Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Default P.S. ATV's

I believe Honda started with power steering in 07. Does anyone have one.

Any reviews on em?
Thx!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM

I thought it was yamaha that first came out with it
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Not sure, but I think Yamaha started the power steering thing first, and was such a hit that Honda (and maybe others) are now adopting the technology. Irrespective of that, I have EPS on my Grizzly 700 and absolutely LOVE it! If I was in the market to buy another quad, I would not even consider it if if it did not have Power Steering. It may sound wussy, but when your ATV is not just for fun riding, but actually being used as a utility vehicle to access hunting and fishing areas, it is so nice to be able to get off the bike for a multi-hour hunt or fish and not be tired from running the quad.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM

I have an 06 Honda Foreman with regular steering and my huntin buddy just bought a 08 Foreman with power steering. The difference is huge.
I even looked into selling my 06 just too get the same machine on 08 with power steering but i would take too big of a hit so i decided I will just have too suck it up and have sore arms from steering all day.
maybe in time I will be able too add an aftermarket power steering set up or in time i may get fed up enough too sell my 06 and upgrade but for now I'm just glad to have a quad all be it with no power steering.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I have EPS on my Grizzly 700 and absolutely LOVE it!
LRM, what does the 'E' stand for?

Hey Rog if you sell it private you should do ok. I have the 06 Rubicon and I'm thinking about going to P.S.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
LRM, what does the 'E' stand for?.
I believe it stands for "Electronic"

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 AM

Hey Rog if you sell it private you should do ok. I have the 06 Rubicon and I'm thinking about going to P.S.[/QUOTEING TUC]

Ya I thought about a private sale but I really hate selling stuff, some people like it I hate it. You have strangers coming by and wasting your time etc. I have always just traded old vehicles in when getting a new one but in this case Honda has no interest as they offered me 4000 dollars for a 2 year old quad that they sold me and has been maintained exclusively by Honda so i said to hell with it.
I don't have the patience or the time too try too sell it privately so i just decided too keep it as the only thing wrong with it is that it has no power steering.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM

Once you have ridden a EPS quad back to back with one without you will want to keep the power steering model.
It is a huge difference in handling and even rider fatigue.
Yamaha.Honda and now Polaris have power steering models.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 AM

There is a company thats starting to make aftermarket systems for some atv's.http://atvpowersteering.com/
Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Yamaha was the first to have it on an atv and Honda followed suite. Now Suzuki and Polaris offer it. The EPS is the way to go as it offers more benefits than easier steering. The EPS really reduces kickback and the hadlebars don't get yanked near as often. On the Yamaha's as the speed increases the output is reduced and there is not assistance from the EPS after 30 kmh. This is to reduce the chance of oversteering.

I was at the Grizzly 700 dealer release and we rode the 660 and 700 back to back and the difference is huge. The 700 in 4wd diff-lock steered easier than the 660 in 2wd. I traded my 660 for a 700 and the 660 will be the last non eps machine I own. Pushing snow, riding tight trail and mud riding is where the EPS really shines.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Honda has had it since 2007. Seems to work well. You really notice the diffeance when you have mud tires on-steers very easy.