Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Deboning is quick but trimming out the fat and other schmegly bits takes longer than 20 mins.

LC
Oh, Yeah, when we do it ourselves. Trimming the fat, etc takes me a lot longer but I'm pretty anal like that. I doubt that the butcher takes that amount of time though. I'll bet that it doesn't take a butcher longer than 20 minutes to get everything ready for the grinder, de-boned and quickly trimmed.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM

I think lefty was a butcher....... or his father......or maybe not even either of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM

4-5 hrs to bone out a deer with minimal waste.
Any less, there is waste.
I take every meat layer between ribs, flank and the neck bone shines when I'm done.

BB,
The $400 is about right.
Save $100 of that if you bone it out yourself.

TBark
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM

for all those wondering on prices

de-boning
110lb x $1.00=$110
carcass disposal $15
garlic sausage
55lbs x $2.08= $114.40
pepperoni
28lbs x $2.40= $67.20
added pork
28lbs x $2.75= $77.00
boxes (if you can believe that)
2 x $4= $8.00

Total
$391.60 + GST= $407.73

I came to grips with the prices until I got home and opened up those $8 boxes and realized it all had to be re-sealed, looked like they vac packed it with Saran wrap. Oh well live and learn
Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

How's it taste? You might want to get some freezer paper and masking tape and wrap them up again. I'm not sure that I totally understand the type of plastic that they used but if it's as thin as saran wrap it sounds pretty flimsy.

To me the price sounds reasonable, maybe $1.00/lb for de-boning was a little high and I don't know about that wrap. Everything else seems par for the course IMO.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 PM

We hang ours with the hide on....less waste or work trimming outside dry.,

Skinning takes 15 minutes if your being careful and minimum hair onto meat.

With the two boys helping from start to vacuum sealed and clean up takes us 3 hours per deer, and we generally do 3 at a time.

That includes, removing any hair, trimming dried off, trimming all tallow off, any glands, trimming heavy cartillage, removing silver skin from back straps, cubing out stew meat, making roasts and steakettes, grinding hamburger and pork fat, vacuum sealing, and then washing all the equipment and area down.

We freeze big packs or do the sausage within a day or two. Sausage making is a much more laborious task. Especially if you smoke it before finishing it.

What takes us more time than most, is that we are very picky. No hair, no tallow, no glands, no blood shot, no heavy grisle, no driied out meat, roasts trimmed nicely, stew meat w no gisle, etc.

BUT the result is that everyone who has taken some game, loves it. And there is no gamey taste.....though we can tell whether it's moose or deer. In fact it's much better than any beef you can buy.....no tallow. The pork fat we add is bacon ends (and we keep the hamburger lean). The result is hamburger with bacon built right in.

Based on the work that can go into it, $250 per deer w sausage n bacon ends/pork fat and paper wrapped would be a very reasonable price. Add $50 per deer just for vacuum packing....but very worth it.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 12-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How's it taste? You might want to get some freezer paper and masking tape and wrap them up again. I'm not sure that I totally understand the type of plastic that they used but if it's as thin as saran wrap it sounds pretty flimsy.

To me the price sounds reasonable, maybe $1.00/lb for de-boning was a little high and I don't know about that wrap. Everything else seems par for the course IMO.
the kids and I just drove a ring of sausage in and its pretty good, no complaint there. By the sounds of most feedback thats the going rate so I'll quit my bitchin. (but I'm still going to pout about being charged for boxes and having to re-wrap )
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I think lefty was a butcher....... or his father......or maybe not even either of them.
Dads a butcher....I am a hack

When we butcher wild game for people or domestic animals we always treat it as if we are going to eat it ourselves. A large steer cut and wrapped along with burger takes us all day to do.

No doubt some folks may cut corners out there, but some take care I. How they do things too.

Last weekend we butchered the two deer I shot the last week of season and it took the two of us about 5 hours, cut and wrapped and no burger....just trim for sausage and roasts for jerky. We weren't racing and we visited but it is still a most of day affair.

