Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Default whats with my bow *&%&*

new to this site and need some help. i bought a new bowtech flatliner this year and have been told that it should be plenty capable of 1/2" groups at 20-30 yards. however i have trouble keepin them in closer than 1 foot to 6 inches. i shoot gold tip carbons with a biscuit and have tried everything i can think of but nothing seems to help. the wierd part is some groups are not bad and others are out to lunch. any advice would be great, thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM

The bow is very capable of shooting 1" groups if it is tuned properly. Are you capable of 1" groups - how much archery experience do you have? The best thing to do is to take it to an archery shop that has shooting lanes (such as Trophy Book in Spruce Grove) have them look it over & shoot it there while someone watches to see exactly what is going on with the bow and yourself.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM

in most cases is the shooter.

Have somebody else shoot it for you.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM

"1/2 at 20-30 Yds" - Somebodies sales pitch. Bows shot out of a shooting machine would be capable of that. Shooters who go to the worlds in Vegas are capable of that. Those are very lofty expectations for a hunting style bow and hunting setup. Practice leads to small groups. Half inch groups would still be some fine shooting if consistent though.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

well i have had one bow before and it was and much older parker but i felt much more confident with it. I have been shooting for a couple years now and feel its not just my mistakes. i live in ontario but this site seems to have such good advice, any body know of a shop around central ontario.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Advice??

Tuning??? Who tuned it? did you set it up? Why dont you google archery ranges/shops in your area...otherwise a phonebook is a good idea. Check for loose components.

I learned alot of what I know(which prolly isn't much) from the internet and various proshops...Most bows are capable of shooting fantastic groups if the shooter is well practiced, or from a machine.

How many arrows do you shoot a day? I shoot around 50 a day either at a range or off my deck at a target. Practice and tuning man, thats what it always comes down to.

I shoot around the same with my Ross cardiac as I do out of my Fred bear Epic, Just practice and tune.
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM

ya i set it up and after having problems i did a bunch of reading and ended up took it to a guy who has a little shop in his basement but im not possitive about his work. maybe practice is all it is buti dont see how i can do things any different for better results. also i was wondering if my sights, tru glo 5 pin, or my peep might have something to do with it as it doesnt seem to be very fine for tight sighting, ie @ 20 yrds my pin will cover in eccess a 3 inch dot
Old 12-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Default sights...

Can you move your sights out further...that helped me before...I was thinking of this before.
Do you have a kisser button or a solid anchor point?? Release aid or fingers ???

I dno man Its so hard to diagnose over the internet man I am just trying to give you a little insight...

Give it a whirl and lemme know.
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 PM

im not sure what you mean by kisser button, i use a release and just bring the string back till it touches the tip of my nose every time
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Kisser button acts as an anchor point. When you draw back the button touches the outter part of your mouth( hence kisser button).
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Where did you buy your bow? online or from a bowshop?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Default bow

Had a similar situation, ended up being a broken, bolt on my sights, check all components for loose or broken screws and bolts, followthrew, is extremely important to accuracy, and comes with practice.If somebody else can shoot it more consistently, you may, need to work on technique. lots of variables on your situation. but lots of experience on this board. good luck with your bow. practice as much as you can.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

from a shop but their more of a gun shop than speciallizing in bows
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM

who knows... without anyone of us fellow bow hunters not that we are all experts,But with out physically looking at the bow or watching how you shoot. There could be many reasons why your groups so big. Everyone here has mentioned very many possibilities, thats causing such poor accuracy.

My thoughts, if you adjusted the poundage yourself perhaps one limb is tighter then the other.
Maybe your pulling to much poundage causing yourself to tire quickly resulting in pulled shots.

As mentioned before best thing to do it take it to a local archery shop and have them look over it and watch while you shoot.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM

ok thanks everyone for you help
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM

First question is, how long have you been shooting it? Second, for more accuracy, get rid of the Wisker buscuit rest, save that for hunting season. Get your self a dropaway rest or at least a prong style rest. That alone will help. Next check your timing, and also paper test it. Do you have a stabilizer on your bow? Another item to look into that will greatly help you accuracy/consistancy.

My concern here is that you say your shooting well sometimes. from that, I would get its shooter error. More practice, even get someone to help you.

Best thing is find a real achery shop, have them take a look at it, maybe they may see a problem you dont. Best of luck!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Consistent Anchor point

Sounds like your anchor point isn't consistent, try a kisser button, check your equipment for sure, but I think its your anchor point consistency, some people are naturally more consistent than others, eg. my brother, he can very consistently hit a 6"x6" target at 60 yards, where as I can do it only at 40 yards or closer, and we both use bisciuts. My advice is consentrate on your anchor point more when you shoot, and maybe pick up Hunter's Specialties So You Want To Be A Bowhunter DVD, they probably can explain it better than me. Practice makes perfect.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM

good shop in central ontario

that is a big area but if you are arround Barrie check out wolfs den it is west of barrie. great little shop, well not so little anymore.

Brad