Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Default Hunting Clothes / camo

How many hunting outfits do you guys have, and what sort of outfits are they? Do you spend the big bucks on sitka gear, do you make your own camo on the cheap, or what?

Last year I only had the one set of camo clothes, and it made hunting 2 days in a row more difficult. I'd sweat in them all day, then have to wash everything in scent-killer soap that night. Laundry is the last thing I want to do when I come home cold and tired from a day in the bush.

I was thinking of just getting a camo poncho, then I could just wear jeans or whatever under it. Anyone try the poncho?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:24 PM

My belief is camp clothing is over rated! Quiet clothes is what's important, followed by a pattern that'll break up your outline.

BW
Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Trying to fool a deer's nose is a waste of money. You can't hide the scent coming directly from a human. You can try to minimize the scent you leave behind if sitting in one spot by keeping your boots and outer layers as scent free as possible, but don't get hung up on it.

If on a budget, get several sets of earth tone base layers, both wicking and thermal, and just have one set of wind proof camo over top. If you are moving quick, all the camo in the world won't hide you.

It really depends on what/where/when/how you are hunting. Camo is helpful for bowhunting, but unnecessary if using a rifle. It's far more important to consider the performance characteristics of the clothing, such as keeping you warm or cool, dry, and comfortable. Avoid noisy/reflective materials and solid blue, black or white as these show the human form at great distance. Hunt the wind, move slow, use your binos, use the terrain and cover to hide your movements.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Only the outer layer needs to be camo. I change socks, underwear, long johns and T shirt etc daily if it is really warm out but the outer layer doesn't need to be. Just put it in a hanging bag with an ozonics if you are real paranoid about scent.

Personally I think scent is over rated. If you aren't down wind they will smell you no matter how recently or in what you washed your clothes. When I still smoked I shot a ton of game with a lit cigarette in one hand and I have also shot a lot of game during or just after taking a dump and I can guarantee there is no ozonics in the world that will cover up that smell.

I do believe snow camo works. I have walked straight down open cut lines to within 30 yards of moose, deer and elk wearing full snow camo. One of the times my brother was walking directly behind me in Green camo, as soon as he stepped out from behind me the deer bolted like a shot.I also believe that breaking up your shape helps a bunch, snow or no snow. Most big game, except bears, can't see colour.

P.S. 3Blade. good post, obviously we were tying at the same time. Saw yours after I hit post.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Camo is highly overrated.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I agree.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Camo

But you look cool in pictures in camo LOL
Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned

Most clothing that is designed for hunting only comes in camo.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM

What the others said, don't worry about camo. Quiet clothes, and appropriate layers for what your doing. Stay away ftom jeans/cotton. Thrift shop
Wool pants, sweaters, are great, get a base layer. Comfort and quiet are most important to me.

I look like a homeless man with nice binos!

I hunt flats and river valleys. I try not to sweat unless I'm packing out meat.
Ya and play the wind!
Brad
Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Most clothing that is designed for hunting only comes in camo.
What makes clothing "designed for hunting"?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
What the others said, don't worry about camo. Quiet clothes, and appropriate layers for what your doing. Stay away ftom jeans/cotton. Thrift shop
Wool pants, sweaters, are great, get a base layer. Comfort and quiet are most important to me.

I look like a homeless man with nice binos!

I hunt flats and river valleys. I try not to sweat unless I'm packing out meat.
Ya and play the wind!
Brad
Right on bsmitty27, Wool is definitely great in the woods, quite,warm even when wet,
Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
What makes clothing "designed for hunting"?
Being warm, probably waterproof, and still somewhat quiet. I don't know of another situation where quiet clothing is necessary.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
But you look cool in pictures in camo LOL
Not really.
One of the better pics I have seen posted on here was a dude with a dead sheep wearing blue jeans.

I wear whatever is quiet and comfortable. Don't care if it is white or red. Last season I was wearing my casual work pants that are not suitable for wearing to work anymore. They will also be used this season as well. This is exactly what they look like, but obviously more used and perhaps slightly lighter:

A couple of good base layers on top and this sweater (mine is grey):

A brown toque hat to top it off and I am good to about -17 when dry. I have more layers that I put on and take off as conditions dictate in my pack.
For colder weather, these clothes remain the same but more layers go on, could be on top or underneath.
I wore the same stuff for duck and goose hunts as well with a good orange wind jacket on top cover with a few dollar long sleeve camp shirt
Old 08-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Ghillie suits are great, break up your outline, wear whatever you want under it. Mine is a mesh with "leaves" all over it, $50 clearance at Cambodian Tire. I remember one Sept day, 27deg, set up mid afternoon in a cut bock for the evening, basketball shorts and Budweiser singlet under the ghillie suit, very comfortable. Dropped a nice 4x4 at last light, 30yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 08-06-2017, 04:32 PM

When I was in the territories I shot a ram at 10 meters. I was in my Y fronts. It had to be 25 c out.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Being warm, probably waterproof, and still somewhat quiet. I don't know of another situation where quiet clothing is necessary.
Ive hunted using mostly NorthFace stuff for the last several years it hasn't been a problem

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Start watching at 10 minutes.

https://youtu.be/kFpBclsQTsU

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Ive hunted using mostly NorthFace stuff for the last several years it hasn't been a problem
That's twisted logic. Lots of people have luck with a savage axis. Seems to work. Making all other more expensive rifles unnecessary.

Perhaps you'd have done even better in camo? Who knows?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
That's twisted logic. Lots of people have luck with a savage axis. Seems to work. Making all other more expensive rifles unnecessary.

