Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 AM

Default License question that makes me go "Huh?"

So...my mother wanted to get a general WT deer tag for rifle season. She has her WIN card and goes down to the local Canadian Tire. The girl at the counter inputs her WIN number and the computer spits out that she is not able to get a license as she has not had one in this province before (she is a resident). Apparently, the reason given is that she has not taken the AEHIA hunter safety course.

....but she has held numerous licenses back in Manitoba before she moved here.

So I went to talk to the girl to ask why my mother was denied. Here is why I was so confused:

The hunting regs clearly state that you (being a 'first-timer' in AB) do not need the course if you have held licenses elsewhere.

and also: the requirement for the first-timers to take the AEHIA course does not come into effect until the 2014 season.

Am I missing something here?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Phone ISM at 1-888-944-5494 and discuss the situation. More than likely when your mother completed her WIN card application she didn't initial the hunting eligibility side of the application. It would be as simple as going back to a license provider, getting them to call ISM while your mother completes a updated WIN application form. The rep at the ISM help desk will be able to make the change immediately so your mother will be able to purchase her tag right away.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM

And that right there is why I love this board! The right answer...right away!

Thank you my friend!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
Phone ISM at 1-888-944-5494 and discuss the situation. More than likely when your mother completed her WIN card application she didn't initial the hunting eligibility side of the application. It would be as simple as going back to a license provider, getting them to call ISM while your mother completes a updated WIN application form. The rep at the ISM help desk will be able to make the change immediately so your mother will be able to purchase her tag right away.
Exactly correct.You dont even have to call in. Just go to a license issuer. She will have to initial the box that says she has previously had a hunting license. The rep calls in to get it changed. 2 minutes later, tag in hand.