Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Great news... Arctic Sea Ice volume has dramatically increased!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25383373

Esa's Cryosat sees Arctic sea-ice volume bounce back
By Jonathan Amos

Science correspondent, BBC News, San Francisco

The bounce back in the extent of sea ice in the Arctic this summer was reflected also in the volume of ice.

Data from Europe's Cryosat spacecraft suggests there were almost 9,000 cu km of ice at the end of this year's melt season.

This is close to 50% more than in the corresponding period in 2012.

It is a rare piece of good news for a region that has witnessed a rapid decline in both area cover and thickness in recent years.

But scientists caution against reading too much into one year's "recovery".

"Although the recovery of Arctic sea ice is certainly welcome news, it has to be considered against the backdrop of changes that have occurred over the last few decades," said Prof Andy Shepherd of University College London, UK.

"It's estimated that there were around 20,000 cu km of Arctic sea ice each October in the early 1980s, and so today's minimum still ranks among the lowest of the past 30 years," he told BBC News.

Cryosat is the European Space Agency's (Esa) dedicated polar monitoring platform.

It has a sophisticated radar system that allows scientists to work out the thickness of the ice floes covering the Arctic Ocean.

In the three years following its launch, the spacecraft saw a steady decline in autumn ice volume, with a record low of 6,000 cubic km being recorded in late October 2012.

But after a sharply colder summer this year, the autumn volume number has gone up.

Measurements taken in the same three weeks in October found the floes to contain just shy of 9,000 cu km.

Thicker ice has been retained in the Arctic Part of this stronger performance can be put down to the greater retention of older ice.

This is evident particularly around the Canadian archipelago and North Greenland, where there is much more two-year-old and three-year-old ice than in previous years.

"One of the things we'd noticed in our data was that the volume of ice year-to-year was not varying anything like as much as the ice extent - at least for the years 2010, 2011 and 2012," explained Rachel Tilling from the UK's Nerc Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling (CPOM).

"This is why we're really quite surprised by what we've seen in 2013.

"We didn't expect the greater ice extent left at the end of the summer melt to be reflected in the volume.

"But it has been. And the reason is related to the amount of multi-year ice in the Arctic."

Dr Don Perovich is a sea-ice expert at Dartmouth College, US.

He said Cryosat's data tallied with observations made by other spacecraft.

"In previous summers, some of the [multi-year ice] migrated over to the Alaska and Siberia areas where it melted. But this past summer, it stayed in place because of a change in wind patterns. And so there'll likely be more multi-year ice next year than there was this year," he told BBC News.

Cryosat's radar has the resolution to see the Arctic's floes and leads
Some 7/8 of the ice tends to sit below the waterline - the draft
The aim is to measure the freeboard - the ice part above the waterline
Knowing this 1/8th figure allows Cryosat to work out sea-ice thickness
The thickness multiplied by the area of ice cover produces a volume
The minimum ice extent in the Arctic this summer was recorded as 5.10 million sq km. Again, this was a figure almost 50% larger than the all-time satellite-low mark achieved 12 months previously - when floes were reduced to just 3.41 million sq km by mid-September.

Area/extent is easier to measure, but scientists regard thickness/volume to be the best metric with which to judge the health of the ice pack, which is why Cryosat's unique data-set is so important.

For a while, it was uncertain whether the European satellite would get any autumn measurements this year.

The spacecraft suffered a major fault in its onboard power system at the beginning of October, and all science activity was halted.

But engineers managed to switch the satellite over to a back-up system and normal operations were resumed on 11 October.

"We lost the side 'A' of the power subsystem we believe for good, although we still have hope to be able to use part of it in the future in case we experience another issue," said Esa Cryosat mission manager Dr Tommaso Parrinello.

"Since 2 October, we have been operating on the redundant chain, but all other subsystems are still being operated on their prime chain 'A'. Therefore, the science instruments and the quality of data have not been affected."

The new Cryosat study was presented here in San Francisco to the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, where the annual Arctic Report Card was released.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM

But, but, but...... The polar bears are drowning, think of the polar bears.

Damn all that ice created by this warming, cooling.......change.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 AM

No no, that can't be true. Al Gore says otherwise
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Yay,
I was worried I'd have to start drinking more water to help, but more of it being frozen is just as good.
Time for my 10 am keg.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/1...in/#more-99349

Nature proves Al Gore wrong again
Posted on December 16, 2013 by Anthony Watts
Gore’s “ice free Arctic” prediction from five years ago, falsified by nature itself

The great bloviator has been pwned again, by the actions of nature itself. In Germany, five years ago this past Saturday, Al Gore claimed that the ““Entire north polar ice cap will be gone in 5 years” .

Click to see the original video, which has been disappeared from YouTube
Also, in Gore’s Dec. 10, 2007 “Earth has a fever” speech, Gore referred to a prediction by U.S. climate scientist Wieslaw Maslowski that the Arctic’s summer ice could “completely disappear” by 2013 due to global warming caused by carbon emissions.

He’s been proven wrong on those two predictions, and he’s likely to be proven wrong on a third, when he moved the goalposts in 2009 in this video.

While we had a new record low in 2012 for the summer minimum, the 2013 rebound made Gore’s predictions a certain failure.

