Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Default Traditional bows

Whats a good traditional bow these days? been wanting to get one just not sure from who, I'v been looking at hoyt recurves they look awsome and modern but would like a more old school look. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM

You could contact any of the custom bowyers out there,but be prepared to wait for several months for your bow!
Chekmate is building some VERY nice bows these days, and they are reasonably priced.
Cat
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Default trad bows

Hoyt recurves are great, pse are ok, just about any production bow is going to be fine. I've got some high end stuff but the deer aren't any deader being shot with a 1400.00 trad bow than with an off the shelf 300.00 one either. If you're in Calgary and want to go shoot some bows let me know and I can help you out--after hunting season

the chef
Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Dale Karch at Three Rivers Archery is a good guy....via the net

tm
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 AM

wow so many options to go with all depending on how much you wanna spend,Checkmate,Bob Lee,Blackwidow,so so many also 3 rivers archery, Kustom king,Tradtech Archery, hope this helps you out, one suggestion try some out to see if you like them before you buy. Good luck and enjoy
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 AM

There are many choices available today.
I review Traditional bows , and have reviews on line on my site, http://www.peteward.comjust click the Trad review button.
I do not sell anything. The site is srtictly for information.
The big thing for a new Traditional shooter is not to order to much draw weight.

Pete
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM

First off I second comments by fourpoint and petew.

No matter what -
1.Choose a lower draw weight to start.
2. if at all possible - try before you buy.

I assume your new to trad bows and by your interest in the hoyt it sounds like you favor a recurve vs a longbow. That's likely to be your first big decision. Pete's website is a great place to start to check out the different options with some of the premier custom bows out there. (you might be waiting until next hunting season for your bow to arrive though). That said there are plenty around. For the price of a hoyt you can get into some pretty cool stuff as listed above but you can also find excellent bows in the $300 - $500 range that shoot well. If your looking for a "production" type setup you woud do well with Martin or Bear and most retailers have some recurves and logbows gathering dust on the rack.

some places you should look
Git-r-done archery (based in calgary)
heights Archery (out of winnipeg)
3 Rivers

You mightwant to peek at the bows people are using on the ATBA website and read some reviews on Mr Ward's site. If your in calgary there are lots of trad shooters out on Fridays at the CAC and they are usuallt more than willing to talk your ear off about anything trad.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM

If you are near Edmonton contact me and we can arrange for you to try out the review bows I have on hand. I don't sell bows, but I do have a good number of demonstrator bows that are available to try. My Email is pete@peteward.com

Pete