Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Back Country Hunting

Are there many people on here that hunt in the back country overnight?

If so, what is your advice on what to take? What you need to know? Tips & Tricks. Best 4 season tent? Best bags? Best packs? Best boots?

I saw the post on sheep gear, so that pretty much covers kit makeup, but wanted to see what other information I can gather.

Cheers,

-N
Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
Are there many people on here that hunt in the back country overnight?

If so, what is your advice on what to take? What you need to know? Tips & Tricks. Best 4 season tent? Best bags? Best packs? Best boots?

I saw the post on sheep gear, so that pretty much covers kit makeup, but wanted to see what other information I can gather.

Cheers,

-N
That's a huge topic to cover. A guy could write a book on the subject. I've posted on this subject in several threads as have other knowledgable folks. I would try a search for threads on here for more specific info.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Yep, the sheep threads are a great resource. There are some pretty experienced guys on here. i can add a couple things: an external pack frame will let you carry far more than an internal frame pack when you kill something. Best socks are made of merino wool, I like icebreaker mountaineering socks best, but smart wool works too, as does fox river poly if you can't do wool. Try all your gear on shorter trips to expose any weaknesses. A knife made from S30v will hold its edge a long time, as long as it is only used as a knife. Learn the gutless method (youtube fred eichler gutless elk)so you don't have to pack a saw/extra bones. Paracord is worth more than gold in the back country. No cotton clothes. Ok that's enough, this really will turn into a book. Where ya headed?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 AM

search, sheep gear
lots of info.... the lighter your gear to better your trip
start with over night trips n work your way up...
7 day is a little much for a 1st timer, but if you like it you will find ways to stay out longer, i think 14 days in the early season is lots of fun, 7 in late season,,,

good pack, good boots, good rain gear
should be high on the list

i dont like packing a 4 season tent because of weight, ive used a summer tent in the winter, wasnt fun but i did it...

im going out in jan or feb in this to see what its like in the winter
http://store.kifaru.net/megatarp-p85.aspx

and test your gear before taking it on your hunt, nothing worst then something failing
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the help

Those Kifaru tipis with the wood stoves look pretty cool. I am really liking the look of some of their stuff.

Anyone ever go solo? tips for solo hunting?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
Thanks for the help

Those Kifaru tipis with the wood stoves look pretty cool. I am really liking the look of some of their stuff.

Anyone ever go solo? tips for solo hunting?
Get a SPOT, be extra careful with your footing and that sort of thing, make sure you have the rigging with you stay dry and warm at all times, be able to get a fire going in crap weather no problem, pack water/stay hydrated, don't camp under big dead timber, be careful using your knife, carry a flashlight/headlamp and extra batteries, pack a map and learn how to use a compass and gps/learn to navigate, tell someone where you are heading, if you think things are getting a little haywire remain calm, learn to debone and cape stuff, have fun, etc etc. For backpacking the Kifaru tent and stove would be a bit heavy for a solo trip. Horse, boat, quad or plane it would be great but for back packing you need a good light tent.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM

Kifaru is definitely good stuff, I have one of their packs and love it. I would also check out Seek Outdoors and Mountain Ti, their stuff is actually a little lighter and less expensive.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM

my kifaru tent (maga tara, with anex, with a couple mods) is under 800 grams, there new stove is under 2 lbs
thats still lighter then a lot of peoples set ups...

i love hunting solo in the back country, but its gets lonely after about 5-6 days
theres pros n cons to both solo n partner

having the right partner will make the world of difference
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 PM

X2 on the SPOT. And add Quik Clot to your med kit. Trust me sewing up your own skin is not fun. Prefer solo hunting, less "my wife/kids/job" stuff to deal with. But a lot more work when you get something. Solo hunting is more about not getting in trouble and having the mental toughness to keep at it. Gets hard around day 4-5 if you're not seeing anything.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
X2 on the SPOT. And add Quik Clot to your med kit. Trust me sewing up your own skin is not fun. Prefer solo hunting, less "my wife/kids/job" stuff to deal with. But a lot more work when you get something. Solo hunting is more about not getting in trouble and having the mental toughness to keep at it. Gets hard around day 4-5 if you're not seeing anything.
crazy glue n med tape works really good.
and they have many other uses too...

thats one thing i try to find, is 1 thing that can do many jobs, saves tons of weight....

my pack last yr for 10 days was 55lbs,
thats everything in my pockets, gun, water...everything but my boots pants n tee shirt.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Banned

Default kifaru

Just looked at kifaru's new oval stove. Watched assembly video.

When Patrick was talking about screens he said "to much damping can kill you".
Screens are always plugging up so anybody using screens in the stove pipe be careful.

If a stove is designed right it does not use screens in the stove pipe to stop sparks.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 PM

Buy a spot and send a message every morning and every night. I have a pack-alarm for around my tent (look it up on google). I have bear spray for in the tent, its easier to use than swing a rifle around in a small space. Bear spray only buys you time to get orientated and get ready to shoot. Always have access to water, (filter, tablets or boiling) there's nothing worse than being dehydrated. Once you find a good water source on the mountain, you should drink enough water till you feel full and then load up on your supply. Bring enough food and have some spare food in your truck. If you've ate all the food in your pack, then you have something to eat when you make it back to the truck (if your like me you'll be hungry). Before you go triple check your gear, then when you have eliminated the useless stuff, check it a couple more times. After one trip you'll know what you need and what you don't. Game bags with something to keep the blood off of your pack (garbage bag or similar). The smell of blood stays on your pack awhile, so the cleaner the better when in bear/wolf country. Never take any risks by yourself. I have passed up on game because of a bad location or the wrong time of day. Most importantly, think carefully about decisions made out there as they will affect what you may have to do tomorrow and maybe even the next day. Take the time to get good pics.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
crazy glue n med tape works really good.
and they have many other uses too...

thats one thing i try to find, is 1 thing that can do many jobs, saves tons of weight....

my pack last yr for 10 days was 55lbs,
thats everything in my pockets, gun, water...everything but my boots pants n tee shirt.
Wow 10 days@55lbs. You really got your system down, good for you. Someday i'll hopefully get there.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM

The Spot system is good but this year I upgraded to the Inreach and believe it was a great move. No need for a GPS as the Inreach maps
Are very detailed and accurate. When alone on extended hunts it's nice to be able to send and receive text messages and emails.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Know your nutritional requirements and pack accordingly. Too little and too much food both put you off your game. Spend the money on boots, pack, shelter, optics, and a water purification systems. You can have itchy pants, a shirt that fits not-so-well, a bulky pillow, a heavy sleeping bag, a clunky stove, etc BUT a broken ankle, a water born parasite, or a cold, wet tent will kill you. Going in with bad optics is a recipe for failure. When it is 5 miles and 10,000 feet away, you want to know if that is a shoot or a pass animal before you start the hike.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.