Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 PM

It took place in the Med Hat area. Not sure the area helps as this could happen anywhere.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It took place in the Med Hat area. Not sure the area helps as this could happen anywhere.
I think that it was prudent of you to carry cutters with you if you are taking your dog into an area that is known to be heavily snared for coyotes.

"Thinking about the up coming bird season. Hutterites around here are big into snaring coyotes. Looking for cable cutters to protect the dogs, will either of these two work for a one time application? Thanks."

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=wire+cutters
Old 11-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
I am very familiar with the regulations and am not wrong. Give me one instance of a statement I have made that is wrong. Be specific because regulations are specific. I am looking forward to your reply.
You actually state the laws are too lax. I am wondering which laws?
I hunt crown land a lot up here and every piece of ground is virtually RFMA .
bear bait signs do no good if you come onto it where the signs are not posted and the dogs don't read anyway .
As far as longhair snares and traps go, it is better to be prepared because the law won't help you save your dog if you don't have cutters .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Most people don't even know what a trapline is let alone what to look for. It's also perfectly legal to have your dog off leash most places.
Not sure about other counties, but sturgeon county has leash laws that prohibit having a dog at large or off leash when it is not on the owners property.

I have snared for 3 years now and never caught a landowners dog.

last year caught a big black fluffy one that didn't belong to the neighbors or the landowner and the next house was easily a mile away from the snare, dog was fine as it was a free hanging snare, I clipped the snare and off he went.

but how far is far enough? if a land owner wants to allow a trapper on his/her property, then they shouldn't have to worry about other peoples pets wondering around.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Not sure about other counties, but sturgeon county has leash laws that prohibit having a dog at large or off leash when it is not on the owners property.

last year caught a big black fluffy one that didn't belong to the neighbors or the landowner and the next house was easily a mile away from the snare, dog was fine as it was a free hanging snare, I clipped the snare and off he went.

but how far is far enough? if a land owner wants to allow a trapper on his/her property, then they shouldn't have to worry about other peoples pets wondering around.
X2
I have caught 2. A mile from the nearest house as well. If i would have been using the Senneker system then there would be 2 dead dogs now. Thankfully they were alive and released and it looks like I got there soon after. It makes me wonder at times how many dogs we have roaming around the country...
Old 11-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post

Are you being serious? He's talking about a hunting dog in a hunting situation, not a free ranged farm dog. I think that if the 2 seasons are going to coexist there should be some sort of signage in place. That way at least the boys with bird dogs have a heads up.

Regardless, it's a good idea to carry a good set of snips on you when ever hunting with a bird dog. I'm just glad they got the dog free.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Your hunting upland game, dogs are roaming, trappers have snares set...be prepared. Period!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Are you being serious? He's talking about a hunting dog in a hunting situation, not a free ranged farm dog. I think that if the 2 seasons are going to coexist there should be some sort of signage in place. That way at least the boys with bird dogs have a heads up.

Regardless, it's a good idea to carry a good set of snips on you when ever hunting with a bird dog. I'm just glad they got the dog free.
Pretty sure when the season was first extended many of us posted a warning and a suggestion for Hunters to carry good quality cable snips, leatherman and side cutters are not usually good enough.

LC
Old 11-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

All that signs would do is put a big target on the area for people to tamper with or steal traps and/or the coyotes that are caught. if it's private property that you don't have permission to hunt on then stay off of it. Just like assuming that every firearm is loaded, you should assume that private property that you don't have permission to hunt on has snares on it. As far as dogs not being able to read no trespassing signs, that's your responsibility, they can't read "snares in area" signs either.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:17 PM

Very true, but I also know that if there was some sort of signage up on the property that was adjoining the land were I'm hunting, I probably would not hunt anywhere near the fence line.

Ether way like I already said, the best solution is to carry a good set of snips.

