Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Best all-round hunting/family dog ( not a lab )

Just curious what people's opinions are , outside of labs. Everyone knows what labs are about . What about Brittany's or GSPs and all the other ones running around ?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Lots of good breed options. Most of the Versatile breeds do well as combination hunting dog / family pet.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM

i got a gsp a few months ago , he is awesome !!! sweetest dog i ever met, but man does he have energy , walking him doesn't cut it ,he needs to run alot.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM

After having been a lab man all my life, I adopted a German Wirehair Pointer from the SPCA. It's taken a bit to get the worst of his bad habits dealt with, but man, what a great dog. Sold me on the breed from Labs. Didn't think that could happen. Interestingly, the breed was used by circuses as they are natural clowns. That fits in with what we've seen.

My next will probably be another wirehaired...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Without any hesitation, Golden Retriever.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
X2
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
After having been a lab man all my life, I adopted a German Wirehair Pointer from the SPCA. It's taken a bit to get the worst of his bad habits dealt with, but man, what a great dog. Sold me on the breed from Labs. Didn't think that could happen. Interestingly, the breed was used by circuses as they are natural clowns. That fits in with what we've seen.

My next will probably be another wirehaired...
X2 We too took in a wirehair of some sort last spring, still a pup at two. Very eager to please and the sweetest disposition I have every seen in a dog.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 PM

hmmmmm, yep I concur with Deutsche-Drahthaar also known as german wired hair although I like the short hair as well but in that order. but still wouldn't replace my labs lol
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

I love the sound of my Beagle. A little hound dog with tons of hearth, extremely loving. They gota run though. Wicked rabbit hunters, great friends. Best dog I ever had.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
A little hound dog with tons of hearth
He carries a fireplace around with him?

Sorry... couldn't resist

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Brittney do both field and water well.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Brittney do both field and water well.
I love my Brittany too, great family dog as well. He's a lot friendlier than he is smart, and he isn't dumb.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Default all around dog

Believed it or not but the rottwieler can easily be trained to flush birds and retrieve. Mine are trained to flush and retrieve grouse they love it and love water. Rot ties are natural herders too if you work horses or cattle that was the rotties original purpose to herd sheep and cattle. Mine herd the horses and didn't even need to train they just known how by instinct. Will have a second litter in Nov our first litter this year went fast
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM

My Large Munsterlander is a big goof, I think I see his at home couch potato developing, it shows more if he has had the better part of 2 hours of running but at 18 months he still has his puppy restlessness. A little too happy greeting folks at home, in general he loves people, and wants to hang out.

I think bird dogs in general make excellent pets, as long as they get enough exercise.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
I love my Brittany too, great family dog as well. He's a lot friendlier than he is smart, and he isn't dumb.
I have one too. Very loving and gentle. You can fight him and he won't close his mouth around you hard, ever. Almost never barks. Water retrieves as well as upland work (though he won't water retrive when the temperatue dips in October, coat too thin.. Tons of energy. Best have a high fence. Mine goes right over 5 foot fences. We go to a dog park, we walk inside while he runs around outside of it because he jumps the fence.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 AM

We have three Brittanys and couldn't imagine life without them!

We have hunted with them, done agility classes, and have participated in a few disk trial with them.

The only thing I don't like is that we have never been able to train them to walk well on a leash, they just want to run, run, and run!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Brittany here too, if you raise the dog with children then you will have no issues and they will play together great. If the dog has been raised around adults, the Brittany will just avoid children. My Brittany has not and never would bite anyone and you would be hard pressed to find a situation where this dog has bit someone. I have never seen a Brittany that was not friendly, but if the dog is abused it will be very shy.

This dog has a common flaw hip dysplasia, you can talk with the breeder and see if the blood line has this issue.

One thing to remember about the Brittany is that they are NOT guard dogs. If someone breaks into your house the dog will hide or tell the robber where the good stuff is. I'm not trying to say they are total cowards, my Brittany went toe to toe with a black bear, growling with her hackles up, in the summer and the bear decided to leave. Also, lots of energy, you can run the dogs all day.

