Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Suffield Elk reduction hunt Nov 17

It was third time at Suffield for me.
I was a helper this time. There was half crowd as in other years on safety briefing.
We were allowed to access base through gate 24 km north from Ralston this gate was to close at 10 AM.
After we enter the base and traveled East we did see 4 younger Bulls that headed North.
This was all Elk seen by us after driving all day everywhere on the base.

At one point we were close to Check point (Ralston) as we were to gas up and have Lunch outside the Base but we were told that if leave now through this gate we will not be able to reenter Base for afternoon hunt.

We could leave base through South Gate that was 50 km East from Ralston but this gate was to close at 1:30 so as it was 1:00 PM we decided to stay on the base to the end of the hunt.
There were no cows killed and reported at this time.

Plenty of Antelope, Big Mule's Bucks and some white tailed Deer but no Elk.
When we left tired and Sick (I've got bad flu and decided to drive Home) total Herd Reduction for the day was ONE COW ELK.
Same said TWO.

If you going there

#1 take enough gas and food for all day hunting (we Have) so you don't have to leave the Base at any point in time as it may not be possible to reenter for the evening hunt.

Quite disappointing to not see Elk all day ( except those bulls) and not much for fresh tracks either.

Good luck to all that stayed.

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 11-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Banned

thats a shame, that's how it was when i went.

hopefully they open up an area and the guy you're with fills his tag
Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM

How about cow moose , that's for advice on fuel and food

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 10:50 PM

Last year during our briefing, we were told we could leave the base only at our original point of entry and then re entry would only be again, at the point of exit, because that is where your sign in card would be waiting. There was no problem leaving to get lunch or fuel. Everything went like clockwork.

I would recommend searching th other thread, suffield nov 14-18. Good read any area suggestions.

Good luck !

Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 AM

Red face for what it's worth

Nov 17
1000 am found a group of 30 cows with 1 or 2 spikes and we got a cow and a calf as 20 of them had all ready jumped the fence into the Oil access area in the North. The other 10 elk turned south west into another vehicle coming east above the elk. We stopped to process our elk and didn't try to locate the 10 that went south west as we figured there would be more elk. 1630 sunset had us checking out at 1710 with the 3rd and 4th elk. Vehicle coming east had checked out earlier with 2 jammed into an SUV. Happy to hear the elk that would have been in the oil access area will be feeding his family. Saw no elk the rest of the day.

Nov 18
Morning briefing confirms 12 elk taking off the base yesterday. I can confirm one was a bull shot by a FN guy checking out in front of us. Previous day there was a 15 vehicle drawn to hunt the north portion of the NWA allowing the vehicle on a number of roads but pack in and out vehicle not permitted to retrieve. Today NWA would be closed and a draw for 15 vehicles to hunt a portion of the Proving Grounds in the south east same vehicle restrictions. Twice unsuccessful in the draw we set off to the north gate, east to the NWA border hoping some had been pushed out. Opposite the NWA we saw 1 large bull and than a group of 4 maybe 3 or 4 points. No tracks in the snow on the side of the road indicating any heard movement out of the NWA. West along the North border talked to a fellow that got a cow 2km into the NWA day previous that the range patrol recovered for him. He said it was like nothing he ever seen before a herd of 1600 elk. We were able to get 2 calves just south of the north border after finding a group of 4 calves. Checkout time 1530 12 animals brought in today all from just west of the North Center of the base. None from anywhere in the south and felt bad for those that were tricked into hunting the EPG draw at that time.

We were turned into the range patrol for following 1 of the calves with our vehicle before taking it down. When we were finishing up cleaning our calve I could hear engines screaming and tires chewing up dirt over the hills and then 2 range patrol vehicles came flying over the hill lights on to investigate after us being reported by another hunter for (herding) which is illegal. Good guys very reasonable and after being rather shook up by the situation were on our way. 10 minutes later we were stopped by a conservation officer who was spot checking all vehicles including firearms to confirm they were unloaded. With everything in check we were on our way. Saw 4 large bulls just south of the north border.

We wanted 4 cows and ended up with less meat but appreciate what we left with considering the low numbers of elk taken thus far. Hopefully today the 19th is a better day for the other hunters.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Default Good job

How hard is it to get drawn for the base hunt, sounds like there are some elk there just a matter of being in the right area of the base.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:45 PM

I think I was a P3 and got the first week for cows, I would bet you could do it as a 0 in some of the later seasons
Old 11-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Thumbs up

today my friend got his 2 elk from south side(draw,15 hunters allowed) epg,i saw many of the 15 hunters got their elk from epg area,soldiers in the base were very helpfull during the hunt,we thank them all.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 AM

We will be heading there next week! My wife has drawn a bull tag, hopefully we can get her her first elk!
Old 11-20-2016, 03:36 PM

The Gf and I both got drawn on P0 for the last Jan hunt