the same thing I seem to need to relearn every year, slow down and spend more time on the binos.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Lots of goose and duck hunting. Kinda starting to figure out what is starting to work decoy setup wise. Used a flag this year for first time and what a huge difference it made.

As for deer, only got out 7 days. I didn’t have any bucks in the camera til about the 20th. So if got after em hard. I learned to hunt the does rather than the bucks.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Spent 7 days in November looking for a WT buck. This is the first year in my 15 year hunting career that i’ve hunted public land/thick timber as opposed to private land/flat prairie and coulees. Before taking a 4x4 buck on Nov.22, I learned a few things:

-Deer like areas that transition from old timber to 5-10 year old growth

-During the rut, doe estrous works. I used the J-hook method. I strung a scent bomb from my backpack while hiking into my spot, then j-hooked into the bush and watched the area I just hiked from. Within an hour, the buck I shot came down the scent trail.

- Using a small tripod stool to sit and watch my clearings kept me in those spots longer than sitting on the ground under a tree. They don’t weigh that much and are worth the little weight it added to my pack.

- Next year I’m booking off tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays to hunt. Too many people ruined my hunts while I was out on the weekend
Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 PM

First week of october was spent up north for moose, 3rd week of november spent down south for mule deer. The remainder of november was chasing whitetails and elk.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 PM

I learned to be more patient with the elk I decide to arrow...there are a lot of them lurking around....just dying to get killed.

LC
Old 12-01-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Hot dry bow season...

8 days with a bow
about 10 half days in the general season
5 full days

2 waterfowl days

Lessons:
-less time in the general forum
-more days in the tree stand
-more days at the range in the seasons prior
-more hours talking to landowners
-more solo hunts
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 PM

20 days in total from Sept through Nov for me.

Learned I needed a bigger freezer...
Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 AM

6 full days humping the hills and around 20 afternoons sitting in wait for white tails. Total chances around 7 or 8 for deer.

I learned I need to start shooting the bow year round again, it's fun and missing my opportunities on animals isn't fun. I also learned that others are willing to poach big bucks on land that I have permission on and leave their headless carcasses.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Banned

Sept 21 full days
Oct 12 full days
Nov 22 full days

Had great season didn't get my target buck but still great season,
Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Lost count, learnt that the weedy parts of the slews were not frozen, got a soaker at minus 18....freezer full though!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 AM

50 days combined hunting/scouting.
1. Doesn't matter how many cameras you run just never know how many Giants an area holds.
2. Wind from the East deer move the least
3. Spypoint cellular camera and customer service Sucks. Waste of 400$
4. Big elk lead are extremely intelligent and equally lucky! Somehow they live
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM

About 25 days hunting upland, and a dozen days hunting/spotting for geese. I definitely learned a lot about goose hunting this fall, especially concerning decoy/blind set up. Only a couple of days for my pronghorn, with moose still to come, so not many days at big game, quite the change from years ago when I spent a full month at big game every year.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:26 AM

My hunting days started in June when I hang cameras and started scouting, I was out ALOT and ended up killing my target whitetail nov 19. If it wasn't for that my season would be a bust in my mind.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Don't remember how many days but it was a lot. (Just ask my wife) hunted September on a friends promising property. Harvested a doe then my friend moved away, lost hunting privileges there. Moved on to moose late September and got my archery bull within 7 days. Late October and November with the rifle I was out every weekend for whitetail, as work got in the way. No buck this year but learned where the bucks go when the truck hunter pressure ramps up. Got a better plan for next year, taking a full week off and only hunting properties with a gate that closes : I'm very thankful for the doe and moose. I would'nt have gotten anything if it wasn't for my bow. Oh, and I now have a lead on a couple good bears too.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:33 AM

I was out every night after work and usually every Saturday and Sunday and in all that time I had the opportunity to have shot 16 WTs within my comfort range. The only Big Boy I glassed was just outside that range and I could not get up any closer on him. I did end up with a nice Doe. I learned more about WTs this year than any other year by just sitting tight and observing evening after evening. I am already looking forward to using what I have learned and applying it to next years hunt. One of the key things i learned is that for the land I hunt on I need to extend my comfort range if I want the Big Boy in the future (and I do). Great,Great year