Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Done Sausage Making for Another Year - Finally

Started yesterday evening and finally finished around supper time today. Glad to be done and now only a few hours of wrapping. In total 120 pounds of deer and elk sausage. Should keep the family happy for a year.

At the beginning I felt like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAUP1wsmqUU

but by the end I was getting sick of seeing all that meat

Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 PM

That is a CRAPLOAD of sausage! Looks good though. I just started making my own (un-smoked "fresh" sausage) with pretty good results so far. I have been using the Hi Mountain kits and the whole family likes them. One problem I do have is that they don't offer a garlic ring kit. If you have a moment, and a good recipe for garlic ring, please shoot me a PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Wow, thats a lot of sausage. I made 30lbs of italian sausage this year. It was my first try and I thought that was a lot of work, I couldn't imagine doing as much as you did, lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Looks like the bud light commercial:
"Sorry friends, there will be no sausage party here tonight"

Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Was a lot of work but worth it. As for a recipe I cheaped out this year. Went to Premium Sausage in Seven Persons and bought the mix from them. Total cost for the mix was just under $18 for enough to do 120 lbs. Added my own garlic power, liquid smoke and mustard seed to flavor(sample a few times just to make sure its good ). I have done a lot of different mixes over the year and have never found one as good as the butcher shop makes. Bought the pork there as well but will not do that again as the grinding for the pork took over 2 hours and the grinding for the dear and elk took about 45 minutes. Will ask them to grind it next year just to make things a lot more simple.