Now, on the 5 year anniversary of his prediction on December 14th, 2008, the Arctic sea ice is within a standard deviation of the “normal” line, and global sea ice is actually above normal:

Arctic sea ice withing a standard deviation of the 1981-2010 average line:

Currently, both the North and South Pole are sporting massive ice caps:

To convince his followers in the future, maybe Mr. Gore will have to resort to airbrushing out the Arctic ice cap, like he did on his book: Not finding any, Gore airbrushes in hurricanes for his new book:

Above: Al Gore’s book cover foldout with 4 scary hurricanes, some rotating the wrong direction – hey where’s the ice? (Image courtesy of Dr. Ryan Maue).

With such a track record, one wonders why anyone but the “galactically stupid” would listen to Gore, the great bloviator, on climate any more.

James Lovelock was right about Gore, this from Climate Depot:

Alert: ‘Gaia’ scientist James Lovelock reverses himself: I was ‘alarmist’ about climate change & so was Gore! ‘The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago’

Climate Shocker: In 2007, Lovelock Predicted Global Warming Doom: ‘Billions of us will die; few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in Arctic’

There are too many Ehrlichs running amok in the media.

UPDATE: More goalpost moving. Now the new year is 2016 according to this story.

UPDATE2: It seems that it just isn’t extent and area that rebounded in 2013, but volume of the sea ice as well, something we’ve been told by top climate advocates was not likely to happen:

Data from Europe’s Cryosat spacecraft suggests there were almost 9,000 cu km of ice at the end of this year’s melt season.

This is close to 50% more than in the corresponding period in 2012.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25383373
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned

Where has AVB been lately?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Duh, its winter......
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Duh, its winter......
Ummm no .. we do not have summer /winter anymore we have climate change
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Climate change fears are about money and power. From my very small observation it is working very well. People follow, people believe, people pay.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Ummm no .. we do not have summer /winter anymore we have climate change
My mistake....must be cooling change time
Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 PM

THIS CAN'T BE!!!

I was just planning a "saving the polar bears" charity. We were going to install hockey rink ice making equipment in the Arctic Ocean. I was going to start the fund raising, while drawing a modest 1/2 mill annual salary. I was going to fly around the world on speaking tour to raise awareness and scream about carbon footprint from the door of my 747: Warm climates in the winter, and cool climates in the summer.

this could ruin me.

Drewski
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM

isnt that kinda like saying blackberry stock price is up 50%?? haha
Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Wow, good job!
1st we defeated the Ozon Hole, and now we are making progress in Global Warming!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
isnt that kinda like saying blackberry stock price is up 50%?? haha
No it's like a celebrating defeat of the night at sunrise (if I was Gore, I would have taken credit for that)

Edit: Grammar unaware today
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM

It's fun to make the same mistakes, jumping to the same conclusions, Gore and his crew made isn't it?????

Good thing now global warming is WRONG .......... for now at least ........lol

Armchair experts .......all of us .............lol

Creating OR Discounting a theory based on a short period of time is simply ridiculous - isn't it?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Stupid ice-caps don't know jack 'bout hockey sticks. Mmmmm, ice-caps, going to Tim's
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It's fun to make the same mistakes, jumping to the same conclusions, Gore and his crew made isn't it?????

Good thing now global warming is WRONG .......... for now at least ........lol

Armchair experts .......all of us .............lol

Creating OR Discounting a theory based on a short period of time is simply ridiculous - isn't it?
It must be fun to be a scientist and build models, and argue about details that make them prove or disprove the trend and it's causes.
I don't know and realize that I just can't know, it would take a life time and maybe longer to go through the details.
But I do know that watching activists getting on and off numerous "doom and gloom" scenarios in a few years to milk some grants and money IS fun .
I just can't wait for "fracing" hysteria to unfold, it will be even funnier for me in it's stupidity
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Poppycock!! I saw on TV a piece of ice break away from a glacier. We are doomed !!

Dodger.

P.S - I also saw a Polar bear and her cub walking the shore looking for food. We are doomed !!

Still Dodger.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 PM

Next will be global freezing. Let the doom & gloom begin.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Woah......
Water can actually melt and refreeze?
Temperatures can change?

What's next, a man will walk on the moon?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Woah......
Water can actually melt and refreeze?
Temperatures can change?

What's next, a man will walk on the moon?
Chinese landed a ship there on the weekend, can a Wal-Mart be far behind???......
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM

But I was so ready to pay my carbon taxes to save the polar bears! NOW where do I send all that extra money I don't need?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_ex...weather_events
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Default scary ice age prediction!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/1...st/#more-99397

The present “stagnation” of global temperature ( Fig. 5 ) is essentially due to the AMO/PDO: the solar de Vries cycle is presently at its maximum, around which it changes negligibly. The AMO/PDO is presently beyond its maximum, corresponding to the small decrease of global temperature. Its next minimum will be 2035. Due to the de Vries cycle the global temperature will drop until 2100 to a value corresponding to the “little ice age” of 1870.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Does this mean I can look forward to spending more time playing on my snow machines?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
But I was so ready to pay my carbon taxes to save the polar bears! NOW where do I send all that extra money I don't need?
I will happily relieve you of your extra cash
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
You could import seals from Newfoundland and turn them loose on the shore for the polar bears.