LC
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM

At least he didn't double charge on the pork. Common approach is to charge say 2.00/lb for the added pork, then that weight is added to the other sausage. So say you have 30 lbs deer for garlic, they add 10 lbs pork, charged at 2.50/lb then you're charged the sausage rate, ie 2.50/lb for the entire 40 lbs.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Default 20 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Two hours to de-bone a deer.....WHAT!!! If I'm just de-boning to make sausage out of the whole deer it doesn't take nearly that long......20 minutes maybe if I took my time.
I will eat my 2 hr deer. You can eat your 20 minute deer.

Mine will have no silver skin,hair,fat,tendons or blood shocked or wasted meat. It will also have been done with sharp knives on an antisepticly clean table. And vacuum sealed so I can take it anytime. Will also have had a few drinks and good visit with my hunting friends. And it will be all cleaned up and ready to do again in that 2 (maybe more depending on who stops over) hours.

The point I was making that I like to take time to enjoy this aspect of hunting as well and that I save a few dollars on processing and get a great product to enjoy all year round.

Not everyone has the luxury of time that do when it comes to hunting. When I have more time and desire I will make and smoke all kinds if things.

The op has a time crunch. He spent $ to get around that. That is his deal. I offered a suggestion to soften the $ blow. And get criticized for the time I spend doing what I want to do.

I feel bad that you can bone out a deer in 20 minutes.

But to each their own.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
At least he didn't double charge on the pork. Common approach is to charge say 2.00/lb for the added pork, then that weight is added to the other sausage. So say you have 30 lbs deer for garlic, they add 10 lbs pork, charged at 2.50/lb then you're charged the sausage rate, ie 2.50/lb for the entire 40 lbs.
Actually it looks like that is what probably occurred.
55 lbs of garlic sausage
28 lbs Pepperoni
=83 lbs of sausage products

a 110 lb deer would not bone out anywhere near 83lbs

more likely it boned out to 55 lbs and had 28 lbs of pork added at $2.75 lb added to it, then he was charged out the respective sausage prices. All pretty standard procedure

At the end of the day the only really sketchy line item is the boxes. Are they returnable?

Oh and the vacuum packaging job sounds pretty iffy
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM

I recycled the boxes after i kicked the snot out of them...made me feel better about the whole deal
As far as the sketchy vac packing I left everything in the original packaging then put it all in ziploc freezer bags.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM

I paid about that this year for my 110 lb deer. I did get a good vacuum pack job though. I would be kind of ****ed about that. Wish I had time/knowledge/expertise to do it myself.

Imagine adding a butcher job on a moose to that and you will see flashing red signs like I did when I got my bill

Tastes pretty good though.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
What would the equivelent amount of product cost you in a store? Last i looked Garlic sausage is expensive per ring or lb...
Just bought 2 rings at Hamels in Bonnyville for 10.80$

Last Wild game I took in was 2010.

35 lbs of moose plus 30% pork plus vacuum sealing came out to about 170$

IIRC.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
for all those wondering on prices

de-boning
110lb x $1.00=$110
carcass disposal $15
garlic sausage
55lbs x $2.08= $114.40
pepperoni
28lbs x $2.40= $67.20
added pork
28lbs x $2.75= $77.00
boxes (if you can believe that)
2 x $4= $8.00

Total
$391.60 + GST= $407.73

I came to grips with the prices until I got home and opened up those $8 boxes and realized it all had to be re-sealed, looked like they vac packed it with Saran wrap. Oh well live and learn

Should be around 70 cents a lb cut and wrap.
Box charge is BS and gouging.
Just my 2 cents.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Dropped my deer with hide and all.
Made all into sausage with 50/50 pork mix. $575.00. Best part is freezer only holds about $150.00 worth, gave the rest to friends. And I will do it all again next year. If the wife only knew with all the fuel, time of work ect. They cost would be thousands. I don't care. It makes me happy.