No, it's called experience. It tends to dispel myths and put to bed BS.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Put a Sako and Savage Axis to the test. And one will objectively shoot better.

There is lots of various science out there saying plenty about how camo isn't really doing much. Most cheap stuff (walmart etc) uses chemicals that show up almost brighter to deer then just wearing a plain black hoody. Blue is a colour to avoid, yet KUIU's most popular patern uses it. Camo is really for the hunter. If you play the wind, and your movements correct, you're doing more then any camo will.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Put a Sako and Savage Axis to the test. And one will objectively shoot better.

There is lots of various science out there saying plenty about how camo isn't really doing much. Most cheap stuff (walmart etc) uses chemicals that show up almost brighter to deer then just wearing a plain black hoody. Blue is a colour to avoid, yet KUIU's most popular patern uses it. Camo is really for the hunter. If you play the wind, and your movements correct, you're doing more then any camo will.
And in most average shots taken on game. The axis will easily out perform the shooter. So I dispute your argument.

The idea of "I don't wear camo, and I have had success" is like Homer Simpson's rock that keeps tigers away, must be working. No tigers around. My point is the statement holds no validity into a camo vs no camo argument.

It would be similar to me saying I've driven drunk 20 times. Always made it home. Drinking and driving is fine. Which we all know is not the case.

Your camo arguments using science is valid. Success with lack of camo is not.

I'm all for non camo. I know it works fine. But if I'm going to spend money on good quality clothes, specifically for hunting, and only hunting for scent reasons. Why not camo? It's clothes specifically designed for the task at hand.

And no body said camo is a alternative to playing the wind and other hunting tactics. But breakin up your outline is going to undeniably have a positive effect.

If you choose to hate camo, for the sole reason of hating it. That's on you guy. Doesn't mean we all need to follow your lead. We are investing our money on effective clothing. Your investing your money in effective clothing without a camo pattern. I really struggle to see what the difference is.

When I step on a branch. And the game looks my way. I'd rather be wearing camo over A Ronald McDonald costume.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

More camo gets worn out of season lol I wear camo always have always will quiet and weatherproof do I believe it makes a huge difference nope probably not but quality camo can make it much more comfortable to hunt
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
And in most average shots taken on game. The axis will easily out perform the shooter. So I dispute your argument.

The idea of "I don't wear camo, and I have had success" is like Homer Simpson's rock that keeps tigers away, must be working. No tigers around. My point is the statement holds no validity into a camo vs no camo argument.

It would be similar to me saying I've driven drunk 20 times. Always made it home. Drinking and driving is fine. Which we all know is not the case.

I'm all for non camo. I know it works fine. But if I'm going to spend money on good quality clothes, specifically for hunting, and only hunting for scent reasons. Why not camo? It's clothes specifically designed for the task at hand.

And no body said camo is a alternative to playing the wind and other hunting tactics. But breakin up your outline is going to undeniably have a positive effect.

If you choose to hate camo, for the sole reason of hating it. That's on you guy. Doesn't mean we all need to follow your lead. We are investing our money on effective clothing. Your investing your money in effective clothing without a camo pattern. I really struggle to see what the difference is.

When I step on a branch. And the game looks my way. I'd rather be wearing camo over A Ronald McDonald costume.
No one is saying hate camo. But people are saying that if you think you need it you are fooling yourself. And by the same token the reverse of your argument is also valid.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No one is saying hate camo. But people are saying that if you think you need it you are fooling yourself. And by the same token the reverse of your argument is also valid.
I don't think anyone said it's needed. It's just if paying good money for good clothes for the purpose of hunting. I believe it gives an advantage. Maybe small? Yep.

But I think I'd rather spend the same money and have the advantage vs paying the money and not having it.

Each their own.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM

If you want to hunt sheep you must buy Kuiu. You can't just go hunt sheep in anything else it doesn't work like that. Sheep will pick you out like a sore thumb...but with Kuiu on you can get in bed with record breakers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone said it's needed. It's just if paying good money for good clothes for the purpose of hunting. I believe it gives an advantage. Maybe small? Yep.

But I think I'd rather spend the same money and have the advantage vs paying the money and not having it.

Each their own.
I, actually, do not buy "hunting specific" clothing. Well, maybe with an exception or two. Most of the stuff I wear hunting, I can wear anywhere anytime. I can wear it to work if I choose to. But to each their own, like you mentioned.

P.S. The number of these "camo" threads even since I have been here...
Old 08-06-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I, actually, do not buy "hunting specific" clothing. Well, maybe with an exception or two. Most of the stuff I wear hunting, I can wear anywhere anytime. I can wear it to work if I choose to. But to each their own, like you mentioned.

P.S. The number of these "camo" threads even since I have been here...
I work with oil and diesel all day. Work is not an option. The smells will never come out.

The idea of good clothes that are suitable for hiking and scouting without looking like a tool is appealing too however.

Earth tones is a good compromise for sure.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:

I think you need to reread what I wrote.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
There is a video on youtube that shows clearly how useful camo is... a hunter almost gets run over by numerous elk whilst bow hunting. I have a hard time believing that would be possible with solid colour clothing. It also proves that there is something to be said for cutting down your scent using various methods.

I will keep trying to find it.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
There is a video on youtube that shows clearly how useful camo is... a hunter almost gets run over by numerous elk whilst bow hunting. I have a hard time believing that would be possible with solid colour clothing. It also proves that there is something to be said for cutting down your scent using various methods.

I will keep trying to find it.
Did you watch the video I posted?

-Billy Molls