Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

Get a Rottwieller, simply the best dog out there. Extremely loyal, excellent with kids, we had a baby (15mo ago) and our rottie is 10 in 19 days. At first we weren't sure what to expect with him but he took right to the baby like our 11yr old son, there is nothing those boys can do to "Frank" to annoy him. As far as hunting dog goes, I'm not a migratory bird hunter, but he is a natural retriever, I found that out the first time I shot a grouse, I did t have to say a word and he had that chicken at my feet. He can't pass a fresh set of deer or moose tracks without trying to follow them either.

Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM

My girl Maggie. Great bay dog. Amazing prey drive and an outstanding blood tracker. When she's not working she's a huge couch potato, but don't get me wrong, she has to work everyday. She's a Black Mouth Cur. From squirrels to hogs, they are great hunters. Her momma is a great bird flushing dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM

I've always loved the goldens they are so intelligent , and people friendly.id have to say though that hounds are my favorite ,coon hounds, fox hounds,blood hounds , beagles, they are all good.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Golden Retriever gets my vote. Gentle dogs, especially with children. Great bird dogs, and dogs that LOVE the water !!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Have you heard about the definition of unconditional love?

Put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car, drive around for three hours, then see which one is happy to see you.
Holy hell that is funny.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Holy hell that is funny.
Not when you open the trunk, it isn't!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM

I'm looking into Australian Cattle Dogs aka Blue Heelers myself. Super smart, loyal, protective and very pretty as well. Only thing is, my research says they're very energetic and need to be exercised a ton. Could be a problem for some people, and is part of the reason I don't have one yet since I can't devote the time.

That said, I have no interest in waterfowl hunting and with upland hunting, I don't mind picking up my own birds even though hunting over a good dog is a real treat.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Anyone got any info on the Vizsla breed? They seem like they'd be a good duel purpose dog like a Lab without the shedding.
I've had V's for 15 years. They do shed,.... all the time...although their coat is very soft an doesn't have the annoying "stuck with a pin" type of effect.

They are very versatile, but, they are not for everyone.

And be cautious, there are getting to be some "kijiji" breeders out there. Talk to a reputable breeder if you are interested.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM

Ive owned 2 Brittany's over the past 13 years, awesome pets with childeren and good all around huner and companion.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 PM

I have a german longhaired pointer. beautiful, intelligent, and excellent disposition, but if you get any of the german pointers be aware of the energy levels. when the breed standard says high energy take their word for It. I have 2 different dogs. before the run at the dog park and after the run.