Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Arrow buying question

When you order arrows online or from a catalog do they generally come fletched and with the insert and knock installed ?

I see carbon arrows around $60 per dozen in the SIR catalog and was wondering how ready to shoot they actually are.

What is the best way to determine the length or the arrow ?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
When you order arrows online or from a catalog do they generally come fletched and with the insert and knock installed ?

I see carbon arrows around $60 per dozen in the SIR catalog and was wondering how ready to shoot they actually are.

Ordering things from the SIR and things are ok but if you screw up it is your loss not theirs as there is no return on arrows that have been cut, you are far better off to purchase from an archery pro shop, might cost a little but they know what they are talking about.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 PM

If I had a pro shop near me I would entertain the thought. I order online and I get the shafts uncut and no fletching. I prefer to do all that myself. If you know how long your arrows are then you could have them cut for you. I may do this next time and try it.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

Make sure they are spined right for your bow... order them fletched... nocks inserted as well and they come with the inserts loose. You can cut them yourself and insert them yourself as well.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post

I don't see any bare shafts for sale at SIR/Cabellas.......they all say they are fletched. They will also be full length and the inserts will not be installed. So you have to cut them to your length and glue the inserts in. To properly cut an arrow you need an arrow saw or other cut-off saw that you are confident will cut a carbon arrow squarely. Has to be a square cut so that your insert seats properly. You need glue (2 part 24 hr epoxy for example). A finished arrow is measured from the deepest part of the knock (where the string rests) to the end of the insert (does not include the point). You require an arrow that is at least one inch longer than where it contacts the arrow rest when drawn. A proshop will do all the work for you if you aren't confident with this. archerybymail.com will do it for sure (Heights archery shop in Winnipeg). I don't know if any of the shops in the edmonton area will cut and mail them out (can't see why not)? You can always phone them. Where are you?