Is stealing animals off a trap line actually a problem? Not being smart ass, honest question.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am very familiar with the regulations and am not wrong. Give me one instance of a statement I have made that is wrong. Be specific because regulations are specific. I am looking forward to your reply.
Darn, it's a pity Paskell has passed away. At least it saved me the trouble of deciding which one of his false statements I would start with.
It's nice to see that trolls have a short life span on AO.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Default My .02 cents

Unless it is a power snare with ramset to engage my experience shows most domestic dogs do not struggle enough for a manual snare to hurt them. Most when confined or caught act very similar to being on a collar or leash and just stop moving. I guess finding them in thick cover could be the challenge but if your dog doesn't struggle on a collar it should not struggle in a snare. Not sure why the cutters are required for the snares I used 20 years ago for coyotes were easy to open with the lock lifting and sliding back to disengage the loop.

When I set coyote traps around the farm a few years ago I physically went to each neighbor with a dog and told them I was trapping my property due to coyote problems and if their dog got caught in a trap it became coyote bait. 2 neighbors didn't listen and while their dogs didnt die they limped all the way home from being held in a #4 for a good part of the night.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Darn, it's a pity Paskell has passed away. At least it saved me the trouble of deciding which one of his false statements I would start with.
He'll be back under a new name. I've lost count how many times that he's been banned. Pathetic really.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Very true, but I also know that if there was some sort of signage up on the property that was adjoining the land were I'm hunting, I probably would not hunt anywhere near the fence line.

Ether way like I already said, the best solution is to carry a good set of snips.

Is stealing animals off a trap line actually a problem? Not being smart ass, honest question.
Here's your sign. "Warning coyote snare season is now on. Snares may be located or private or crown land. Trappers are not on duty to watch your dog for you".
Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
He will be back for sure.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Yup, there are reports every year on registered an resident lines!
I think Hunter Dave in fact had an issue last year
Cat
Old 11-17-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
He's a rabbit snaring Raven lunatic.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup, there are reports every year on registered an resident lines!
I think Hunter Dave in fact had an issue last year
Cat
No, it wasn't me, but there was a fella on the Trapping forum that lost numerous snared coyotes last year. He lost quite a few.

People around here are really good with leaving my traps alone when they come across them. I only snare private property so unless someone is trespassing they shouldn't be an issue to anyone. I still wouldn't want to advertise the fact that they are there and I don't think that I should have to.
I have on numerous occasions informed people running their dogs that there were traps in the area and suggested safer locations.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-17-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
No, it wasn't me, but there was a fella on the Trapping forum that lost numerous snared coyotes last year. He lost quite a few.

People around here are really good with leaving my traps alone when they come across them. I only snare private property so unless someone is trespassing they shouldn't be an issue to anyone. I still wouldn't want to advertise the fact that they are there and I don't think that I should have to.
I have on numerous occasions informed people running their dogs that there were traps in the area and suggested safer locations.
Exactly, some people just leave town, go for a drive, find an area, dump the dogs out, climb over the fence and go for a nice stroll...tresspassing and then when asked what the heck are they doing they stand there looking at you like a walleye out of the water...I love the look on thier face when the very next morning my dog and I are in thier kitchen enjoying a plate of bacon...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Banned

Default The bird season is to long !

Myself and a few associates have written to the minister asking
why the season extension . Pointing out the ramifications of bird dogs
In the trapping season . As usual no answer .

The tool needed are not snips . The are heavy Guage Cable Cutters
Or by pass cutters . I got a pair at home hardware , the more than
Accommodating sales man let me try them at the cable dispenser
They cut easily 1/2" twist . The make is Klein

I am done Nov. 30 .....I have had 3 mo.s ,plenty . Thanks goodness
the better areas are closed . Pray for a light winter there will be even
more roosters next year .

