Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
So you think that it's alright to regulate vehicles that pollute more, but you then don't agree with a bylaw that will obviously reduce emissions??
I thought the absurdity of my statement would be obvious to all. My mistake. I was merely pointing out a) the unfairness of treating all vehicles the same, and b) where this will lead in terms of slapping taxes and fines on anything that moves. Those that doubt statement b) need look no further than where income tax started in the early 1900's and where it is now.

The one benefit of this by-law is that it really underlines the fact that there are a bunch of intellectually deficient people running this city. IF they were really concerned about vehicle emissions they would have had 3 lanes on the Anthony Henday and they would have put in overpasses while they were building it. The extra emissions that are expelled by people stuck in traffic in this city by far out weigh the paltry amount that would be saved by making me start driving my cold diesel after only 3 minutes of idling. How about a $1 surcharge at drive-thru windows?

This by-law is nothing more than a feel-good measure put up by a bunch of morons who want something to wave around so they can say "Hey look at us! We care about stuff! and now that we have our foot in the door what else ya got in your wallet??"
Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
A vehicle idling all night VS a vehicle idling for 3 minutes, kind of obvious to me. By the response on this forum I would bet quite a few would get reported. I know if it stunk up my house or kept me up all night I wouldn't hesitate if the owner of the vehicle would not reason with me.
It won't stop that for i second at -11.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM

I have to Idle my truck.....Period!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Politicions

Politicians be it Federal, Provincial, Municipal, Civic (especially councillors) equate to 'A WASTE OF GOOD OXYGEN'.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
river_runner

Default funny thread

this is a funny thread best one of the year 2009, 63 reply's and over 500 looks

Quote:
Edmonton's Proposed Anti-Idling Bylaw
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_runner View Post
this is a funny thread best one of the year 2009, 63 reply's and over 500 looks

Just out of curiosity, what is so funny about it?

Tree
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM

scare tactics...and we are ALL falling for it....again
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
scare tactics...and we are ALL falling for it....again
Hardly a scare tactic, Jamie, when they already wasted $140,000 of our tax money on a vehicle idling reduction campaign in 2008. Well, on second thought, that's scary enough.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Why Idle???

I would like for one of you diesel truck owners explain why it is so important for you to idle. Is it based on a mechanical? will your truck not run? or is it based on convenience? (I have a non diesel truck and have no trouble starting it) Don't tell me it is your right to expend the fuel you pay for, that to me seems like a cop out. I think if you could prove to me that there is a valid reason based on fact, not opinion or "that is what we have always done" I might be able to accept that the idea that creating useless emissions and noise is actually beneficial to anyone. I am not talking about sitting in a lineup at Timmy's, it baffles me that people think they have to leave vehicles idling, is your truck or car going to get that cold if you turn it off while you run into a store for a couple of minutes? Why would someone need to leave it running outside a residence for three hours while they go in for a visit? most vehicles in AB have remote starters what would be wrong with letting it warm up for 10 minutes instead?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I have to Idle my truck.....Period!!!!!
I agree, but not more than 20-30 minutes of idle time even with a diesel. I think 3 minutes is ridiculously short amount of time but a bylaw of 20 minutes is realistic.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Default warm or cool

I like to have a warm truck to get into when I drive away with fully defrosted windows etc for safety. With a diesel this usually takes a good 15 minutes of idleing at least depending on the temp. And in the summer I like to have a nice cool vehicle to get into. When I'm working I usually start my truck in the morning and turn it off at the end of the day. I make lots of stops and if I turned it off everytime I parked somewhere I would be starting my truck at least 30 times a day if not 80 or more some days. My stops usually last anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 or 20 minutes sometimes. Plus my dog rides with me and she like continuous climate control in the truck.

Plus I'm getting sick and tired of mealy mouthed weasels telling me how I should live MY life.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I would like for one of you diesel truck owners explain why it is so important for you to idle?

Because it's -40 out and I don't like putting my kids into a freezing cold truck.

Because when I shut it off for 30 minutes it takes 20 to get back to running temps.

Diesel engines do not generate the heat that gas engines do......so let them run.....I personally don't want to fire a $20 000 engine 10 times a day from a frozen condition. If you don't think it has a negative effect on it you've never stood beside one that just fired up.

That being said...be polite about it. Park in areas that a more isolated blah blah blah.

I don't shut Wifey's gas jobby off either......maybe I just don't like being cold

tm
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

Default house temp

If city council gets to decide how long my truck idles I want to decide what temperature they keep their homes heated and or cooled at.