The Brittany is a very smart dog, but you have to spend time training them and remember to be kind. You will find that the dog is very emotional and can be very sensitive if you are aggressive with them. With the hunting aspect of the dog not much training is required. The biggest problem i found is that Brittany's are runners, they will take off and you need to train them very quickly not to do this.

Brittany's don't like to be alone, they are social dogs that need a friend. I bring my dog with me to most places. If you leave them alone for a long period they will destroy stuff!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
We have three Brittanys and couldn't imagine life without them!

We have hunted with them, done agility classes, and have participated in a few disk trial with them.

The only thing I don't like is that we have never been able to train them to walk well on a leash, they just want to run, run, and run!!!
If anyone can get a Brittany to walk on a leash, I would be interest to know how you did it.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM

the wife is really interested in the GWPs. theyre hypoallergenic and very athletic which is more important to me, i need a running partner. does anyone know any breeders they would recommend?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM

IF GWP is on your radar and your going to hunt it, add DD, arguably the same dog (hopefully no DD owners saw that they get touchy about that) but for sure from a hunting line.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Gwp

I own GWP's and I would doubt the hypoallergenic claim.

They can be a great family dog but be aware that a good dog from hunting lines likes to ran hard at least a few days a week. My dog will run over 10 miles a day if I let it and be ready for more at a moments notice. Unlike labs this does not seem to go away at around 2 years of age ( I have had a FT lab as well). They do not like being left alone and their wirehair gets into everything and sticks into cloth and is hard to get out. They drool water over the whole kitchen after drinking and then place that big wet beard on your lap. Mine also kill any cat they see and retrieve it to me and drop it at my feet waiting for a good pet for doing what it was bred to do.

That being said I love mine and think they are the best looking dog out there. Go to www.gundogbreeders.com and www.versatiledogs.com and www.gundogforum.com and you will find all the info you need. A well bred GWP or DD will run $800-1200 usually. McNally kennel was one of the few local breeders in Alberta but I think he has moved now. I picked my dogs out of the states but the breeder is not having anymore litters.

Ryan
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM

I'll have to admit I've never noticed a problem with my GWP hair getting anywhere. The amount of hair is soooo much lower than my yellow lab shed. This dog also lives with an old, blind cat without issue, but will steal the cats food faster than my lab. If a cat runs, he is on it though. So far he hasn't caught any around our area. He does not do the gluttony thing like a lab though.

He is crate trained and stays in the crate when we are out. He does get into stuff if we leave him out. Also, if we put him in the dog run and leave, he doesn't do well. He does much better in the crate.

I thought McNally did GSP's though?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
If anyone can get a Brittany to walk on a leash, I would be interest to know how you did it.
Me too!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Chesapeake. Great hunting dog, family dog, watch dog, and kid guardian!! A bit busy, but a fantastic piece of equipment.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
We've tried a bunch of different harnesses and they work for about 2 walks, then he's got them figured out.

The only one that's worked consistently is a haltie, he still pulls, but it's a lot better.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I dd a lousy job of leash training mine, but I mostly take him on walks off-leash to get him some exercise, and it was relatively easy to teach him to heel, come, stay, etc.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM

if britannys are so hard on leash and like to run, what the heck do you do with them in field. just hope they dont run off on you? are they stubborn dogs?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
if britannys are so hard on leash and like to run, what the heck do you do with them in field. just hope they dont run off on you? are they stubborn dogs?
They do like to run, but are trainable, and not particularly stubborn. I think they are fairly sensitive.

As far as control in the field, my dog knows and reacts to the following commands if he is within earshot:
-"Stay",
-"sit",
-"heel",
-"go" (release command),
-"come",
-"slow down" (walk instead of run. I have no idea how he actually learned this. I think it's just the tone of my voice),
-"this way" (proceed in my general direction without coming directly to me. Again, mystery how he learned this)
-"fetch" or "get the bird"

Now I freely admit that if he sees a squirrel or a flush these commands ae forgotten a lot of the time. LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
X3

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Maybe not anything that you have in mind but my family always had a load of Gordon Setters through the years I was growing up. Great upland dog that will retrieve water fowl as well. Fantastic, loyal, child friendly family dog with loads of personality that will run forever.