Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Default I am looking for some good affordable binos

I am in the market for some new binos - only have budget to about 3-400 bucks-

May consider the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 or 10 x 42 - anyone have any experience with them.

Other option is to pick up a pair of Vortex Diamondback in 8 or 10x mag (10 x 42 /10 x 50) cheaper - still like the glass and good warranty

thoughts with the above?

I have checked out both at different times (in store) - like both - just wondering if any major things I should be considering.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 PM

I bought a set of Bushnell 10x44 HD Rainguard. They're great! I looked through more expensive binos and can't justify spending the extra coin. I think I paid either 300$ or 400$. They are medium size, light and don't fog up.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM

I ordered a pair of these for a gift, very impressed for the money, do a search for reviews.

http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/...42-binoculars/

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM

I agree with Dumoulin, I have a set of 10 x 42 Legends, you will have to spend a pile more money to get better glass!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
I bought a set of Bushnell 10x44 HD Rainguard. They're great! I looked through more expensive binos and can't justify spending the extra coin. I think I paid either 300$ or 400$. They are medium size, light and don't fog up.
X2 and you can find them cheaper online i got mine on amazon
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM

If that is all you want to spend check out Minox. Great German glass.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM

I would check into Weaver as well . Man those things are clear
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM

Have the vortex diamondbacks, paid $240 on sale at wholesale. Not bad at all for the money and an excellent warranty. Looked at several others in the same price range, or more, and these were at least as good glass as anything else I looked through, and the warranty settled it. Did end up looking at some Nikon monarch's and they were awesome, but didn't wanna spend the 550$
Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Default GOOD BINO's

Stay with German/Austrian (European) glass if at all possible? I would even suggest buying a good used pair just ot get the superior optics.
Not that there is anything wrong with the others but I have tried most of them- none compare to the qualtily of even the "budget" European glass! I suggest Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski/Meopta.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

$300-$400? Nikon Monarch 5. For a little more $ I would step up to the 7's, but the 5's are pretty darn good. Light, wide field of view, good glass.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Try Pentax

I have my eyes set on a pair of Pentax binos. I've compared them against the Zeiss Terras and they blow them away in all aspects. I also compared them against the Nikon Monarchs, and I would say that they are slightly better than the Monarchs, again for much less. I have found them at McBain camera (cheapest), but also at London Drugs.

http://www.mcbaincamera.com/productd...ain_id=2407412
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I really am impressed with these.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62195
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
$300-$400? Nikon Monarch 5. For a little more $ I would step up to the 7's, but the 5's are pretty darn good. Light, wide field of view, good glass.
Also some good options. I rate Japanese glass as top notch. These guys make some of the best lenses for cameras; same with Pentax. I too would love to own a $2k pair of Zeiss or Swaros, but reality bites and if that is the case then why not own the next best thing.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I ordered a pair of these for a gift, very impressed for the money, do a search for reviews.

http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/...42-binoculars/
I have to send my Leica's in for some warranty work and wanted a set of binos while mine were in for repairs. I chose this set based on reviews and my own use now on two weekends worth of coyote/ rabbit hunting, I must say for the money I'm impressed and would highly recommend.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
X2
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM

Check out zen ray.

I have 2 pairs now and am very impressed with them.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Stay with German/Austrian (European) glass if at all possible? I would even suggest buying a good used pair just ot get the superior optics.
Not that there is anything wrong with the others but I have tried most of them- none compare to the qualtily of even the "budget" European glass! I suggest Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski/Meopta.
X2. You can pick up some good used binos. A bud picked up some good 10x42 swaros on ebay last year, saved a few bucks and ended up with some great glass. Look around and hold out for Swaros or comparable. 10 years down the road you will thank yourself when your buds have went thru 2 or 3 pairs of the cheaper glass and ended up spending twice the money in the long run. Swaro will also rebuild an older set, upgrade the glass etc for a really reasonable price.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM

I would stick with Swaros also . Had mine redone by them a couple of years ago.I was out bear hunting and scratched the lenses on the saddle horn. Didn't realize they were hitting the saddle horn till I went to look through them. Had them back within 2 weeks from Rhode Island . Cost me $75.00

Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 PM

http://www.celestron.com/sports_outd...d-x-10x42.html these are what I have I REALLY LIKE THEM THEY ARE ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD NOW I REALLY LIKE THEN FOR 180 DOLLER BINOS YOU CAN GET THEM AT CAMPERS VILLAGE OR ON LINE
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have my eyes set on a pair of Pentax binos. I've compared them against the Zeiss Terras and they blow them away in all aspects. I also compared them against the Nikon Monarchs, and I would say that they are slightly better than the Monarchs, again for much less. I have found them at McBain camera (cheapest), but also at London Drugs.

http://www.mcbaincamera.com/productd...ain_id=2407412
Interesting that you consider the Pentax over the Zeiss! You do realize that you have to adjust the focus???

All kidding aside I've used both and will still prefer the Zeiss although I will concede their not he same as the Victory series, but quite comparable to the Conquest!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 PM

I picked up a new pair of Leupold BX-3 Mojave's 10x32 for 300$ last spring. DEFINATELY happy with that purchase. If I wasn't going with those I'd pick up a set of Vortex Diamondbacks or Vipers. They have a great warranty, although I'm not hard on my stuff so chances of having to USE said warranty is slim to none. Still a selling point for me though.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Nikon monarch 5, great binos