Yesterday I got permission on 6 farms to shoot coyotes .....owners
were happy to oblige . One man suggested I set up on the edge of
the yard in the evening to call .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (7.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:44 AM

I live near the beaver river. I used to always take my dog with me on the trails along the river. Not anymore. Way too many resident trappers out now. MD puts on trapping courses seems like weekly now. Way too many snares out there. trapper just north of my house has sets out right now for coyotes. I spoke with him the other day and explained my concern to him with his sets so close to my place. He just shrugged em off. I'm pretty sure it was one of his snares that I found on one of my foals. He shrugged it off. Personally, I think he's way to close to residents for setting snares.
I get permission in my area to call and shoot coyotes. Lately, I've had numerous neighbours phone me when they see em around.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Myself and a few associates have written to the minister asking
why the season extension . Pointing out the ramifications of bird dogs
In the trapping season . As usual no answer .
Why would you want to limit the season for other bird hunters? If they know that there may be snares out shouldn't it be up to them to determine whether or not it is safe for their own dog? Why would you want to take that decision away from them?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:24 PM

I am glad your dog is ok, it is not a fun experience for you or the dog. I had this happen twice a couple of years back. I did not carry cutters at that time; thankfully I was not a long distance from the vehicle. Both times it was on EID land during November, I reported it to Rick with the EID. The trappers that had permission were not allowed to trap the EID until after bird season, he checked with all the guys, and none had snares out.

Last year on the final day of Pheasants I came across a guy setting snares on the EID; when I mentioned that the EID does not allow it until after the upland season, he said the did not think anyone would be out on the last day...knucklehead! I appreciate what the EID does in this regard; I believe that it strikes a balance between these legitimate pursuits.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Banned

What's EID?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What's EID?
Eastern Irrigation District
Cat
Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Eastern Irrigation District
Cat
That includes 1.5 million acres. With that much land involved and if permission to trap it is controlled by a committee (?), why wouldn't they approach ERD to make it illegal to trap prior to December 1 and put it in the trapping regulations?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:31 PM

I also trap/snare on private land guys. Have done so for 20 years. My personal rules are-don't even bother till deer season is over.I miss out on a few yotes but as long as other outdoorsmen are actively in the area just hold off. You end up with gear and animals messed with guaranteed. Stay off the home quarter too. The dog knows his boundaries. Pull your snares when you are done. Don't set on deer trails. Use your head or find another hobby before you ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Banned

Default May be informative for some dog owners .

Found this on FB .

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...gODcJw-QaM&s=1

Good refresher !
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I live near the beaver river. I used to always take my dog with me on the trails along the river. Not anymore. Way too many resident trappers out now. MD puts on trapping courses seems like weekly now. Way too many snares out there. trapper just north of my house has sets out right now for coyotes. I spoke with him the other day and explained my concern to him with his sets so close to my place. He just shrugged em off. I'm pretty sure it was one of his snares that I found on one of my foals. He shrugged it off. Personally, I think he's way to close to residents for setting snares.
I get permission in my area to call and shoot coyotes. Lately, I've had numerous neighbours phone me when they see em around.
Interesting post. I'm not familar with the area you are talking about. It must all be private land for resident trappers to be able to trap there. I have never heard of more then one resident trapper per private area, but I suppose it is possible.
Was your foal on someone else's property when it was snared, or was snare set illegally on your property?
I'm surprised you didn't report the fellow you confronted, esp if you think he is setting ilegal snares on your property.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM

Re:requiring warning signs.....no thanks!!
Trapline theft of equipment and fur is a never ending battle.
I haven't trapped in some time now,but did for 20-ish years in my younger days.
I often went to great lengths to be stealthy/not leave tracks/actually choose not to set in best location at times because of too high risk of theft and look for less productive but safer locations......not a chance in hell that I'd support advertising my sets for every thief in the country to find,lose enough damn gear,fur,and money to thieves as it is.
And fwiw......you really don't need wire cutters to free a snared pooch 99% of time,locks can be backed off by hand easily enough,and if it's too tight and kinked for that,you're too late anyhow.

Also fwiw,I'm far from being a dog hater,quite the opposite in fact,have owned both bird dogs and hounds throughout most of my life.
Also from experience,having snared a few domestic dogs in my day,if they are accustomed to being on a chain or leash they quite often/usually won't struggle and choke out,rather they'll often just sit patiently waiting to be freed.
Closed Thread