Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Red light cameras! Holy money grab batman!

I understand the Idea behind these things but there is another option out there That doesn't make people act irratic at intersections and cost people serious coin. If you drive up to a light and they have a counter up doesn't that just make everything easier. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. They count down from 20 or 10 or something. If it says 2sec. from 40 yds away i think that we all would know to stop. If they are going to use RLC's then they should at least back them up with counters IMO. I've seen the counters in Banff and I think a few around Cowtown now and they make perfect sense to me. Good for pedestrians too. I understand there is a cost involved but that could be easily covered by the clowns who actually run RLC talking on their cells or what ever. Not to mention all these idiot that cause the accidents in the intersections. they should get a bill.

Just a rant. tired of sitting in traffic due to bad drivers.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 PM

here's the deal on yellow lights that we have.
When you drive up to the lights and the first yellow lights start flashing ,
IF you are driving the speed limit, you will be at the red when you get to the line, no ifs and s or buts about it.
IF you are pas them, there is no way that you will hit the red.
HOWEVER, you must be driving the speed limit.
Going through a yellow when you already see it means you may hit the red.
if you do, TOUGH.
No such thing as a "soft red" or a "hard yellow".
I have absolutely no problem with photo radar or cameras at lights.
but then , I don't speed and I slow down when I see a yellow light.
Cat
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Cat, with all due respect, you're missing the point. More than likely, 95% of drivers accelerate as the light turns yellow regardless of whether they are doing the speed limit previous. It's human nature. Thus the cash cow aspect.

Statistics have shown that the red light cameras result in far fewer T-bone collisions which are far more injury/fatality prone. However, incidents of rear-end collisions sky rocket. A $300 ticket once, makes many pretty jumpy on the brakes. Not a good thing IMHO.........

Tree
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM

got one in the work truck last week $287.00. but i was my own fault, i probly should of stoped. i made the choice to run it i got caught now i pay. i could bitch and complain, but i made the choice no one made me run it so now i'm $287 lighter so be it. don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine. those count down lights are a great idea.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 PM

I too like the idea of light countdowns. But, I also don't care one way or the other about red light cameras because I don't run red lights. In fact, I tend to start slowing down if I'm coming up to a stale green light, knowing it may turn at any moment. (My apologies if I came across as a little pompous, wasn't my intention.)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Cat, with all due respect, you're missing the point. More than likely, 95% of drivers accelerate as the light turns yellow regardless of whether they are doing the speed limit previous. It's human nature. Thus the cash cow aspect.

Statistics have shown that the red light cameras result in far fewer T-bone collisions which are far more injury/fatality prone. However, incidents of rear-end collisions sky rocket. A $300 ticket once, makes many pretty jumpy on the brakes. Not a good thing IMHO.........

Tree
.....and 99.9% of drivers accelerate when I want to merge.

When I moved to Calgary in 2002, it didn't take long to surmise that Calgary does not have roads. It has asphalt collection trays!

Now, zoom ahead and imagine the pandemonium on the streets next year with the cameras up and running if we another winter like this one! I like the idea of mandatory winter tires. It'll help those whose drive last year was behind the wheel of an ox and cart. I digress.

Last edited by pogo; 01-10-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 AM

I disagree with the cash cow idea. If people CHOOSE to break traffic laws they will be fined. I think this is great, charge them all.

If I have the choice of being rear ended at a light or being hit broadside by some vehicle that is running the light.........
The answer is obvious.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 AM

I think a couple of you missed the point. I personally have never got a red light ticket, but I see the chaos that is caused at times by the cameras.

MY POINT was that if they put up more of the counters, I think it would be a more active way of preventing collisions. But they make more money off the RLC's by themselves, then prevent accidents. If they really wanna prevent accidents they will install more counters.

Most people CAN'T drive , but I sure hope they can count to ten.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
I think a couple of you missed the point. I personally have never got a red light ticket, but I see the chaos that is caused at times by the cameras.

MY POINT was that if they put up more of the counters, I think it would be a more active way of preventing collisions. But they make more money off the RLC's by themselves, then prevent accidents. If they really wanna prevent accidents they will install more counters.

Most people CAN'T drive , but I sure hope they can count to ten.
I think it is a great idea. But, I also like the red light cams. I detest bad drivers, and anything we can do to stop them is a good idea I think.
I always thought it would be a good idea to install some sort of one way radar gun on numerous power lines along highways, would render radar detectors completely useless. Maybe that would slow down losers?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:16 PM

They are good, people are just made because they get caught breaking the law...most don't realize that the yellow means stop as well not speed up to make the light.

Follow the laws and you will never get a ticket.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I agree with counters. I have never seen one (hillbilly) but the concept sounds great.

Red light cameras do not fine people that go throught yellow lights. They fine vehicles that have entered the intersection after the lights turned red.